Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 66

Author Topic: The revolutionary design bureau, under new management  (Read 61579 times)

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
The revolutionary design bureau, under new management
« on: April 27, 2013, 05:47:27 pm »

Inspired by this: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=125269.0

This game takes place in a fictional universe not unlike western Europe in the 1920's. Your nation is situated on a peninsula with land routes to two other nations of dubious intention. It was once a regional, but not global power. But that was before the revolution. For generations the monarchy and noble class had abused and oppressed the proletariat. Last year, all that changed. There was a popular uprising that swept away the old order and replaced it with a glorious new revolutionary government. And now the sharks are circling, your neighbors have not formally recognized the legitimacy of your new nation, and it looks like the region is headed for a larger war.

Your nation sits on a fairly large peninsula with land routes leading to two potentially hostile nations, with several more within a few days travel by sea.

Today is the first day of your new job. You have been assigned to the Military Design Bureau in charge of all military development for your fledgling government. You arrive at the small brick building at the test facility that is the first of several new buildings to be completed. Your desk is already full of paperwork that requires your attention. Sorting through them you find reports on the resources you have available and the current state of military affairs.

Spoiler: Initial resources (click to show/hide)

Designer notes:
I am using plenty of abstractions and best guesses.

I will occasionally come in with demands from the government and military to develop a general/specific type of thing. You are otherwise permitted to design any kind of hardware you like. Note that the more outlandish technologies you propose may be impossible, have severe drawbacks, or take far more resources than you have to develop. Even for entirely reasonable projects, there will be some element of chance where what you want to produce will end up costing more or less than you anticipated, or what you get may not exactly match your proposed design.

Any proposal must get at least 2 approving votes before it is considered. Multiple projects can be accomplished simultaneously by splitting resources.

I intend to update the status of this game about once per day, hopefully I can keep that up.
RULES:
Proposals
1: A proposal will be bold text.
2: A proposal will have a unique proposal number.
3: Design proposal number begin at 1 for each year and are incremented by 1 for each proposal.
4: Production proposal letters begin at "A" for each y ear and are incremented by 1 for each proposal
5: Proposals are to be made in the 24 hours after an update is made.
6: there is a limit of 4 design proposals per player, including sub and counter proposals.
6: there is a limit of 4 production proposals per player, including sub and counter proposals.
7: proposals do not count as votes.
8: proposals must be made in the 24 hours after an update.
for example:
1 : I propose that we mount lasers on the heads of sharks.

Modification of proposals:
1: All rules for proposals apply except the following.
2: Modifications to proposals will have a number in the format of proposal.sub-proposal.
3: A modification may be supportive (default) or a counter (must be explicit).
4: Votes made for a supportive subproposal will count as votes for the parent if the sub proposal has fewer than 3 votes or if the parent
5: Votes made for a counter proposal will not count as votes for the parent.

for example:
1.1 I think we should go all the way and mount the National Ignition Facility on the head of a sharkasourus.
1.2 I counter propose that we should instead create lasers that shoot beams composed of sharks.

Format for votes:
1: you must specify the proposal number explicitly.
2: you must use the word vote.
3: Votes must be made after the proposal period.
4: Each user should make all of their votes with one post if possible.
5: There is a limit of 6 design votes per player.
5: There is a limit of 6 production votes per player.
for example:
I vote for 1.2

Proposals and votes for petitions to the govornment are not limited at this time.

Current status:

Spoiler: At your disposal: (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Designs of 1920 (click to show/hide)

The revolutionaries begin preparing for conflict.
Tech & Battle post: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=125538.msg4208855#msg4208855

Spoiler: Designs of 1921 (click to show/hide)

The Morovian menace announces support for the deposed monarchy.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=125538.msg4211324#msg4211324

Spoiler: Designs of 1922 (click to show/hide)

1923 war with Morovia begins with results to our favor.
Tech & Battle post: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=125538.msg4216307#msg4216307

Spoiler: Designs of 1923 (click to show/hide)

1924 war with Morovia enters a stalemate as Morovian air superiority prevents advancement.
Tech & Battle post: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=125538.msg4219049#msg4219049

Spoiler: Designs of 1924 (click to show/hide)

1925: the siege of our forces ends as our aircraft push the enemy back and allow our tanks to capture their nearest airfield.
Tech & Battle post: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=125538.msg4221338#msg4221338

Spoiler: Designs of 1925 (click to show/hide)

1926: the Morovians build up their forces.
Tech & Battle posts:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=125538.msg4223619#msg4223619
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=125538.msg4224517#msg4224517

Spoiler: Designs of 1926 (click to show/hide)

After nearly 2 years of being free of the Morovian threat, they attack unprovoked with cowardly submarines.
Tech & Battle post: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=125538.msg4225922#msg4225922

Spoiler: designs of 1927 (click to show/hide)

In 1928 the Morovian submarine menace grows with ever more frequent attacks.
 Tech & Battle post: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=125538.msg4228041#msg4228041

Spoiler: designs of 1928 (click to show/hide)

The Morovian submarine menace cripples the Glorious and Alexi.
Tech Post: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=125538.msg4230726#msg4230726
Battle Post: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=125538.msg4232750#msg4232750

Spoiler: designs of 1929 (click to show/hide)

Due to post size constraints, the decade of the 1930's will be continued in the post linked below:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=125538.msg4243199#msg4243199
« Last Edit: May 19, 2013, 11:19:15 am by Nadaka »
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

RangerCado

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The revolutionary design bureau, under new management
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2013, 06:32:51 pm »

Begin Development of small-arms: (9mm ammo, 8 round pistol cartridge,(9mm ammo)  single shot pistol weighing under 5lbs allowing for 9mm ammo.

Begin repairing the various damaged and destroyed buildings, possibly pay non-active or free military forces to help. (this should lower the cost of repairs and increase the effectiveness of the militaries teamwork)

Produce 50 small cannons and set them up at the 2 land points to the other nations.
The best ship is the one where one of them is literally allergic to the other~
Quote from: NakaTeleeli
"A room ain't messy less you can't find nothin!"
[/quote]

Noodlerex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2013, 06:42:14 pm »

Begin Development of small-arms: (9mm ammo, 8 round pistol cartridge,(9mm ammo)  single shot pistol weighing under 5lbs allowing for 9mm ammo.

Begin repairing the various damaged and destroyed buildings, possibly pay non-active or free military forces to help. (this should lower the cost of repairs and increase the effectiveness of the militaries teamwork)

Produce 50 small cannons and set them up at the 2 land points to the other nations.
+1

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2013, 07:13:10 pm »

See what items we can buy.

Begin Development of small-arms: fragmentation hand grenade,100 grams of TNT for explosive charge, 4 second fuse.

Try mounting a Light cannon on a large truck for mobile AA use.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2013, 07:21:19 pm by Funk »
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2013, 07:21:40 pm »

I don't see the value of a single-shot pistol. I bet our engineers are capable of going for a semi-automatic one.

We seem to have come out of our revolution without any machineguns, though. I vote we attempt to design a squad-portable, water-cooled machinegun sharing the 8mm ammo.

I also have a question: Are our current Mosin-Nagants using front-post sights, or more modern ones? Also is the bolt vertical or bent? The original Mosin-Nagants were meant for low-accuracy barrage firing and used the post for range and had a vertical bolt. Later models (close to WWII) had more modern sights and a bent bolt handle which made room for a scope.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2013, 07:39:57 pm »

I vote we attempt to design a squad-portable, water-cooled machinegun sharing the 8mm ammo.

+1 to the machinegun

Begin Development of small-arms: (9mm ammo, 8 round pistol cartridge,(9mm ammo) single shotsemi automatic pistol weighing under 5lbs allowing for 9mm ammo.
a more modem pistol, but why not go for a Mauser type thing with an automatic switch for officers, with the right addons we have an uzi type thing.

we need a 20mm automatic for light AA and tank duties and fighter use .

« Last Edit: April 27, 2013, 07:43:47 pm by Funk »
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2013, 07:56:39 pm »

I don't see the value of a single-shot pistol. I bet our engineers are capable of going for a semi-automatic one.

We seem to have come out of our revolution without any machineguns, though. I vote we attempt to design a squad-portable, water-cooled machinegun sharing the 8mm ammo.

I also have a question: Are our current Mosin-Nagants using front-post sights, or more modern ones? Also is the bolt vertical or bent? The original Mosin-Nagants were meant for low-accuracy barrage firing and used the post for range and had a vertical bolt. Later models (close to WWII) had more modern sights and a bent bolt handle which made room for a scope.

The Mosin Nagants have the older post sights.

See what items we can buy.

Begin Development of small-arms: fragmentation hand grenade,100 grams of TNT for explosive charge, 4 second fuse.

There are not many countries willing to arm you with anything better than what you already have.

An truck with a 40mm cannon bolted onto a flatbed isn't something that requires more than a cursory amount of engineering, its something that you could begin production of right away.

All doable, though I would point out that 5lbs is really heavy for a pistol. And I am not sure exactly what you mean by "single shot", single shot typically refers to a weapon that can only be fired once before needing reloading. Single action refers to a weapon that can fire once and require a second action before needing to fire, examples include manually cocked revolvers, lever action and bolt action rifles. Almost all magazine fed pistols are double action (where the pull of the trigger cocks and releases the hammer) and single action auto (where recoil cocks the hammer) or both.

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2013, 08:03:19 pm »

An truck with a 40mm cannon bolted onto a flatbed isn't something that requires more than a cursory amount of engineering, its something that you could begin production of right away.
Great have some made as soon as we can, don't bother with armor, for now it will just be an mobile AA gun.
later we can try add armor to turn it in to self propelled artillery.

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2013, 08:23:19 pm »

+1 to all of these.

Also,
Attach a heavy cannon onto the back of a heavily armoured truck, with the most powerful engine we can fit in a car.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2013, 08:24:02 pm »

I would counter-propose that we just put the 40mm guns on trailers, that way we don't need a truck dedicated to every gun and we can also have horses or men move the guns if needed.

Also, can we ask our Glorious Leaders what kind of situations our guns are likely to be used in? For example, the Nagant is a pretty good weapon against enemies who're charging across open fields. Do we employ trenches? Do we often fight at close range (in forests or among buildings)? If that's the case, we might want to get a good shotgun available. But machinegun first.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2013, 08:50:15 pm »

+1 to 40mm gun trailers, it makes more sense to maximize what can move them.
but keep the gun truck 

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2013, 09:15:52 pm »

+1 to all of these.

Also,
Attach a heavy cannon onto the back of a heavily armoured truck, with the most powerful engine we can fit in a car.

+1 to these as well(with the minor adjustment of the 40mm on a trailer instead of the bed of a truck as suggested above)
This fort really does sit on the event horizon of madness and catastrophe
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2013, 09:42:08 pm »

So, Nadaka, are you just waiting for us to propose how to use our engineers?

-Patriotism 8mm Machinegun: Assign 10 engineers to a water-cooled machinegun that can operated by a couple men. Also, chain ammo for said machinegun.

-Small Cannon Trailer: Assign 3 engineers to making trailers and couplings to move around our 40mm guns easily.

-People's Little Friend: Assign 4 engineers to making a semi-auto sidearm with smaller rounds, for close encounters.

-Burst of Glory: Assign 3 engineers to making a hand grenade. Alternatively, if we need to make smaller ammo a separate project, set these engineers to design a 9mm medium-power cartridge for the pistol instead.

Later, if we want to be using the 40mm gun on moving trucks or as a tank weapon, we should look into making the autoloader more reliable. If it becomes an issue to use when the gun is aimed higher than 50 degrees, I doubt it's a good idea to put it in a moving vehicle. We could get jams or worse.

stabbymcstabstab

• Bay Watcher
  • OW SNAP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2013, 09:56:18 pm »

I think we should assign the 3 engineers on the Burst of Glory to design a helium producing machine, accidents happen around hydrogen. A hand grenade isn't something that we need right now and can be design rather quickly.
Long Live Arst- United Forenia!
"Wanna be a better liberal? Go get shot in the fuckin' face."
Contemplate why we have a sociopathic necrophiliac RAPIST sadomasochist bipolar monster in our ranks, also find some cheese.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2013, 11:00:08 pm »

Early in the year a number of proposals are made and the primary focus of efforts is made in expanding the test facility and developing a water cooled machine gun. Also on the agenda is the production of mobile 40mm cannon trailers and development of frag grenades.

Plans for the gun trailer get sorted out quickly with little more adaptation necessary than attaching it to a pair of heavy truck axles and some crank operated jacks for stability. 70 workers begin construction in your operational factory while the other 30 work alongside the volunteers from the peoples army. few of the soldiers helping to expand the facility are experienced builders, but they can haul material, dig ditches and lay an adequate brick wall. By the end of the year they have managed to double your factor floorspace and install factory machinery in the newly repurposed building. They have also managed to clear away most of the rubble and irreparable buildings around the warf.

37 of the 40mm mobile light cannons are produced. 10 accidents occured, 7 of which were corrected by worker heroes. No more than 3 of those weapons should suffer unexpected failures.

11 of your engineers spend the majority of the year designing a new machine gun build around the 8x54mm rifle round. Two design flaws were encountered early on, but both of them were corrected by worker heroes, In addition a particularly useful feature was added.

Your new Machine gun
Patriotism
Overall Length: 1.5m
Barrel Length: 1m water cooled
Magazine: belt fed
Weight: 30kg
Rate of Fire: 400 rounds per minute sustainable as long as cool water is available.
Pick a feature: (lightweight (15kg), high rate of fire (800RPM), unusually accurate, unusually reliable)

5 of your engineers spend the majority of the year designing a new frag grenade. Most of the year was spent trying to get the fuse working reliably and little progress was made.
Do you wish to demonstrate it anyway?

Edit: That last vote for the pistol pushed it over the edge,  moved 4 people from the Machine gun project to the pistol project, assuming that the intention is a semi-auto pistol.

4 of your engineers make progress on a sidearm to suppliment your main battle rifle. The work was uneventful, but successful. Its certainly not the worlds greatest handgun, but it will get the job done.

The Peoples little friend
semi-auto double action pistol
Barrel Length: 10cm
Magazine: removable box single stack 8 rounds of 9x25mm (in handle)

9x30mm cartridge
Bullet: 9x12mm
Cartridge:10x25mm

What to do now?
Select the option for the Machine gun and decide if you want to try and demonstrate the grenade.

You can also begin proposals for the next year of work!
Then I will post the governments reactions to your progress.

At your disposal:
5 engineers
15 novice engineers
7 workers
193 novice workers
A new brick office
A large flat field, suitable for use as a runway.
An old partially bombed out wharf with:
1 operational dockyard up to a displacement of 800 tons
2 warehouses converted to a small factory/machine shop.
Several cleared lots
Various damaged or destroyed structures that are of no use at this time.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2013, 11:21:33 pm by Nadaka »

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 66