Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 65

Author Topic: Shores of Hazeron (new thread with the last updates)  (Read 137282 times)

Corik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Shores of Hazeron (new thread with the last updates)
« Reply #360 on: November 30, 2014, 05:40:33 am »

I have mixed feelings about it. Currently playing WoW, Wurm and Haven&Hearth... Hazeron would be too much xD. However, my playtime on Haven&Hearth is limited to 10 minutes everyday to feed my hens and cows... I guess it would be the same on hazeron... I always play to the point I reach my planet's limit and then... occasionally logging in to check things and try to do something :S

I need to let go some of those anyway xD

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #361 on: November 30, 2014, 06:20:56 am »

The problem with hosting is that hazeron is a monster. You'd have to pay some serious upkeep (like actual job/income from hazeron) to keep the servers up.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Exerosp

• Bay Watcher
  • Not Caught Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #362 on: November 30, 2014, 06:22:23 am »

I have mixed feelings about it. Currently playing WoW, Wurm and Haven&Hearth... Hazeron would be too much xD. However, my playtime on Haven&Hearth is limited to 10 minutes everyday to feed my hens and cows... I guess it would be the same on hazeron... I always play to the point I reach my planet's limit and then... occasionally logging in to check things and try to do something :S

I need to let go some of those anyway xD
Oh hey you built a camp to the dragon this summer or so on Affliction? I think I saw you when I went and settled down near the dragon. That damn wallstomper.

But yeah someone might do the same as they did on a Byond game (Called Phoenix Sundered Earth right now, was DragonBall Finale), they paid 2500Dollars or so for the license of the game.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #363 on: November 30, 2014, 11:55:00 am »

Considering that if you tried to host Hazeron you'd be bleeding money even if you could get revenue from it, anyone crazy enough to buy it from him would pretty much have to cut out a bunch of stuff.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Corik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #364 on: November 30, 2014, 06:12:33 pm »

Oh hey you built a camp to the dragon this summer or so on Affliction? I think I saw you when I went and settled down near the dragon. That damn wallstomper.

No, I think you are mistaken, I've never been on Affliction :)

And I agree with the others, Hazeron would need a very profesional hosting plan. I guess that's why he decided to shut it down. Or maybe it was running on a Raspberry Pi and that's why we had all that lag! :P

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #365 on: November 30, 2014, 06:34:24 pm »

He actually rented out space in a data center for hazeron. Or bought. I don't really know, but it was a pretty professional hosting thing.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Carnwennan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #366 on: November 30, 2014, 07:29:23 pm »

I'll always remember my first game of this.

I was just logging in before school to set up some long production work I wanted done. I had built this little coastal city and had only just managed to get stable power and an airport online for eventual trading somewhere else on the planet (I had thought that you could have 4-5 different cities on the same planet, back then) when I sat in the airport scanner and noticed a contact hovering around my planet. I hailed them, and hey responded.

The fricken Enterprise comes out of no where and hangs in the sky over my city (bear in mind that at this point I had NO IDEA how to even begin to build a basic rocket) and a portal opens up in my town square and another player comes out. We talk a little bit and he wanted to take a screenshot for reasons I didn't understand until much later - how fricken impossible it is to find anyone, and how incredible it is to find them online at the same time. He took me onto his ship and we did a little tour of my solar system. I was utterly blown away by the scale of everything.

and then I never met anyone ever again, and it was like playing a single player game only with more lag and nazis in global chat.

varsovie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #367 on: November 30, 2014, 07:31:14 pm »

Stop posting here, every time this topic gets bumped I hope SoH is back online.  :'(

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
« Reply #368 on: November 30, 2014, 09:27:34 pm »

...So this is dead?

Shame. Sounds pretty cool.
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...

Vendayn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #369 on: November 30, 2014, 09:35:10 pm »

The game was kinda creepy. I was on a planet with hotdog men. Literally, a hotdog body with four weird shaped legs and a human head. It scared me and my friend to death, gave us nightmares but we also laughed like heck.

The scary part was they'd SLOWLY walk toward me. Stand there and look up...and then...attack. It was hilarious and horrifying all in one.
My own website for Skyrim, Fallout 4, and many other games: http://vendayn.wix.com/skyrimvendayn

Texashawk

• Bay Watcher
  • Strategy dreamer.
    • View Profile
    • Alliance of the Sacred Suns
« Reply #370 on: November 30, 2014, 10:52:30 pm »

...So this is dead?

Shame. Sounds pretty cool.

It was amazing, terrifying, and utterly ahead of its time, but with the proliferation of small/indie publishers and crowdfunding, Haxus created Hazeron in the wrong era.

Pity.

-Steve
Developer of Alliance of the Sacred Suns, nee Imperia. Not Steve Walmsley. But he's great.
Find out more about the game at http://www.allianceofthesacredsuns.com!

Vendayn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #371 on: November 30, 2014, 11:04:48 pm »

Was it ever known why it was shut down?
My own website for Skyrim, Fallout 4, and many other games: http://vendayn.wix.com/skyrimvendayn

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #372 on: November 30, 2014, 11:06:06 pm »

Was it ever known why it was shut down?
Clearly stated.  A combination of small monetary issues, and large self-desire issues.  Creator wants to move towards games that can be completed and packaged and done, and that means moving away from Hazeron right now.  That's the TL;DR version, at least.

Moghjubar

• Bay Watcher
  • Science gets you to space.
    • View Profile
    • Demon Legend
« Reply #373 on: December 17, 2014, 12:51:21 pm »

Well, theres a small update at least on SoH status:

December 15, 2014

I've received a fair bit of e-mail asking for some sort of status on the future of this game project. I apologize for not answering every single one. This post will have to suffice.

Shores of Hazeron is a gigantic software project, perhaps more than I can get done. I've been working like a madman for months developing a smaller-scale game from the vast code base of SoH. The primary goal is to pull together a complete, concise, playable game that I could get done. It has of course taken longer than expected but its almost there.

Close on its heels, I have another game concept that I will likely pursue. It will also draw heavily from the SoH source code, though in an entirely different way. The goal of this game is the same as the first, to get it done, playable and posted.

After those two games are finished, I may return to working on Shores of Hazeron. I kind of miss it.

I hope that was enough information for the curious. 
Steam ID
Making things in Unity
Current Project: Demon Legend
Also working on THIS! Farworld Pioneers
Mastodon

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
« Reply #374 on: December 17, 2014, 04:43:10 pm »

...Oooh. Excite...?
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 65