Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 66

Author Topic: The revolutionary design bureau, under new management  (Read 61751 times)

kahn1234

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The revolutionary design bureau, under new management
« Reply #300 on: May 04, 2013, 05:37:26 pm »

On the subject of the heavy tank (i think we were calling it the K-1?):

Test out the suspensions, drive train and engines. make sure they run well. Ideally try to make sure ware is either reduced to a minimum or eliminated in all meaningful ways. Then start work on the turret. ideally I'd personally want the turret to be a 3 man turret with ample extra room, to cater for more ammo when using a 40mm gun and more room for a larger gun when needed.

I mocked up what i would like the turret to look like. It is currently 'fitted' with a 110mm cannon:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

On the hatch at the top which hasn't got slanted protection (the commanders hatch) there should be an MG attached for the commander to use when out the hatch.

Also, i think we should really think about converting the engines to diesel, as well as tuning them up so they are more powerful.

As for an APC: I support a modified version of the Badger. However, keep the Armour the same as the MK1 Medium tank and the 40mm turret and cannon, but up the engines to the two used in the MK2. Add in the firing slots and enough room to fit 8 men and we're done.

A Self Propelled artillery version of the MK2 badger should be built too, furthering what Brood said earlier but not on a halftrack base. Not sure what gun we should use, although if we do build it the gun would be the current 80mm cannon.

Moving on to planes, i support the previous notion that we should at least start looking into monoplanes and maybe looking into early jet engines (the first jet engines were designed by a British fighter pilot in 1926 parallel to the efforts of a German scientist in the same year).

Finally, i support the continued work on the Alexi, as well as any variants we come up with.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2013, 05:51:31 pm by kahn1234 »

mesor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: May 04, 2013, 05:42:19 pm »

Revised 15,16. After some talk me and Mesor made up new designs, using our own and a few other peoples shamelessly stolen ( credit is given ) ideas.

15, Extend the frame of the badger enough to allow it to hold 12-16 soldiers in the rear hold, remove all primary weapon systems to add space, bolt 4 Patriotism Mk 3 onto the roof of the APC and add hatches to the roof of the APC behind those 4 guns, the guns are to be above the 2 seats closest to the driving compartment and 2 closest to the rear doors above the seats to allow passengers to stand on seats with the hatch open to operate the guns, the guns are to have armor forming a 3 sides box around the hatch while the hatch opens to cover the back to shield gunners.
Use the advanced design badger with 2 engines and heavier armor.
Credit to Moeggi for adding heavy infantry weapons in place of the main guns to save space.

(( No primary weapon means it needs minamul extension and is also significantly cheaper, to produce, it lacks the firepower I wanted but it's simple enough to add better weapons to replace the machineguns later and until then 4 of them provides a 360 degree field of fire from 4 weapons providing a lot of fire support while mobile or stationary and it keeps the heavy armor to enable it to operate in areas with enemy armor. ))

16, SPIA ( Self proppeled indirect artillery. ) Design a halftrack with front wheels and rear tracks, add an armored roof that can be withdrawn to the sides of the rear compartment to provide cover while mobile and additional armor when in use.
Attach an indirect firing artillery piece that can be adjusted to a high enough angle to use against aircraft also make it capable of firing a 160 mm HE shell and a 160mm varient of the 40mm AA time fused shell.
Credit to Mesor for the artillery and Elfeater for the Halftrack idea.

(( We have the shell size already so no new size to create, we have no mobile artillery everything needs to be dragged into position which takes time for transport and more to set up, this can move at speeds near that of the badger on it's own and has armor as well, enabling us to move large numbers of artillery into position, use them then move out again in a far far shorter length of time then anything else we've got, it also does enough damage to knock out a tank and though it's not built for it, it can at a stretch provide atleast some AA fire. In some situations it may be useful I suppose for AA. ))

+1

Both seem reasonable to me and give us everything we need for an armored devision, next time the enemy attacks they'll find more then rookie infantry with out dated kit in the way, they'll find a veternal army of heavily armored soldiers with massive armored support.

5. Have our aerospace engineer, along with a novice or two, experiment with single-wing style airframes. (Yes, monoplanes.)

1.1. Ensure that the Alexi has four torpedo tubes, to ensure maximum anti-ship firepower.

Let the engineers give the SMG another try, but use the 9mm short cartridge from our earlier pistol, and reduce magazine size to 30-40 round drum/stick mags.

6. Apply improvements to existing products, and make use of trophy carbines for the army when possible/needed.

7. Further improve engine. (Happens before 6 if approved.)

8. Apply spare workers to churning out SVA-10s and the like, but airforce and navy take precedence.

9. Produce more planes.

+1, especially to the SMG.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2013, 05:46:43 pm by mesor »

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #302 on: May 04, 2013, 05:49:34 pm »

The nature of the mechanics as they are right now.

each engineer gets a die roll. Novices start at 1d6, engineers get 1d8, experienced get 1d10, etc.
If an engineer rolls his max value, that is a critical success. A critical success allows an additional die to be rolled and added to the total for progress. A critical success also means that engineer will advance to the next level of experience.
If an engineer rolls a 1, that is a critical mistake.
A critical mistake can only be countered by another engineer rolling a 7 or higher, for novices this means getting a critical success.
Any critical mistake that is not countered results in a flaw in the design.
If there are more critical successes than critical failures? the design gets some kind of bonus. Sometimes I let you guys pick, sometimes I just put something in.

How do I count progress? I make up a number for how difficult something is. If that number gets met from the total from the engineers assigned to the task, the design is completed with whatever flaws or bonuses it may have. This consists of me mostly looking stuff up, doing a little math and bullshitting something that sounds plausible. These "rules" didn't start this way, but its pretty much how things have gone since the last 2 or 3 turns, and they may evolve again at some point.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: May 04, 2013, 05:51:12 pm »

Hmm... We need to keep a few novices on every project then, because they're more likely to innovate with a critical success.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #304 on: May 04, 2013, 05:53:59 pm »

Hmm... We need to keep a few novices on every project then, because they're more likely to innovate with a critical success.
And more experienced engineers are more likely to counter the more frequent critical mistakes of the novices.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

BlasterKyubey210

• Bay Watcher
  • Let's ride
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: May 04, 2013, 06:01:49 pm »

+1 to proposals 15 and 16 here

Brood

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: May 04, 2013, 06:09:20 pm »

Sweet, both Dooms and my proposals have the required 2 votes.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: May 04, 2013, 06:56:54 pm »

Vote for 15.1: Basic armoured car for modular designs.

17: Build a training facility and design courses for engineers.
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: May 04, 2013, 07:21:54 pm »

+1
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

Brood

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: May 04, 2013, 07:29:16 pm »

+1
I'm good with these as well, but with 15.1 being done seperate from 15 since the 2 are totally different designs one being car one being badger.

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: May 04, 2013, 07:48:08 pm »

i cant help but remember that Russian tank riders had metal body armor, i propose that we try to build our own.
18: work on body armor, a heavy vest thick cotton base with 2mm of harden steel on top should stop pistol rounds and shrapnel.
and a light vest with out the steel plates

Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Brood

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: May 04, 2013, 07:52:55 pm »

...... that is the most rediculous thing I've ever seen.

WE MUST HAVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

+1 to 18.

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: May 04, 2013, 07:56:46 pm »

ok why do we need an apc?
Spoiler: when we can do this! (click to show/hide)

Brood

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: May 04, 2013, 07:58:34 pm »

(( ..... I honestly can't tell if your serious. ))

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: May 04, 2013, 08:06:50 pm »

im serious about the body armor, the tank riders are more of away to get masses of troops killed/wounded fast, one machine gun burst, explosive or a hard stop and no more tank riders.

Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 66