Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Can you fill in caverns that you have mined?  (Read 1754 times)

jez9999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Can you fill in caverns that you have mined?
« on: April 28, 2013, 04:53:06 pm »

So I've done some mining into some soil/clay/rock but I mined it out the wrong shape and there's a chunk I want to fill in.  What are my options?  Is there a way to re-fill it?  If not, what's the closest alternative to re-filling?

Raphite1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Beards and Brimstone
Re: Can you fill in caverns that you have mined?
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2013, 05:04:48 pm »

You can build constructed walls in the gap. They'll look a bit different on the ends, but the space will be full at least.

You can also fill the empty tiles with natural obsidian by mixing magma and water there. Building the infrastructure to do this may cause worse aesthetic concerns than the empty spaces, though.

jez9999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2013, 05:36:34 pm »

Are walls as resiliant to invading enemies as the mud?  As far as I know the enemies can't break through mud; can they break through the walls though?

Solon64

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2013, 05:44:28 pm »

Enemies cannot destroy constructions ever (constructions being anything built through the b->C menu, walls, stairs, fortifications, etc.) Even a wall made of soap or ash is completely immune to EVERYTHING.

Natural walls are the exact same as constructed walls in every regard EXCEPT that stone natural walls can be smoothed and then engraved. Constructed walls are already smoothed but cannot be engraved. Wish Toady would change that, actually...
PS: Seriously, you must have, like, super-getting-lost skills. You could go missing in a straight corridor and impale yourself on flat ground if I don't tell you where to go.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2013, 10:57:12 pm »

Look into DFHack's features. Among the plugins is a means of editing areas and tiles. You can use it to change the floor into a wall again, and if you want, mark it as hidden as well.

Alternatively, you can use DFLiquids to replace it with an obsidian block.

The first suggestion is if this is mostly an aesthetic thing, though it probably won't change the fact that you can mine it out again.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2013, 11:42:49 pm by Itnetlolor »

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2013, 04:29:28 pm »

Enemies cannot destroy constructions ever (constructions being anything built through the b->C menu, walls, stairs, fortifications, etc.) Even a wall made of soap or ash is completely immune to EVERYTHING.

Natural walls are the exact same as constructed walls in every regard EXCEPT that stone natural walls can be smoothed and then engraved. Constructed walls are already smoothed but cannot be engraved. Wish Toady would change that, actually...
They can be engraved with sufficient use of bugs, it's how engraved metal pillars are possible.

Catsup

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2013, 08:15:49 pm »

They can be engraved with sufficient use of bugs, it's how engraved metal pillars are possible.
how do you use this bug which you say?

at OP i wall off the candy veins i mine out and most of the natural cavern walls i mine out just so that the cavern maintains its natural shape.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2013, 09:39:47 pm »

Funny thing, that DFHack method I mentioned earlier can also reassign the tile(s) as either constructions or natural walls/floors, which also means that you could theoretically also engrave them, one way or another.

Catsup

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2013, 09:50:49 pm »

Funny thing, that DFHack method I mentioned earlier can also reassign the tile(s) as either constructions or natural walls/floors, which also means that you could theoretically also engrave them, one way or another.
that feels more exploitish than exploiting a in-game bugusing a in-game feature to do it instead though.

Drazinononda

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm really too normal to play this game so much.`
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2013, 10:34:23 pm »

I wonder if a form of this bug could also be applied to building walls? I.e. set natural floor to be engraved, then build a normally unengraveable wall over it?
Children you rescue shouldn't behave like rabid beasts.  I guess your regular companions shouldn't act like rabid beasts either.
I think that's a little more impossible than I'm likely to have time for.

Mr S

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2013, 09:02:53 am »

But I can't engrave soil.  And I want to engrave my constructed curtain wall with images of goblins screaming and elves making plaintive gestures while a dwarf makes a menacing pose!

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2013, 09:52:17 am »

But I can't engrave soil.  And I want to engrave my constructed curtain wall with images of goblins screaming and elves making plaintive gestures while a dwarf makes a menacing pose!

You can do this.  It just requires a massive infrastructure, meticulous planning, and painstaking, layer by layer obsidian casting.  But eventually the wall will mostly just have images of cheese.
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

jez9999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2013, 04:30:54 pm »

how do you use this bug which you say?

at OP i wall off the candy veins i mine out and most of the natural cavern walls i mine out just so that the cavern maintains its natural shape.
But the wall will look different from the surrounding soil/clay/stone, right?

Ruhn

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2013, 05:01:25 pm »

Realistically, a wall made of bricks or chunks of rough stone can't be engraved.  It could be painted if covered with gypsum plaster, but we don't have any painter-dwarves currently.