Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 65

Author Topic: Shores of Hazeron (new thread with the last updates)  (Read 137146 times)

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Shores of Hazeron (new thread with the last updates)
« Reply #60 on: June 14, 2013, 12:23:11 pm »

Argh, went to go build a new space station, only to find that the crate carrying everything I had, including all my designs up to that point, mysteriously disappeared. What the hell.
I appear to have dropped it while trying to drop something that was in it. I can see it now, actually.
happens too, with the way gravity works, they even can be sent far away if you give them enough force.
This sounds like a buggy version of DF, when Toady decides to implement a realistic physics system.

Or an average round of Space Station 13.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2013, 01:03:49 pm by My Name is Immaterial »

Kaje

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 14, 2013, 12:25:09 pm »

Well, if you're on OUR moon and you push something, not fastened down, with enough force - you won't see it again.

Sounds fairly reasonable to me!

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 14, 2013, 01:21:56 pm »

happens also if you accidentally fill the jump bar on a moon, you practically almost get out of it, or in the case of getting accidentaly out of the rocket, the rocket advances some time before returning to the moon (if he didnt got enough escape velocity) and doesnt even explodes.

in fact, players can fall to planets without dying if i can remember, looks like the game doesnt recognize damage by fall yet. of course, if you fall in a gas giant, you're dead, or in lava or in a sea of hydrocarbures, but for the most part, free fall in a rocky planet or a moon doesnt kill you
« Last Edit: June 14, 2013, 01:24:08 pm by xaritscin »

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 14, 2013, 01:44:37 pm »

happens also if you accidentally fill the jump bar on a moon, you practically almost get out of it, or in the case of getting accidentaly out of the rocket, the rocket advances some time before returning to the moon (if he didnt got enough escape velocity) and doesnt even explodes.

in fact, players can fall to planets without dying if i can remember, looks like the game doesnt recognize damage by fall yet. of course, if you fall in a gas giant, you're dead, or in lava or in a sea of hydrocarbures, but for the most part, free fall in a rocky planet or a moon doesnt kill you
Most falls are safe, for some reason, but propelled falling is lethal.  Jumping out of a moving ship will crash you into a planet fatally, but terminal velocity just falling doesn't hurt, usually.

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: June 14, 2013, 03:53:00 pm »

Most falls are safe, for some reason, but propelled falling is lethal.  Jumping out of a moving ship will crash you into a planet fatally, but terminal velocity just falling doesn't hurt, usually.

yup, and of course, the famous atmodive/sundive

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 14, 2013, 05:51:32 pm »

I dunno, recently, I took a space rocket up a short distance out of the atmosphere, turned it around, and went back at full speed. I jumped out second before the rocket hit the atmosphere. I don't know if the rocket survived or not, but I skipped off the surface of the air without damage.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 14, 2013, 06:25:50 pm »

I dunno, recently, I took a space rocket up a short distance out of the atmosphere, turned it around, and went back at full speed. I jumped out second before the rocket hit the atmosphere. I don't know if the rocket survived or not, but I skipped off the surface of the air without damage.

that's explained, you got out of the rocket before the rocket touched the atmosphere, even if you stayed in the rocket after it, you have some seconds to scape before dying to incineration as far as i can remember.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: June 16, 2013, 09:10:51 pm »

This game is starting to jam my internet connection again. It's not limited to ingame, either.

Here's what happens:

Open launcher. I takes a variable amount of time to load the menu, while it checks for an update. Occasionally hangs, requiring closing the program(sometimes forcing it closed).
Enter Game. Everything fine.
Select character. If logging in works, this works as well.
Limbo. Download speed is about 20kb/s for a few seconds. Then practically nothing, a few bytes/second, but that's it. This persists for about a full minute, where it will jump back up to 20-30kb/s.
Game world loads. Download speed craps out again. Occassionally, chat messages come through. No other response from the game, although later login attempts show that some of the sent commands worked, such as switching the currently equipped item.
After a while of this, my connection to the network disappears entirely. Can reconnect after exiting the game.

Also note, the download speeds I'm seeing aren't necessarily just Hazeron's activity, everything is affected. Normal speed is usually around 50kb/s, but it should be faster(dunno why it's going so slow recently). Windows Useless Network Diagnostic, being what it is, will either report that nothing is wrong, that it doesn't know what's wrong, or (my favorite) it has confirmed that something is, in fact, wrong.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Leonon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: June 16, 2013, 10:45:38 pm »

After it was suggested in chat I tested a helicopter in space to see if it worked, it did. After some more testing I figured out that I could get a helicopter to Hazeron's lightspeed.

I was hoping there was an oversight that would let it surpass that speed, but it's still a great victory for helicopters everywhere.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: June 16, 2013, 11:44:13 pm »

I was hoping there was an oversight that would let it surpass that speed, but it's still a great victory for helicopters everywhere.
This is how you can tell when the Bay12 guys are on Hazeron.  Hoping to go past the speed of light in a helicopter in space seems like the most rational option available.

alexandertnt

• Bay Watcher
  • (map 'list (lambda (post) (+ post awesome)) posts)
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: June 17, 2013, 02:25:27 am »

If you manually try to move diagonally while travelling at light speed you can inch past light speed... Doesnt do anything amazing though.
This is when I imagine the hilarity which may happen if certain things are glichy. Such as targeting your own body parts to eat.

You eat your own head
YOU HAVE BEEN STRUCK DOWN!

Leonon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: June 17, 2013, 08:26:16 pm »

If you manually try to move diagonally while travelling at light speed you can inch past light speed... Doesnt do anything amazing though.
I actually tried that, but Hazeron helicopters only have forward and reverse thrust so they can't go up/down or left/right under their own power.
This is how you can tell when the Bay12 guys are on Hazeron.  Hoping to go past the speed of light in a helicopter in space seems like the most rational option available.
I may have laughed far too hard at that.

Moghjubar

• Bay Watcher
  • Science gets you to space.
    • View Profile
    • Demon Legend
« Reply #72 on: June 17, 2013, 08:44:36 pm »

We actually tried diagonal lightspeed++ awhile back with ships, it apparently limits you properly even if you are going in X, Y, and Z planes all at the same time.
Steam ID
Making things in Unity
Current Project: Demon Legend
Also working on THIS! Farworld Pioneers
Mastodon

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: June 29, 2013, 08:18:20 pm »

acording to the last update the defense buildings are now functional, well, NPC citizens still dont use them and the effects on shield bases arent showed yet. but its a matter of time until we get real planet warfare, along with destroyable buildings

http://www.hazeron.com/update.html
« Last Edit: June 29, 2013, 09:18:32 pm by xaritscin »

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: September 28, 2013, 01:17:43 pm »

rising this thread because it doesnt make sense to create a new one.

Locator Map Doesn't Match World, Especially Inferno

Many people reported that the locator map showed land where there was water/lava instead. Improved code that creates the locator map to be more precise about shorelines. Fixed a bug that affected only inferno worlds, making them particularly bad before.
Submarine Lights and Power Buttons Repeat
The commands to turn the lights and power on/off on a submarine were incorrectly configured as repeating commands. When pressing P or L in a sub, the power/lights would flicker on/off until you let go. Fixed.

Shear Terrain At 180E/W

Widened the blend zone between the east and west edges of the terrain. Previously, this was only 1 degree wide so the result was shear cliffing along the 180E/W longitude line sometimes. The blend zone is now 10 degrees wide, which does a better job of hiding the seam and smoothing the cliffs. This WILL affect cities built in those areas. Buildings and roads will not change their current sea-level altitude, regardless of whether the new blend causes the terrain to go up or down around them. Those buildings and roads may end up high on pedestals or deep in holes and valleys.

Planet Textures Cached

Surface textures created for planets are now cached in the SoH temporary files folder. This improves the load time when returning to a solar system that you have already visited.

No FTL When No Pilot

Engineer no longer fires the FTL drive when there is no pilot manning the helm.

Terrain Frequency Bug

Terrain frequency was too high on small moons and too low on large worlds. This caused severely jagged terrain on moons and shallow boring terrain on large worlds. This is fixed but it will not affect existing worlds, only new worlds that are created/regenerated. (Worlds are regenerated when the contents of their solar system are restored after decaying.)

Map Menu 'Track' Command

Locator map now has a 'Track My Location' option on the right-click popup menu.

Sticky Me On Map

Nerfed code that caused the locator map to track your location when the crosshair was dragged close to your location. This caused your blinking icon to feel 'sticky' when trying to examine the map near your location.

Water Factor Bug

Adjusted a water factor used when generating terrain based on hydrographics coverage of a world. The change should produce slightly more land vs water/lava (10% or so). The goal is to have at least some minimal land on those worlds with 100% hydrographics. This was done on
old-style worlds but the margin was lost when the new worlds were implemented. This change does not affect existing worlds, only new worlds that are created/regenerated.

Ringworlds

Ringworlds are done enough to post this update. Here are some of the details about what is done and what is not done.

ingworld terrain is now generated using Perlin noise, like the new style planets.

Ringworlds are now created in multiple arc sections.

Arc size is consistent between ringworlds of different radii. This means that larger ringworlds are made of more arc segments. The number of
arc segments is based on orbit radius, in Au.
.25 au = 5 ringworld arc segments.
.5 au = 10 ringworld arc segments.
.75 au = 15 ringworld arc segments.
1 au = 20 ringworld arc segments.
1.25 au = 25 ringworld arc segments.
All ringworlds are the same width, regardless of orbit radius.
Each ringworld arc acts like an independent world in the habitable zone.
3 resource zones
1 officer
1000 max population per resource zone

Governance - A governor administers each arc, just like a planet.

Naming - Each arc can be named individually.

Map - Maps show only your current arc. You can no longer scroll maps all the way around a ringworld.

Sensor - There are selection errors on sensor screens that will be fixed. Presently, attempts to select a ringworld will result in an unpredictable/random choice of segments.

Atmosphere - All arc sections have the same atmosphere type and density, though atmo quality will vary between sections.

When at the seam between two ringworld arcs, creatures, items, spacecraft and vehicles across the seam on the neighboring arc are not
visible. This is a bug that will be fixed.

A ringworld with 25 arc segments took about 3 minutes to create all the surface textures to render the scene on my computer.

AI crew knows how to pilot and navigate around these new ringworlds ok.

Hull walls and back are not currently obstructing movement. Walking off the world at the north and south polar rim is kind of weird.

There are zones on ringworlds that are forbidden to construction. The construction cursor informs of this.

Probability of a ringworld occurring in a system is not changed. The probability is currently 5% at all stars where the habitable zone is 1.25au or less.

There is one shadow panel per ringworld arc section.

Shadow panels now have thickness and they curve instead of being large flat slabs. They still do not obstruct movement, however.

Ringworlds and shadow panels are now rendered using GLSL shaders.

Ringworlds are now lit by all suns. Old style ringworld terrain was only lit by the sun it orbited.

Some objects (creatures, items, vehicles, spacecraft) are still rendered using the old Cg shaders. These objects will not be darkened by the new ringworld shadow panels until they are updated. They will remain brightly lit at night even though everything else around them is in darkness.

Slab Construction Bug
Fixed a bug that caused road slabs to often be rejected when the cursor looked like they were ok.

Crash When Mounted
Fixed a bug that caused the client program to crash if you logged in while your dude was mounted on a horse.

Server Crash
Fixed a bug that caused a server to crash last week. I don't recall the details.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 65