Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 ... 65

Author Topic: Shores of Hazeron (new thread with the last updates)  (Read 137076 times)

Azrayel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Shores of Hazeron (new thread with the last updates)
« Reply #630 on: August 13, 2015, 08:18:46 pm »

Someone sell me on this game.

It was a lark with some friends a while back, didn't get into space but we did get to SUVs.  But uh.

$5 to activate my account for 15 days?

$10 recurring subscription?

PayPaL payment only?

Like what.  Whuttttt.
I then asked a porcupine about its troubles and the game crashed.

Motherland Calling: Tsar Needs Block Breakers

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #631 on: August 13, 2015, 08:23:37 pm »

The worst decision in history of this game, which will (hopefully) kill it finally and some other people make a new, better one.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

Azrayel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #632 on: August 13, 2015, 08:25:46 pm »

The worst decision in history of this game, which will (hopefully) kill it finally and some other people make a new, better one.

iDon't want to pretend to know shit, I'm making a 2D Platformer in Unity right now and find that extremely challenging so mayhaps it's just my noobishness, but don't most projects like these die from being way too over ambitious?  And extremely complicated?

Like what he's already created is impressive inandof itself and has gone on since 1999.  I'm not saying you couldn't poop out a Hazeron clone in a year, but you'd need an experienced motherfucker and they wouldn't do it
>for free
unless we got some kind of crazy passion`nauts.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #633 on: August 13, 2015, 08:32:16 pm »

iDon't want to pretend to know shit, I'm making a 2D Platformer in Unity right now and find that extremely challenging so mayhaps it's just my noobishness, but don't most projects like these die from being way too over ambitious?  And extremely complicated?
Depends really, some people shit out very complicated games pretty fast, the major problem with Hazeron would be proably getting a whole galaxy to work, without lag.
I'm not saying you couldn't poop out a Hazeron clone in a year, but you'd need an experienced motherfucker and they wouldn't do it
>for free
Maybe not for free, but it could be way better managed than SoH, so it would actually be worth those 5$ or 10$, maybe it would be like GW where you pay for it once, or some kind of crowdfunding. AFAIK, there was a group of people set up after Haxus shut down SoH that had some srs plans to make their own better Hazeron, dunno how that worked out (proably not well, since I haven't heard of them since then).
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

Azrayel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #634 on: August 13, 2015, 08:37:06 pm »

Depends really, some people shit out very complicated games pretty fast, the major problem with Hazeron would be proably getting a whole galaxy to work, without lag.
I'm not saying you couldn't poop out a Hazeron clone in a year, but you'd need an experienced motherfucker and they wouldn't do it
>for free
Maybe not for free, but it could be way better managed than SoH, so it would actually be worth those 5$ or 10$, maybe it would be like GW where you pay for it once, or some kind of crowdfunding. AFAIK, there was a group of people set up after Haxus shut down SoH that had some srs plans to make their own better Hazeron, dunno how that worked out (proably not well, since I haven't heard of them since then).

This is one of those things I'll dream about doing as I try (and mostly fail) at doing other much simpler things.

iDo have a friend who knows a thing or too about network stuff, though, and I've always wanted to do a crowdfunding campaign.  Maybe after I've actually released something and proven I wouldn't just take du Monai and run.

Here's an idea: rather than a galaxy, just make it like a star cluster but make things take longer\require more resources?  To compensate you'd have stuff like enter-able buildings and tolerable melee.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #635 on: August 13, 2015, 08:39:43 pm »

star cluster
Go big or go home.
Universe Simulator.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #636 on: August 13, 2015, 08:44:26 pm »

Ugh.

Hazeron is a fun game. I enjoy it.
Though while it's fun, it's also laggy, and has an eccentric creator. It has a smallish community and you have to pay to play it.
It's fun. I'd say it's worth it. The only reason I'm not playing right now is that I'm waiting for an update that I've been anticipating for a while now.

I seriously do not get the unwarranted hostility. Why actively wish failure for Hazeron? For one, it's a one-of-a-kind-game that will not be replicated any time soon. I don't really get wanting a game to fail and disappear forever because you don't agree with the sole developer.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #637 on: August 13, 2015, 09:11:07 pm »

I personally don't like Shores of Hazeron, and I'll tell you why.

Hazeron is a good game. It does a lot of stuff that's already pretty hard to come by in games already at a scale nobody else has managed.

And every time I tried to play it, I outright couldn't. It was so insanely laggy, so ridiculously choppy, that I couldn't do anything useful in the game. Even trying to start my own empire, multiple times, several times where I even managed to get myself out in the far end of the universe where nobody else was and there wasn't much clutter, the game was slow. Harvesting resources was a chore, I couldn't fight anything that attacked me, and often I'd miss what I was trying to do in the first place or an important window wouldn't open or something along those lines and I'd give up in defeat.

And that has pissed me off, and turned me off from Hazeron.

So, I'm not surprised when some people get upset that anyone would dare charge money for such a terrible game. Because it's not that it's terrible, it's that it's the digital embodiment of hopes and dreams being beaten against a rock until there's nothing left but a bloody corpse. It is depressing and infuriating, and as long as it still lives, as long as there's people actually managing to get some form of enjoyment out of it, and now, as long as it's possibly even earning the developer money, it looms, the delicious carrot dangling on a stick, taunting us with promises we can't all enjoy. And for some of us, we can't drown out that taunting.
Nothing important here, move along.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #638 on: August 13, 2015, 09:29:03 pm »

Ugh.

Hazeron is a fun game. I enjoy it.
Though while it's fun, it's also laggy, and has an eccentric creator. It has a smallish community and you have to pay to play it.
It's fun. I'd say it's worth it. The only reason I'm not playing right now is that I'm waiting for an update that I've been anticipating for a while now.

I seriously do not get the unwarranted hostility. Why actively wish failure for Hazeron? For one, it's a one-of-a-kind-game that will not be replicated any time soon. I don't really get wanting a game to fail and disappear forever because you don't agree with the sole developer.
I also enjoyed Hazeron. It was laggy, horrible in it's own way and had pretty good community with it's own wars, drama and stuff. And now? "Smallish" community isin't 10 people on good day, smallish is at least 30-50 on regular basis, as it was before P2P. I wish that Hazeron dissapears so someone else makes it or maybe Haxus revises his shit and decides to stop the P2P and maybe convert to Parteon or whatever (unlikely, he's Haxus). Because now, even if you don't consider the price too high (and it's too damn high for what Haxus has to offer), you have to consider the lack of players a bad, bad thing. Seriously, it was pretty bad before, but right now it's like a fucking single player game.

Malus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #639 on: August 13, 2015, 10:34:52 pm »

I guarantee you the thing stopping someone else from making a game like Hazeron is not the fact that Hazeron is still running. If Hazeron is shut down, some benevolent dev with enough resources and time isn't going to come along and start coding up a Hazeron replacement. Hugely beloved MMOs with thousands of dedicated fans can barely manage to get a team together to reverse-engineer a successor.

Wishing for Hazeron to "disappear" benefits absolutely no one, and unless you have a grudge against Haxus, makes no sense at all. Like, I can understand not liking a game, that's fine. Not liking its creator, sure, whatever. But actively wishing failure upon a project? What's the point? How does antagonizing a game or its fans possibly benefit you at all? If Hazeron shuts down, no one is happier.

Accepting donations is also a difficult proposition. If Haxus starts, it's hard to *ever* monetize the project afterward. Imagine if you have hundreds of people donating to a project, but it's not enough to keep the project afloat, so months later you decide you need to either put the game behind a paywall or cease development. What do you do about the donators? I hope you kept good records so you can convert their past donations to game-time. And then if your monetization efforts fail, and you have no choice but to shut down the project, what do you do about the donators who've given you hundreds or thousands of dollars? They were donations, so you're not obligated to compensate them, but I guarantee you many of them will feel betrayed.

In the worst case, Hazeron opens the project up to donations, doesn't raise nearly enough money, and shuts down the game a few months later anyway and everyone who donated feels like they wasted their money. At least if he's charging for a product, it's extremely clear what *you* are getting. When you introduce donations into the equation, everything gets significantly more complicated.

"But they're donations, so donators aren't owed anything," obviously! Most people will be understanding. But it only takes a few crazy, pissed-off internet trolls to blow things completely out of proportion.

There is no easy solution to the financial issues Haxus has run into. Ideally, Haxus finds a way to trim some of the fat and lower the performance cost of keeping the servers up, but it sounds like that's not possible. He's really backed himself into a corner. The fact that so much of the code is inseparable from the extremely expensive servers it runs on leaves him with few options. I hope he can at least salvage some of the codebase and continue development in some fashion once the servers inevitably disappear.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #640 on: August 13, 2015, 10:55:23 pm »

What do you do about the donators? I hope you kept good records so you can convert their past donations to game-time.

I think you would already have to keep good records for tax purposes.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #641 on: August 13, 2015, 11:33:42 pm »

Accepting donations is also a difficult proposition. If Haxus starts, it's hard to *ever* monetize the project afterward. Imagine if you have hundreds of people donating to a project, but it's not enough to keep the project afloat, so months later you decide you need to either put the game behind a paywall or cease development. What do you do about the donators? I hope you kept good records so you can convert their past donations to game-time. And then if your monetization efforts fail, and you have no choice but to shut down the project, what do you do about the donators who've given you hundreds or thousands of dollars? They were donations, so you're not obligated to compensate them, but I guarantee you many of them will feel betrayed.
Actually, he had run on donations before.
AFAIK, he didin't gave a single shit about them when paywall appeared. Or at least didin't gave it about me. Neither did he when it shut down initially.

In any case, I still wish that Hazeron dissapears in it's current state. If it changes, maybe it will be worth it, but right now it's shitting on it's previous, if small, fame.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #642 on: August 14, 2015, 12:09:50 am »

I'm 100% sure he actually refused to accept donations at all until he restarted Hazeron with the P2P model.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #643 on: August 14, 2015, 12:23:03 am »

I'm 100% sure he actually refused to accept donations at all until he restarted Hazeron with the P2P model.
He didin't? I knew he was initially against it, but then where the fuck did that paypal went to?
Derp.
This may explain shit.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #644 on: August 14, 2015, 12:23:43 am »

Wasn't the only means of "donation" prior to the shut-down of Hazeron to buy Gravity Well from his other website?
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 ... 65