Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: New way to Weaponize Bridges  (Read 3984 times)

Urist Mcfortwrecker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
New way to Weaponize Bridges
« on: April 29, 2013, 10:09:06 am »

I have discovered after a mishap with a bridge created in the wrong direction that bridges with pointy or heavy things on top of them have the power to kill or maim swathes of tree shagging hippies elves, particularly one unlucky elf who got a piece of goblinite driven through his skull. if a quantum stockpile is created on top of these, many things can be flung through the air with minimal risk to dwarves and much death to things in one of the four cardinal directions. !!SCIENCE!! must be done on the most effective ammunition to be used with this new pseudo-catapult and its effectiveness

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: New way to Weaponize Bridges
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2013, 10:21:49 am »

Indeed. I discovered the same when I set up a multi-level archery range, with a retracting bridge on the same level as the fortifications. A goblin's iron helmet "shot and killed" by Captain of the Guard.
"Fools dig for water, corpses, or gold. The earth's real treasure is far deeper."

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2013, 10:46:15 am »

I have discovered after a mishap with a bridge created in the wrong direction that bridges with pointy or heavy things on top of them have the power to kill or maim swathes of tree shagging hippies elves, particularly one unlucky elf who got a piece of goblinite driven through his skull. if a quantum stockpile is created on top of these, many things can be flung through the air with minimal risk to dwarves and much death to things in one of the four cardinal directions. !!SCIENCE!! must be done on the most effective ammunition to be used with this new pseudo-catapult and its effectiveness

Considering how getting "shot and killed" is a rarity in long-ranged combat, I'd say lots of minecarts. Minecarts stacked to the brim with weapons, that is.

Bonus points for bridges acting like minecart rails, too.
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
  • if (ANNOYED_W_FANS==true) { KILL_CHAR(rand()); }
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2013, 10:56:51 am »

Send minecarts down the rails towards your bridge.  Set up a few repeating pressure plates that activate when the cart rolls over'em, and time it so that the bridge flips right when the cart is on.

Catsup

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2013, 11:05:06 am »

this new "weapon" seems to be too much work for too little fun. I prefer just sealing the outside and pitting my giant and cyclops thrall outside for the invaders to play with. (if i wanted to use a unconventional weapon) or pitting them in the trade depot room with the elves after sealing said room.

DWC

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2013, 11:08:05 am »

Minecarts full of steel serrated disks, spiked balls or ballista arrows.

Might experiment though, heavy objects might not be propelled as far or with sufficient velocity.

edit: I did some quick experimentation and bridges just fling the crap on them directly upward, which falls back down somewhat lethally in a about a 12x12 area. I accidently bombarded my meeting area in this fashion with plain rocks and it knocked out 3 dwarves and killed none.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2013, 11:38:38 am by DWC »

Drazinononda

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm really too normal to play this game so much.`
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2013, 11:34:16 am »

this new "weapon" seems to be too much work for too little fun. I prefer just sealing the outside and pitting my giant and cyclops thrall outside for the invaders to play with. (if i wanted to use a unconventional weapon) or pitting them in the trade depot room with the elves after sealing said room.

I am amazed by your ability to post so consistently with off-topic responses.
Children you rescue shouldn't behave like rabid beasts.  I guess your regular companions shouldn't act like rabid beasts either.
I think that's a little more impossible than I'm likely to have time for.

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2013, 11:36:30 am »

have invaders path through a maze at the bottom of the pit.  The maze should be a contained square shape.  Instead of using walls to create the walls of the maze, use open spaces, and make the maze 2-levels so that an open space on one level is covered by a pathway of another level.  Load the bridge, fling the items, and it should litter death down there.  You can use some minecarts and stockpiles to reload it.  Even use retractable hatches so that your dwarves aren't pathing through a 1-tile wide, long maze to clean it up.
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2013, 03:14:44 pm »

I was thinking of QS-ing a mega-quiver full of steel/silver arrows/bolts/etc. and detonate it above a pit covered with a bridge that is linked to a pressure plate; provided you survive the fall and the impacts from the weapons above, the weapons that fall from above... not so much.

MC__#  |      <-- Minecart QS drop-off (preferably offset to hit center)
 |=====|      <-Drop-bridge -1z (or more) where QS loads
 |     |_____ <-Approx. 3-Z above second drop-bridge
__=====_^_<__ <-Second drop-bridge for invaders, trap trigger PP (invaders and testers only) not far before bridge
|_________>|  <-Return from pit back into the drop bridge

Something like that. Weapons load into a bridge -1z below, and are safely deposited. bridge unloads at the same time as the one below (shared link), targets are immobilized as weapons fall from above. Loaders are relatively safe from the onslaught; provided a short ceiling (keep it same-level). Either load with high quality heavy weapons and tons of bolts of various types, or load it with all kinds of garbage, including bones of their own kind (death by the bones of their peers).
« Last Edit: April 29, 2013, 03:37:11 pm by Itnetlolor »

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2013, 03:20:02 pm »

It's more fun if you just use garbage from the last siege, and a few Xsheep wool sockX. Maybe even zombies if you include bodies in that garbage and have a necromancer on hand, just take care not to exceed the bridge's weight allowance.
"Fools dig for water, corpses, or gold. The earth's real treasure is far deeper."

Urist Mcfortwrecker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2013, 03:57:35 pm »

after some SCIENCE which led to some !!SCIENCE!! i found that !!OBJECTS!!  are much more effective than mere objects, and i finally have a usage for indestructible burning wood artifact puzzleboxes. minecarts full of magma also work, and do not actually require much setup, because the minecart can simply be hauled onto the area, rather than having to be tracked there, although to do results in a very slow trap, so tracks are recomended. my preffered trap is the classic 2 bridges linked to pressure plates, so that i can trap the enemies in the target area. candy weapons seem to work best with this, as they are light, and unlike some other unconventional weapons, this one does not destroy the ammo. Aditional SCIENCE is much apreciated

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2013, 06:44:14 pm »

You can always take my idea presented, and flood it with at least 2-3 minecarts-worth of magma, wait for it to spread evenly across the bridge (in this case, a 5x5 area), and then drop it, let it set for a moment while invaders begin to melt, then trigger the lower bridge to do another flop, stun and immolate more invaders with the magma mist, and then in case it doesn't cool down on it's own, dump some water down there (similar as to setting the initial magma in place).

itg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2013, 06:46:56 pm »

Have you had any luck controlling the direction the bridge launches the items? I once tried to design a defense system based on bridge-catapulting goblins into a pit, only to find that bridges seem to launch things in random directions, regardless of orientation.

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2013, 07:47:21 pm »

Isn't this similar to the "Coinstar" training room? See http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=117154.msg3839037#msg3839037 and following posts in that thread.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2013, 07:55:08 pm »

Isn't this similar to the "Coinstar" training room? See http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=117154.msg3839037#msg3839037 and following posts in that thread.
As far as I can interpret, this is a more lethal version of that.
Pages: [1] 2