Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Is there a way to make a single mad dwarf go somewhere?  (Read 3579 times)

jez9999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Is there a way to make a single mad dwarf go somewhere?
« on: April 28, 2013, 01:29:11 pm »

I have a dwarf who has gone stark raving mad and he is in my fortress.  Is there a way I get force him to go outside?  I was thinking of putting him in a squad and making that squad defend a burrow outside but it looks like you can't add mad dwarves to squads.  Is there any other way?

zazq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Is there a way to make a single mad dwarf go somewhere?
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2013, 01:51:42 pm »

Stark Raving Mad dwarves are busy being mad and won't take any jobs.  They can't be assigned to duties and ignore any burrow instructions you give them.  However, they do sometimes go to their bedroom.  When they do this i'd recommend locking them in there.  I don't think you can assign a room to a mad dwarf, but if you can then you could put a bed on the surface, assign it to the dwarf and hope that he goes out there. 

A better solution is to design your fortress so that you can fill any room you desire with magma.  this solves almost as many problems as it makes!

zazq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2013, 02:03:53 pm »

i just had a dwarf go mad and it this plan totally works.  Remove all other bedrooms the mad dwarf might have, and assign him a bed up on the surface.  If he's the type of mad that goes to bedrooms then he'll go scurrying out there and get murdered by goblins.  problem solved.

jez9999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2013, 02:15:53 pm »

One thing I discovered is that if you issue a civilian alert to go to a particular burrow, the mad dwarf does actually obey it!  If only you could issue those alerts on certain dwarves it would be so easy to move him outside.  :)

Volfgarix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2013, 02:56:26 pm »

(Wrong thread! Sorry)
« Last Edit: April 28, 2013, 03:00:36 pm by Volfgarix »

naisel

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2013, 03:07:38 pm »

If mad dwarves obey civilian burrows you could do this:

add all not-mad dwarves to a burrow that can be locked down and lock them down there, then issue a civilian burrow where you want the mad dwarf to go..

Next time I have a mad dwarf I'll try it.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2013, 03:53:39 pm »

I'm not sure why you want to move the mad dwarf outside. Stark raving mad dwarfs will do nothing of note but take off all their clothes and go streaking through the fortress until they die of dehydration. If you keep them inside (or lock them in their room) you'll actually have less trouble burying them and collecting their belongings.

jez9999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2013, 04:07:16 pm »

i just had a dwarf go mad and it this plan totally works.  Remove all other bedrooms the mad dwarf might have, and assign him a bed up on the surface.  If he's the type of mad that goes to bedrooms then he'll go scurrying out there and get murdered by goblins.  problem solved.
This is what I ended up doing - build him a small bedroom, assign him the bed.  Quite quickly he went to sleep there and I locked the door.   ;)  After he died, some miasma built up a few times while I was building a coffin but that stayed in the room too.  Then I dismantled the room wall and he was buried.

Solon64

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2013, 05:39:00 pm »

He wasn't sleeping, insane dwarves don't sleep, eat, or drink until they die of thirst, hunger, or exhaustion (not likely exhaustion considering starving or dehydrating happens WAY faster.

I sort of like stark raving mad dwarves streaking about, it sort of epitomizes dwarf fortress. "WELCOME TO SHADEPADDLES. Don't worry about that naked dwarf over there, the kids are used to being flashed here."

A fortress isn't a fortress until someone is running around naked. Potentially on fire.
PS: Seriously, you must have, like, super-getting-lost skills. You could go missing in a straight corridor and impale yourself on flat ground if I don't tell you where to go.

jez9999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2013, 06:17:57 pm »

Well the bed must have attracted him somehow; he went there shortly after I assigned him it.  Or maybe he was just wandering around and it was just luck??

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2013, 06:50:55 pm »

IIRC stark raving mad dwarves will ignore cliffs and moats while running about, so a pit or moat in front of the meeting hall that is crossed by a Z-bridge will trap them.