Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 [51] 52 53 ... 66

Author Topic: The revolutionary design bureau, under new management  (Read 61639 times)

stabbymcstabstab

• Bay Watcher
  • OW SNAP!
    • View Profile
Re: The revolutionary design bureau, under new management
« Reply #750 on: May 12, 2013, 08:38:56 am »

12, Begin work on creating an infantry grenade launcher, it should contain 8 grenades at once cycling a new one in after each shot. (( Simple but a huge impact on warfare in fortified positions, being able to bombard positions at close range will be a massive help to our infantry as well as being a lot easier then carrying along mortars. ))

13, Design an external fuel pod for aircraft that can be dropped when required and contains a small explosive that detonates on impact with the ground to set fuel on fire.
(( Extended air time for our units is good, allows longer ranged bombing without needing new bigger aircraft and if needs be grants them an incendiary bomb to use as well, setting the deck of a ship on fire is a good thing.
Also means our fighters can avoid using up there main fuel until they engage directly so they have a longer fight time. ))

Subproposal 4.2.1: Add the capacity to mount bombs and/or rockets under the wings When not mounted, we do not lose much, but they can provide additional air support when mounted. Additionally, that may let us mount additional weapons under the wings, later.
I vote for: A.2, J, K, P
Proposal Q: Cease production of the Wolverine and Feather, produce Zephyrs instead until the next Fighter is finished. Better fighter than the Feather, better bomber than the Wolverine.

+1 to these ones and which proposal is the infantry Body armor? I support that too unless we already built it.
Long Live Arst- United Forenia!
"Wanna be a better liberal? Go get shot in the fuckin' face."
Contemplate why we have a sociopathic necrophiliac RAPIST sadomasochist bipolar monster in our ranks, also find some cheese.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #751 on: May 12, 2013, 08:41:40 am »

13.1s: Design it without the explosive. Having a lucky shot shot or unlucky malfunction blow up your plane, or drop a firebomb on your airbase, is Fun!

I vote for:
Designs: 4.2
Production: A,A-1,L,H

This might be enough to get your votes counted, but you should really bold them yourself.
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #752 on: May 12, 2013, 08:44:53 am »

Vote for 10, Paratrooping via airships is fun, even if it will end in a disaster. 

EDIT: removed vote for Q, as due to low cost Wolverines are acceptable for at least one more year before we get better better bomber aircraft
« Last Edit: May 12, 2013, 11:10:24 am by Ukrainian Ranger »
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #753 on: May 12, 2013, 08:51:54 am »

04: I would like to specify a 105 degree angle from the aeroplane's heading to the wings. No, I don't really have any reason for choosing that figure, but it seems reasonable and it was sort of vague before...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Brood

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #754 on: May 12, 2013, 09:09:51 am »

(( Uhm a lucky shot is going to blow up your plan either way, thats why you drop the fuel when you go into battle, the point of it is for long distance runs or if your fighting over enemy territory it does some extra damage. ))

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #755 on: May 12, 2013, 09:36:09 am »

((Still, I would not add impact explosives to a plane. Many G manoevers might accidentally trigger it, for example.

Then again, it should be possible to design the tank is such a way to ignite upon impact.))

Brood

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #756 on: May 12, 2013, 09:40:50 am »

(( Thats the basic idea, may as well put fuel thats dropped to some use. ))

mesor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #757 on: May 12, 2013, 09:57:19 am »

14, continue working on the smaller radio.

15, Begin work on creating synthetic polymers, priority on synthetic metals.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2013, 10:09:59 am by mesor »

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #758 on: May 12, 2013, 10:05:32 am »

Note. DOubt the gm will let us do that. Kevlar was very important in the founding of Polymer Chemistry.  At this point Nylon hasn't even been invented yet. The Polymer Chemistry industry doesn't even exist yet.

Also, Kevlar took 5 years to perfect.

Brood

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #759 on: May 12, 2013, 10:06:47 am »

(( Then makes sense to get an early start on it. ))

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #760 on: May 12, 2013, 10:09:23 am »

(( Then makes sense to get an early start on it. ))
You're trying to invent something which was an accidental discovery, in a field that doesn't even exist yet. Seventy years to early is a bit to much, I'm afraid. I'm not sure the ingredients even exist.

Brood

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #761 on: May 12, 2013, 10:13:05 am »

(( 50 years actually the first was developed in the 1980s, but he's changed it to begin developing that form of science instead. ))

3_14159

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #762 on: May 12, 2013, 10:20:29 am »

15, Begin work on creating synthetic polymers, priority on synthetic metals.
I like 14 and will later vote for it, but 15?
There are no materials capable of providing bulletproof body armor without restricting movement in pseudo 1930. Modern Kevlar is only proof against pistols without restricting movement. Modern kevlar + ceramic plate can resist the kinds of rifle rounds you encounter on the battle field, but not without restricting movement. At best, you can get can get pistol caliber protection when most soldiers carry rifles, or an armor so heavy and unwieldy that most soldiers will simply choose not to use it. You are about 1/3 of the way through this task. (progress:12 0 0 0 38)
I think that's all there is to say to that - would we be able to use modern materials, it'd restrict the movement too much; if we use 1930s materials we'd have tanks they need to shove. Even only developing the materials, I'd like to cite 10ebbor: "accidental discovery, in a field that doesn't even exist yet".

Proposal Q: Stop any and all production of the battlebus. Retool the factory to the cricket armored car. Use the rest for urban assault, and nothing else.
The battle bus costs as much as 32 armored cars! That's not efficient, and not bearable. Plus, it costs as much as three Badgers and three Hydras combined!

Correction edited in: Actually, the battle bus costs as much as 6 armored cars, for double the cost per transported infantry. I was basing this off a misunderstood post. I still believe it's a good proposal, just not necessary.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2013, 12:53:57 pm by 3_14159 »

Brood

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #763 on: May 12, 2013, 10:22:27 am »

(( And an armored car is useless if the enemy is using anything bigger then a suchmachinegun since it will go through the armor and kill the troops inside. ))

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #764 on: May 12, 2013, 10:36:15 am »

Proposal Q: Stop any and all production of the battlebus. Retool the factory to the cricket armored car. Use the rest for urban assault, and nothing else.
The battle bus costs as much as 32 armored cars! That's not efficient, and not bearable. Plus, it costs as much as three Badgers and three Hydras combined!
A battle bus costs as much as 6 armored cars, or about 2 times as much per soldier. It also protects the soldiers against everything short of an HMG or anti-armor weapon. Its probably a more or less even tradeoff.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 [51] 52 53 ... 66