Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 43 44 [45] 46 47 ... 66

Author Topic: The revolutionary design bureau, under new management  (Read 61646 times)

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The revolutionary design bureau, under new management
« Reply #660 on: May 09, 2013, 06:35:42 am »

Hire an optical engineer, an automated mechanism engineer, an ergonomics engineer, and a social engineer.

4: Develop the Badger-II and publish and adopt an Ethical Treatise. The Badger-II's forward armour should be able to withstand a round from the HVG-40 fired horizontally from 200 metres, The side armour should be able to withstand a similar shot made at a 45 degree angle from 400 metres. It should be armed with a powered turret with a single HVG-40 and be powered by a single 500kg diesel engine. Attempt to automate the turret processes to reduce the size of the turret and look into improving the armour materials.
 The Ethical Treatise should be intended to protect people and nations that we shall liberate:
" The engineering core of the revolutionary design bureau pledge to seek no harm to the common peoples or the homes of our enemies. As they do not wield arms against us.
 We seek no weapon that will continue to harm when the battle has ended. As the land is not our enemy and the enemy shall become our comrades.
 We seek not to terrify our enemies. As a calm mind will see the benefits of our ways.
 And we seek no agent that can attack its wielder. As a weapon that is beyond control is an enemy to all."

4.1: As 1, but give the Badger-II a pair of external GVS-14s mounted, each behind, below, and either side of the turret. Include a well for the gunner to stand in and a chest-high shield with armour capable of stopping a GVS-14 round fired from 100 metres in front of or to the side of the Badger-II and loose boarding steps at the rear of the tank to allow access to the GVS-14 positions.

5: Develop a Glare-reduction sight for use by sub-hunters and, ideally, anyone shooting at those pesky aircraft that like to come out of the sun. Attempt to incorporate it into any appropriate designs that operate at altitude or against naval targets.
 Use it in the design for an upgraded observation balloon. Attempt to use and of air-catching lessons from the glider project, newer or more expensive materials, and possibly a ground-based heat-source to reduce the weight, and therefore the range at which the balloon is visible.
 This balloon should be mounted on the the following Worker's Submarine destroyer(original by Ukrainian Ranger):
Worker's ASW
Displacement: Constructible using current dock facilities, or at least within 6 months of dock expansion.
Propulsion: Diesel
Speed: At least 50kph, preferably in excess of 60kph.
Armor: At least 20mm, preferably torpedo resistant.
Sufficient range to patrol merchant lines.
A Recon-Balloon dock and tether.
Triple Sonar Array covering 120 degrees.

Armament:
1 forward-facing 160mm-cannon armoured turret.
3 triple HVG-40 armoured A.A. and close target turrets. Must be resistant to aircraft cannons. (Triangular gun positions and one turret at the rear of the ship and one on each side towards the front of middle.)(It would also be nice if they got to the point where one of these destroyed a torpedo during testing)
8 GVS-14 mounts for close air defence and threatening surrendering submarine crews...(Test if it is possible for one of these to detonate or disable a torpedo.)
4 dogma positions for smoke deployment and anti-submarine munitions.
4 total Hedgehogs angled forwards and to the sides.
2 rear-mounted 500kg depth charge rails with a combined storage of eighty 500kg depth charges.

Vote: 1,2
Vote: A,B,C,E,F

G: Produce an independent scientific facility for pure research without requiring obvious pragmatic functions.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

P.S.
On the airship project your experienced aviation engineer, 2 engineers, 1 novice and 2 green engineers are assigned. They get about 1/3 of the way through with a design that should have a beneficial feature. The design will likely carry a gondola of aproximately 20 tons, a crew of 4 and 10 tons of bombs with a gas volume of ~1000 cubic meters (that seems a bit low, but I have not double checked the math). 46
Is there any chance that we missed a beneficial feature?
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

kahn1234

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #661 on: May 09, 2013, 07:32:04 am »

" Not enough engineers remained to refit all our land vehicles to the diesel, however your best options are the K-1 and Battle Bus, there is enough room to replace the 2 smaller engines with the one larger engine with minimal work. The other vehicles likely require more extensive modification or possible compromises to  be made."

"here is enough room to replace the 2 smaller engines with the one larger engine with minimal work"

Huh?

Both the K-1 and Battle Bus are large, and the 400Kwr engine is compact. I think you said that it was only a little larger than the 170Kw engine, so we should be able to fit 2 in the K-1 and 4 in the Battle Bus, as the K-1 has 2 and the Battle Bus, unless i missed something, has 4 170Kw engines.

If we cannot fit 2 400Kw engines as standard then i suggest:

6) Lengthen and Widen the hull without sacrificing anything to allow for 2x400 Kw engines. Widen the tracks as well, to prevent bogging down.

7) Develop 110mm Cannon capable of using high velocity, medium velocity and low velocity ammo, as a cannon upgrade for the K-1.

The whole thing about the K-1 is i want a pseudo-MBT. Relatively fast so it can keep up with the faster armoured vehicles we have, can fit the AT role as good as a tank destroyer, but also has the punch for anti-defensive activity (busting fortifications, buildings etc.) and also has a good Anti-Infantry role (i like the co-axial MG, and the 14mm MG on the turret for the commander is fantastic too).

I want to make it so that we dont have to design a different tank destroyer and medium tank when our Medium/Heavy tank/tank destroyer hybrid (K-1) can do it all.

This should save us resources and money.

Out of interest, what suspension is the K-1 using? Torsion bar?
« Last Edit: May 09, 2013, 10:10:28 am by kahn1234 »

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #662 on: May 09, 2013, 09:41:17 am »

I assume that Khan's are 6 and 7.... Also I urge RAM to remake his proposal , because that's a cheating to pack several proposals into one

8. Design new V12 aviation petrol engine, with at least 400, preferably 600kw  power. Try to make it tolerable for higher attitudes
Because, seriously, our aviation petrol engines are weaker than our tank diesels... We'll never make full metal aircrafts with 230kw engines, WW2 fighters used 1000kw+ 
« Last Edit: May 09, 2013, 09:43:33 am by Ukrainian Ranger »
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Brood

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #663 on: May 09, 2013, 09:45:38 am »

9, Take the previous submachinegun and attempt to fix it's faults and modify the suppressor to fit it as well. Give it a foldable stock and improved ring sights, 9mm rounds with a 30 round magazine and a 60 round drum magazine.
Begin production straight away if it is completed and functional.

10, Design a set of bulletproof body armor with a helmet, priority goes to maximum protection without restricting movement.

H, Suggest production of suppressors, scorpions ( The RPG. ) and flash/stun grenades to go to all forces in all devisions, special forces and veterans take priority.

I, Suggest special forces begin training with Gliders for aerial operations.

J, Suggest continued commando assaults on Morovian holdings, priority on killing important figures and damaging naval production/assets in drydock.
Also suggest sending several units to scout our other neighbour, priority on reporting enemy defenses and production facilities. Also report on enemies military equipment.

O, Suggest 3 factories be built and tooled to production of all infantry weaponry and equipment, all weapons from these factories to go to infantry devisions. (( Includes mines, suppressor, grenades and so on. ))
(( What they do and don't have. ))

+1 vote for 1, 2, 3.2, 5, 8, 11, 12, 15, 16.

+1 vote for A, B, C, E, F, K.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2013, 10:40:18 pm by Brood »

mesor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #664 on: May 09, 2013, 09:47:58 am »

11, Begin designing an infantry portable AP mine named the BuzSaw, mine should be pressure detonated and spring 1 meter into the air before sending out waves of razor sharp projectile in all directions.

12, Begin work on our current radios to reduce size as much as possible while maintaining long ranges. Priority on designing infantry radios that require very little space.

K, Propose naming the infantry portable anti armor weapon The Scorpion

Vote For, 1,2,3.2,5,8,9,10,15,16.
Vote For, A,B,C,E,H,I,J,O.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2013, 10:21:11 pm by mesor »

kahn1234

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #665 on: May 09, 2013, 10:25:42 am »

Vote For, 1,2,3,4,5,8,9,10.
Vote For, A,B,C,D,E,F,G,H,I,J.

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #666 on: May 09, 2013, 10:30:30 am »

I'm assuming mesors's should be 11&12, so I'll vote accordingly

I Vote 1, 2, 5, 8, 9, 10, and 11

I vote A, B, C, D, E, F, G, H, I, J. As an addendum to H, here's what I'd like our standard soldier's kit to be:
Armor:woolen winter long coat over flak jacket+open steel helmet
Primary Weapon:SVA-10
Secondary Weapon:people's little friend/bayonet(soldier's choice)
This fort really does sit on the event horizon of madness and catastrophe
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

kahn1234

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #667 on: May 09, 2013, 10:31:24 am »

I'm assuming mesors's should be 11&12, so I'll vote accordingly

I Vote 1, 2, 5, 8, 9, 10, and 11

I vote A, B, C, D, E, F, G, H, I, J. As an addendum to H, here's what I'd like our standard soldier's kit to be:
Armor:woolen winter long coat over flak jacket+open steel helmet
Primary Weapon:SVA-10
Secondary Weapon:people's little friend/bayonet(soldier's choice)

Give them both a bayonet and a Pistol

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #668 on: May 09, 2013, 10:38:13 am »

If they skip one then I would say leave it, there is no real harm in a skipped number, and swapping the numbers around can cause problems.
Vote 8, 12
« Last Edit: May 09, 2013, 11:39:18 am by RAM »
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Read the First Post!

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #669 on: May 09, 2013, 10:43:37 am »

13)(make up your mind mesor! :P)Reverse Engineer and improve upon the raised sub's 600kw diesel electric power plant. Bring in our electrical engineers and propulsion engineer to do this. I'm looking to create a better large powerplant for bigger ships by designing a diesel-electric turbine
14)Remember that grenade from waaaay back in turn one? I propose we finally finish it now that we have timed fuses down

Production stuff:
L)Propose that several factories producing several similar and/or complimentary things(such as moving the factory producing aviation engines and the factories producing planes) together into one industrial complex to simplify supply chains
M)Have the boatyard we currently have start converting existing Popular Devotions into the ASW design

N)Name the frag grenade the UPX-1F, the flash grenade the UPX-1M, and the stun grenade the UPX-1C

Also, belated vote for 12, and K
« Last Edit: May 09, 2013, 10:51:57 am by tryrar »
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #670 on: May 09, 2013, 10:47:11 am »

Vote 13,14
Vote L,N
« Last Edit: May 09, 2013, 11:38:58 am by RAM »
Read the First Post!

Brood

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #671 on: May 09, 2013, 10:48:34 am »

(( 12 and K, he fixed the numbers. ))

kahn1234

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #672 on: May 09, 2013, 10:50:25 am »

as noone seems to be visiting the OOC:

this is what i came up with for arty:

94mm Dedicated AA gun Codename: ‘Whiplash’:
Target specifications:
Max range: 19,000m horizontal with a 15,240m ceiling
Muzzle velocity: 1067m/s
Rate of fire target: 12 rounds per minute at least
Traverse: 360 degrees
Elevation: -10 - +85
Carriage: Mobile and Static
Shell: Depends
Crew: as low as possible without sacrificing efficiency or RPM.
Weight: As low as possible without sacrificing anything.
Length: 5m
Barrel Length: 4.8m

Special features of design:

Fit it with a 114.3mm barrel lined down to 94mm, and using the 114.3mm size cartridge. Change the barrel to have graduated rifling: the rifling groove depth should decrease to zero over the last five calibres of the barrel before the muzzle. This should smooth the two driving bands of a new design shell giving reduced air resistance and hence better ballistic performance, and causing far less barrel wear.

Linked technology:
1.   An advanced AA predictor and AA sights.
2.   Various fuses for different ceilings

87.6mm Howitzer Specification Codename: ‘LRA-88’

Weight: As low as possible without sacrificing anything
Length: 4.6m
Barrel Length: 4m
Width: 2.2m
Height: 1.2m
Crew: As low as possible without sacrificing efficiency and RPM
Shells: High explosive, Anti-Tank and Smoke.
Shell Weight: Depends
Breech: Horizontal semi-automatic sliding block
Recoil Compensation: Hydro-Pneumatic
Elevation: -10 to 70 degrees
Traverse: 10 degrees left or right; if on platform, 360 degree traverse
Rate of fire: As high as possible, preferably over 10 RPM.
Muzzle velocity: As high as possible without increasing part wear.
Max Range: As high as possible.
Sights: Calibrating and reciprocating

120mm Howitzer Specification Codename: ‘LRA-120’

Weight: As Low as possible without sacrificing anything
Length: 6m (with limber)
Barrel Length: 4m
Width: 2m
Height: 2m
Crew: As low as possible without sacrificing anything
Breech:  Horizontal semi-automatic sliding block\
Recoil: Hydro-pneumatic
Carriage: Split Trail
Elevation: -10 to 70 degrees
Traverse: 50 degrees
Rate of Fire: As high as possible, preferably over 10 RPM.
Max Range: As far as possible.
Sights: Advanced Artillery sights, calibrators and predictors.

Self Propelled Artillery Codename ‘SPLRA-152’ Nickname: ‘Slapper’:

Weight: As light as possible.
Length: 7.2m
Width: 4m
Height: 3m
Crew: 6 –Driver and 5 man arty crew
Armour: 10-20mm slightly slanted
Main armament: 150mm Howitzer + 20 rounds
Secondary Armament: 1x 14mm MG
Engine: 2x400Kw Diesel engines.
Suspension: Torsion Bar

150mm Howitzer Codename: 'LRA-150' Nickname: 'Thumper':

Weight: As light as possible without sacrificing anything
Barrel Length: 5m
Breech: Horizontal Sliding Block
Recoil: Hydro-Pneumatic
Carriage: Split tail
Elevation: -10 to +70
Traverse: 65 degrees
Rate of Fire: As fast as possible, preferably 6 RPM
Muzzle Velocity: As high as possible.
Maximum range: As high as possible.

If anyone likes them, put them forward as your ideas with their own numbers.

As for firearms, we already have powerful and good MG's, a fantastic all round battle rifle effective at all ranges, a good pistol and a powerful shotgun. Plus a powerful 14mm sniper rifle.

The only things we don't have is a light sniper rifle, SMG and Assault rifle.

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #673 on: May 09, 2013, 10:54:37 am »

We ARE visiting the OOC. I was just about to comment next turn I'm introducing a High-velocity 122mm as a compromise between our 80 &160mms (most of the punch of a 160, only a bit heavier than an 80)

kahn1234

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #674 on: May 09, 2013, 10:57:36 am »

We ARE visiting the OOC. I was just about to comment next turn I'm introducing a High-velocity 122mm as a compromise between our 80 &160mms (most of the punch of a 160, only a bit heavier than an 80)

Isn't a high velocity 122mm gun more a tank cannon? Usually artillery (unless AA/AT) is low velocity.
Pages: 1 ... 43 44 [45] 46 47 ... 66