Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 63 64 [65] 66

Author Topic: The revolutionary design bureau, under new management  (Read 61573 times)

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The revolutionary design bureau, under new management
« Reply #960 on: May 26, 2013, 12:36:34 am »

Proposal G: Request that two factories are built, to manufacture the Ratel tanks we need for the war along with the rest of the parts for them.
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #961 on: May 26, 2013, 01:15:48 am »

The Badger Mk3 has 2 speed listings.
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Brood

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #962 on: May 26, 2013, 02:52:40 am »

Proposal M, Have a series of small airfields built 10 miles in from our borders on all sides, place radar in them all and place heavy AA defences around them then place Lightnings in them for rapid deployment to intercept enemy air attacks.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #963 on: May 26, 2013, 06:10:41 am »

10.1 Wetburner torpedoes, Anti armor shaped charge torpedos and if the Vengeance was designed, electrical torpedoes
12. Multiple Rocket launcher: Again, truck mounted turret capable of launching at least 20 missiles in a short amount of time. Ideally capable of firing missiles of varying sizes.
13. New rockets, aim for increased range, cheapness and long range.
        -Bombardement: HE explosives
        -Anti infantery: Proximity detonated shrapnel rocket (Ie, a shrapnel charge set of a few meters above ground)
14. Vengeance class submarine ((Remove this if it was indeed designed in the previous turn))
15. Advanced radar system: Update our current radar with surface detection capabilities. Focus on naval uses (The capability to detect surfaced submarines at long range will be devestating for enemy attacks. After all, underwater they don't get far)

N. Underground production facilities. We can't stop the bombing, so we'll just make the targets harder to get. Any new factory needs to be located underground.
M. If it hasn't happened yet in the previous turn, upgrade our submarine dock to double size/ Construct a new one
O. Construct a RADAR airship factory.
P. Switch one of the capian shipyards to the production of submarines

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #964 on: May 26, 2013, 06:59:06 pm »

17: Universal Pod Mount. Design a mounting point for various removable pods so that a vehicle can quickly change its specifications by mounting a suitable pod. It should have a redundant release mechanism, the capacity to feed at least 5 different signals to an attached pod, and the ability for a pod to feed fuel to the vehicle. Design versions for pods of 20kg, 50kg, 200kg, and 500kg. Build a 50kg rocket pod designed to provide 2 minutes of additional propulsion to an aeroplane to test the system.

18: People's Beacon Carrier. Base it on Radar Airship but dedicated to aircraft docking. Attempt to integrate a pair of underside rails for receiving aircraft at higher speeds, a crane system for rapidly retrieving aircraft from the rails, a maintenance bay for aircraft, an aeroplane mounting system that would allow pilots to get from quarters to cockpits in under 2 minutes with no appreciable risk of plummeting to their untimely doom. It should also be possible to load bombs and such onto aircraft without transferring them to the maintenance bay. The rails should be reinforced around the regions most likely to be damaged and have a guide kite dragging behind it to better illustrate its position to approaching aeroplanes. The rail should also possess a slight incline to slow docking craft and one-way notches to prevent craft from sliding backwards. The airship itself should possess additional engines to better match the flight of relatively high-speed aircraft.

19: Plummet fighter. An aeroplane designed to operate with the P.B.C. Airship above. It should have a retractable over-head sled for docking with rails and a skid-plate for ground landings. Ideally it should possess great manoeuvrability, a high operational ceiling, low minimum speed, and special attention should be given to insuring that it can recover from stalls, as it will be launched by being dropped... Ideally its weight will be under 2000 kg though it should be armed with at least a pair of Patriotisms, ideally GVS-14s. It should also have two mounts for pods.

20: Descent bomber. As the Plummet above, but with a single forward Patriotism and a single rear gunner position with a Patriotism, the ability to carry a single torpedo or a similar weight of depth-charges or conventional bombs, and little need for manoeuvrability.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2013, 07:55:02 pm by RAM »
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Read the First Post!

kahn1234

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #965 on: May 26, 2013, 07:02:44 pm »

N. Underground production facilities. We can't stop the bombing, so we'll just make the targets harder to get. Any new factory needs to be located underground.

Seriously. SERIOUSLY. I proposed this last freaking turn and got shouted down by you and UR for it being 'too expensive' and then this turn you propose it?

Un-fucking-believable.

Brood

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #966 on: May 26, 2013, 07:16:55 pm »

It happens, chill out it's as bad an idea now as it was last turn.

3_14159

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #967 on: May 26, 2013, 07:32:18 pm »

And, the new lists.

Spoiler: Old Projects (click to show/hide)

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Note:  Designated Tacitus' original 'G' proposal as L.

Since I lack other proposals, there are two I'd like to make: Air-to-ground unguided rockets and a multi-purpose fighter.

Proposal 16: SAGE-I (Standard Air to Ground Explosive Rocket): Design a rocket of about 50kg, to be mounted on planes and dedicated for strafing runs. Construct three variants: HE, proximity detonated shrapnel and shaped charge AT.
This should give our planes more punch against ground targets, especially tanks and would allow our non-Shark planes to attack artillery and tanks from far away, too. Additionally, the shrapnel could be used against planes, probably.

Proposal 17: Multi-purpose fighter: Design a multi-purpose fighter using the new aviation engine.
Armament: Two Jackhammers, one per wing.
Mounting points: Bombs, one new torpedo, fuel drop tanks, rockets.
Try reducing the necessary air strip length to under 200m.

The idea is to produce a variable fighter to be used together with the lightning interceptor. While probably a bit worse in the actual intercept role, it should compensate for that with flexibility. The ability to start from a shorter runway has two advantages: We can theoretically start them from streets and/or short runways, and later from carriers.
Why mount two jackhammers? Well, I wanted to mount four GVS-14, but then I noticed that for all intents and purposes, twin Jackhammers would perform better. Same weight, same RoF, but higher range and more punch.

Proposal Q: Expand one of the naval yards. Target size of about 20ktons.
Our main problem right now is naval war. Bigger ships - be they carriers or battleships - will help us here.

Seriously. SERIOUSLY. I proposed this last freaking turn and got shouted down by you and UR for it being 'too expensive' and then this turn you propose it?

Un-fucking-believable.
There have been two replies other than yours regarding underground complexes. One by 10ebbor10, stating that "[...] Underground/ bunker complexes are very, very expensive. [...]", and that they could develop shockwaves. One by RAM, stating that "[...] It would be expensive but I imagine that it could be justified at least for facilities which impede further bombings...". I fail to see any shouting down. Especially by UR, from whom I did not find a single reply to the proposal.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #968 on: May 26, 2013, 07:52:37 pm »

I am reposting this because I forgot to bold it...
18: Universal Pod Mount. Design a mounting point for various removable pods so that a vehicle can quickly change its specifications by mounting a suitable pod. It should have a redundant release mechanism, the capacity to feed at least 5 different signals to an attached pod, and the ability for a pod to feed fuel to the vehicle. Design versions for pods of 20kg, 50kg, 200kg, and 500kg. Build a 50kg rocket pod designed to provide 2 minutes of additional propulsion to an aeroplane to test the system.

19: People's Beacon Carrier. Base it on Radar Airship but dedicated to aircraft docking. Attempt to integrate a pair of underside rails for receiving aircraft at higher speeds, a crane system for rapidly retrieving aircraft from the rails, a maintenance bay for aircraft, an aeroplane mounting system that would allow pilots to get from quarters to cockpits in under 2 minutes with no appreciable risk of plummeting to their untimely doom. It should also be possible to load bombs and such onto aircraft without transferring them to the maintenance bay. The rails should be reinforced around the regions most likely to be damaged and have a guide kite dragging behind it to better illustrate its position to approaching aeroplanes. The rail should also possess a slight incline to slow docking craft and one-way notches to prevent craft from sliding backwards. The airship itself should possess additional engines to better match the flight of relatively high-speed aircraft.

20: Plummet fighter. An aeroplane designed to operate with the P.B.C. Airship above. It should have a retractable over-head sled for docking with rails and a skid-plate for ground landings. Ideally it should possess great manoeuvrability, a high operational ceiling, low minimum speed, and special attention should be given to insuring that it can recover from stalls, as it will be launched by being dropped... Ideally its weight will be under 2000 kg though it should be armed with at least a pair of Patriotisms, ideally GVS-14s. It should also have two mounts for pods.

21: Descent bomber. As the Plummet above, but with a single forward Patriotism and a single rear gunner position with a Patriotism, the ability to carry a single torpedo or a similar weight of depth-charges or conventional bombs, and little need for manoeuvrability.

Read the First Post!

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #969 on: May 26, 2013, 08:16:21 pm »

-4: Vengeance class submarine.

A massive 1000 ton submarine. Includes 10 double length torpedo launchers, a small amount of electrical shaped charge torpedoes, plenty of upgraded conventional torpedoes, plenty of engine power (both electrical and the new tank engines), enough armor, and a small frigate worth of deck weaponry. Also, some special new features including a snort, basic chemical lifesupport and the capability to dive far lower.
Spoiler: Estimated tonnage distribution (click to show/hide)
-130 tons submarine parts
-60 tons: 10 Double length torpedo tubes (Useable on periscope depth).
-200 tons: 50 double length torpedos
-400 tons: Various engines, electrical systems and batteries
-30 tons: Sensors (Hydrophones, and others)
-100 tons: armor
-80 tons Deck guns (Heavy AT guns, some AA guns, Maybe 1 larger gun)

(progress: 45 4 4 6 ? )
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #970 on: May 26, 2013, 09:15:42 pm »

23)(Damn this is a ton of proposals!) Start messing around with jet engine theory, creating several different jet engine testbeds and designs for jet engines(we seem to have everything else covered, so time to start some esoteric research!)

Strategy suggestion Alpha:Increase special forces numbers to match our airlift capacity and train them all as paratroopers. Start incorporating more airborne assaults and deep penetration strikes on key strategic positions and heavy artillery fortifications in advance of main force assaults
« Last Edit: May 26, 2013, 09:33:50 pm by tryrar »
This fort really does sit on the event horizon of madness and catastrophe
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #971 on: May 26, 2013, 11:49:42 pm »

Un-fucking-believable.
((People change opinions, you know. Because well, it looks less and less likely we can stop the bombings in a decent timeframe.))

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #972 on: May 27, 2013, 04:55:50 am »

Because I can!
S: Expand the institute of scientific inquiry
T: Send a team of engineers to the military academy to get detailed reports from experienced and new soldiers concerning equipment.

Code: [Select]
[b]Improved Sonar(1): More range | Easy upgrade           [/b]
-4: Vengeance class submarine.-??%
-3 : Lightning MK2 interceptor-50%
-2: Rocketry Research-25%
-1 : Courageous class Cruiser-50%
-1.1)Update the Courageous ship
1: heavy interceptor codename: Thunder Zwei MK1
2: 240mm Naval gun
3: Drop tanks
4: High-altitude research
5)Gorgon Self-Propelled AntiAircraft gun
6)Doorknocker Self-Propelled Artillery Gun
7)Warthog engineer tank
8. Design Lightning(c)
9: Righteous 2 boat
10) Better torpedo
10.1: Fast torpedo
11: Ground attack Helicopter
12. Multiple Rocket launcher
13. New rockets
15. Advanced radar system:
16: SAGE-I
17: Multi-purpose fighter
18: Universal Pod Mount
19: People's Beacon Carrier.
20: Plummet fighter
21: Descent bomber
23)Jet engines

A, suggest assault rifle C and the argument MK 3 to go into mass production with 2 factories devoted to production.
A.1 Just retool 3 of 4 SVA-10 factories to the new assault rifle, and build two factories for Argument MK-3
B, suggest that at least 5 squadrons of interceptors and lightnings remain in the air at all times to cut off enemy bombing runs over the ocean, alert fighters to be launched to reinforce those squadrons in battle. This will dramatically reduce the effect of enemy bombing runs.
C, suggest that the veterans of the invasion from all armed forces be combined to form the 1st division valiant and victorious and perform a large media campaign to inspire other soldiers and civilians alike with tales of heroic victories.
D, suggest repair of all damages facilities including the Capian dry dock.
E, suggest large mine belts be placed at the max range of the enemy subs to deter future attacks.
F)Refit all current ASW designs with the new sonar as a high priority
G)Build enough factories to get all the new designs into production
H)Start rotating all of our oldest tanks into workshops to refit them to the new tank models(taking care to not impact force allocations too much). In fact, I suggest that any tank that comes in for maintenance in the future is also refitted to any newer models if applicable
I)Pull all our largest shipyards to work build Courageous cruisers as soon as they are designed
J. Build new factories\refit old ones to build Lightings (b) and Lightnings (c)  in 2 to 1 ratio ( 66% of Lightings(b) and 33% of Lightnings (c) ) Should those designs get completed
K. Our own workers to build Arguments Mk3 and Ratel tanks to get some to the front, before specialized factories are ready. That's to sway the tank war in our advantage 
L(renamed from G): Request that two factories are built, to manufacture the Ratel tanks we need for the war along with the rest of the parts for them.
M, Have a series of small airfields built 10 miles in from our borders on all sides, place radar in them all and place heavy AA defences around them then place Lightnings in them for rapid deployment to intercept enemy air attacks.
O. Construct a RADAR airship factory.
P. Switch one of the capian shipyards to the production of submarines
Q: Expand one of the naval yards. Target size of about 20ktons.
R(Renamed from M). If it hasn't happened yet in the previous turn, upgrade our submarine dock to double size/ Construct a new one
S: Expand the institute of scientific inquiry
T: Send a team of engineers to the military academy to get detailed reports from experienced and new soldiers concerning equipment.

alpha: Strategy suggestion Alpha: Paratroopers
« Last Edit: May 28, 2013, 07:19:18 pm by RAM »
Read the First Post!

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #973 on: May 27, 2013, 08:29:38 pm »

Well, I love my ideas, and they are basically a matched set, so I can't really go for one without the other, so...
-2 is long overdue.
And between 3 and 18 we could have rapid interception and long-range patrols and extended defensive patrols and be well on the way to having extremely versatile aircraft without needing to sacrifice much. We could even mount the pods on other vehicles. Rocket pods on a righteous would be hilarious, if inefficient. Fuel pods on a badger could be handy in advance of a long encircling action, being able to switch out the expended fuel tanks and hook up some rocket pods for impromptu indirect artillery fire would have its uses. Throw some turreted gun pods on a K-1 and it could go from dedicated anti-tank to a capable infantry suppressor. Use pods on a cruiser and you could upgrade many of its support weapons with relative ease by just changing out the flare launchers or camera module. Nut mostly aircraft being able to be switched from rapid interceptor, to engagement fighter, to light ground attack, to reconnaissance, to communications relay in a few minutes...
Vote -2, 3, 18, 19, 20, 21

B should fix most of our bomber issues, we really do have a problem with response times.
D should be automated or something, but I am going for it...
G I like in general, I am not too confident in the designs that will get chosen this turn, but getting the new stuff into action quickly sounds good. Although we really ought to see what it does first...
N and O are just plain fun.
And, umm, S... I kind of ran out of votes here, I am not certain that that thing actually functions, but I like the idea...
Vote B, D, G, N, O, S
Almost forgot: We will probably be looking at new naval designs soon, so I vote for improved capability rather than upgrading our old stuff for free.
Improved Sonar(1): More range
Read the First Post!

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #974 on: May 27, 2013, 08:41:47 pm »

Voting for -3, 4, 6, 9, 10. Not really any more good development ideas any more. You guys are either putting out too many silly designs, or it's useless.

Voting for B, D, G, K, L, T Production-wise, still a few solid ideas atleast, but there's still a little chaff here. Better than the designs atleast though.
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll
Pages: 1 ... 63 64 [65] 66