Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 66

Author Topic: The revolutionary design bureau, under new management  (Read 61738 times)

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The revolutionary design bureau, under new management
« Reply #330 on: May 05, 2013, 04:39:28 am »

Vote for 11 Mostly because I wuv da lighter-than airships.
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: May 05, 2013, 04:46:00 am »

Now suggestions

1.1 Design two engined heavy fighter using the monoplane design we develop. Make it durable,  fast (monoplanes are faster than biplanes) and armored with at least 4 8mm machineguns (but should ber able4 to carry something heavier) . Design it in a way, that allows installation of slightly larger engine(s)s in the future. 

3.1 Redesign our current biplane fighter (use old engine for simplicity) to turn it into a light floatplane bomber, without defensive machine guns, but with new mount to carry standard bombs\depth charges\. Use the same engine and in general try to make it share as much parts with the fighter biplane as possible to let our biplane factories to build both fighters and those anti-ship aircrafts without retooling

4.1 Work on sub detecting equipment. High priority. 

10.1 Design simple depth charges that can be dropped from low flying biplanes  Righteous boats and Popular devotion. TOP Priority

12 Design  14mm machineguns, prioritizing punch and magazine over weight, RPM and cost 

8.1 send the refined car into limited production
When we'll need variants we'll develop variants

I vote for 6

I vote for 11
Airships have their uses in naval warfare and they are fun, but I prefer to have a faster response option (biplanes) So want both. Also this is essential and we must have two projects in case if one will fail.

As for 7, RAM, please, explain me a way to make a mobile 70 ton weapon that fires 1 ton shells....
Also explain why we need such a weapon

As for 9, I prefer monoplane for greater speed, and 8mm  machineguns are enough to knock fighters, later, we may install heavier machineguns or 25mm, or even 40mm (for ground attack role)  on the very same heavy fighters, So I ask you to drop 9 and support 1.1
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: May 05, 2013, 04:57:15 am »

As for 7, RAM, please, explain me a way to make a mobile 70 ton weapon that fires 1 ton shells....
Also explain why we need such a weapon
Put it on rails? We do have a railway network, right? It's not as mobile as normal mobile artillery, but at least it won't sink into the mud.
Long range bombaredement, I suppose.

Note that this thing is highly usefull.
Spoiler: List (click to show/hide)
[/quote]

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: May 05, 2013, 06:31:03 am »

Yes, long range bombardment, and weight reduction would likely be a major part of that. When I say mobile, my standards are pretty low, the mark one will probably be transported in two or three parts. But once they were set up somewhere they would be able to provide phenomenal bombardment to anything within a large radius. Ideally it would eventually evolve into a tracked vehicle, but for that we would probably be looking at, at least, the mk XIII Cod artillery piece...

13: build a 40mm man-portable artillery piece. Dub it the dogma.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2013, 07:27:56 am by RAM »
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Read the First Post!

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: May 05, 2013, 06:39:28 am »

Yes, long range bombardment, and weight reduction would likely be a major part of that. When I say mobile, my standards are pretty low, the mark one will probably be transported in two or three parts. But once they were set up somewhere they would be able to provide phenomenal bombardment to anything within a large radius. Ideally it would eventually evolve into a tracked vehicle, but for that we would probably be looking at, at least, the mk XIII Cod artillery piece...

12: build a 40mm man-portable artillery piece. Dub it the dogma.
It's number 13 actually. There's a reason I keep this little list around. Feel free to use it.

Another question. What's stopping our current land advances. Because the submarines don't seem to be too dangerous, as long as they don't start targetting our commerce supplies.

[/quote]

Brood

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: May 05, 2013, 06:42:23 am »

14, SPIA, Design a halftrack with front wheels and rear tracks, add an armored roof that can be withdrawn to the sides of the rear compartment to provide cover while mobile and additional armor when in use.
Attach an indirect firing artillery piece that can be adjusted to a high enough angle to use against aircraft also make it capable of firing a 160 mm HE shell and a 160mm varient of the 40mm AA time fused shell.

Continue work to remove flaws.

15,MAIV, Extend the frame of the badger enough to allow it to hold 12-16 soldiers in the rear hold, remove all primary weapon systems to add space, bolt 4 Patriotism Mk 3 onto the roof of the APC and add hatches to the roof of the APC behind those 4 guns, the guns are to be above the 2 seats closest to the driving compartment and 2 closest to the rear doors above the seats to allow passengers to stand on seats with the hatch open to operate the guns, the guns are to have armor forming a 3 sides box around the hatch while the hatch opens to cover the back to shield gunners.
Use the advanced design badger with 2 engines and heavier armor.

« Last Edit: May 05, 2013, 06:58:22 am by Brood »

mesor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: May 05, 2013, 06:46:43 am »

+1 to 14,15.

An armored car APC is no use on a battlefield, a medium machinegun will go through the armor and kill everybody inside, as will anything bigger, a tank, a light tank, a tank destroyer, a hand held anti tank weapon.
For behind the frontline sure but it's no use in a support role when everything above assault rifle size will kill everybody in it.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2013, 06:50:04 am by mesor »

scapheap

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a good guy...girl. My horse just eat souls.
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: May 05, 2013, 06:57:37 am »

+1 to 12, 14 and 15
You were planning to have a 15 year old magical girl kill Witches by drinking them under the table!? It's original, at least.
Morpheus, a magic girls game

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: May 05, 2013, 06:59:29 am »

Just a question, but why are we focusing on ground combat. While the suggestions might be usefull, they are not the solutions for the problems we currently have. IIRC, our groundforce is currently beating the enemy, air is a bit of a stalemate, and if we don't do anything soon, we might loose the sea.

Brood

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: May 05, 2013, 07:09:16 am »

Because if we fail on the sea it comes down to land, never focus all your efforts in one place because if it fails your helpless.

The sea is still being worked on but preparing the land forces if the enemy gets past is the best we can do for a reserve, so me and Mesor are working out ground based equipment incase the navy fails, since even with better ships we'll be severely out numbered on the sea it's doubtful we could repel them all if they try to invade again.

So when they do if your ships get them then great, if not then my APC and Artillery will be ready to bomb the living hell out of the beaches and deploy infantry to contain any landings while providing fire support.
I always look at the moves one step ahead and behind of our main position, ahead is invading the enemy but we lack the hardware, behind is defending our land so we need enough fire power to repel an enemy with superior man power and weaponry that at least rivals our own if not out matches since we haven't seen what they've done with the TD and other systems.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2013, 07:10:51 am by Brood »

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: May 05, 2013, 07:18:31 am »

Weight reduction of 320mm gun  is highly doubtful, because our 70 ton gun  is very light for the gun of that caliber (and it has quite low range for midwar standards, we'll need to design better ones if we'll ever use it for navy)

Also, really interested what 40mm piece you guys want . Mortar? Recoilless? Wheeled light gun  with weight like 300 kg?

10ebbor10, I think because "we" care not about strategy or current situation and just want "our" own "cool" designs approved. Depth charges and the like are just boring for them. You see, Brood even speaks like "my tanks and your ships! "

Also, I somewhat suspect that mesor and Brood are the same person, similar  writing style, same ideas, same online times
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: May 05, 2013, 07:24:02 am »

Because if we fail on the sea it comes down to land, never focus all your efforts in one place because if it fails your helpless.
Then why are we focusing all efforts on land.  Because really, the majority of the suggestions is land based.

The sea is still being worked on but preparing the land forces if the enemy gets past is the best we can do for a reserve, so me and Mesor are working out ground based equipment incase the navy fails, since even with better ships we'll be severely out numbered on the sea it's doubtful we could repel them all if they try to invade again.
Are we outnumbered? We saw a few submarines, but that's it. I might have missed it of course. Besides, don't we share a landborder with them?

The largest threat is that they turn their submarines against our civilian marine, close of shipping and starve us out. Our economy is not indepenent, IIRC. I'm pretty sure they control the only land border, and generally, artillery doesn't do well without bullets to fire.

So when they do if your ships get them then great, if not then my APC and Artillery will be ready to bomb the living hell out of the beaches and deploy infantry to contain any landings while providing fire support.
I always look at the moves one step ahead and behind of our main position, ahead is invading the enemy but we lack the hardware, behind is defending our land so we need enough fire power to repel an enemy with superior man power and weaponry that at least rivals our own if not out matches since we haven't seen what they've done with the TD and other systems.
Generally, fortifications are used to defend, not mobile artillery systems. Those seem more suited for an attack. Besides, you can't hold the beaches if we loose the skies, no matter how much artillery and fortifications you got. That lesson was learned in the second World War. Another of those lessons was that you don't simply ignore submarines. So we can't afford to loose the sea either.

Also, what technical obstacles were there in the counterinvasion? Why was it stopped?

Also, I somewhat suspect that mesor and Brood are the same person, similar  writing style, same ideas, same online times
Doubt it.

Voting on:
3.2 (b, c)
4 / 4.1

« Last Edit: May 05, 2013, 07:42:20 am by 10ebbor10 »

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: May 05, 2013, 07:49:24 am »

Also, really interested what 40mm piece you guys want . Mortar? Recoilless? Wheeled light gun  with weight like 300 kg?
When I say artillery I mean howitzer, and I said man-portable so probably a mortar.

And the mobile artillery would be, well, for mobile artillery. You stick it in a ditch somewhere, someone whines about some spot that is a problem, the artillery piece and its friends make a loud noise and deny or suppress whatever spot was meant to be a problem. And with a 320mm calibre, 'suppress' tends to be a rather subtle way of putting things. If you run out of problem spots, or decide that there are too many problems to deal with at once, then you move it to somewhere else so that it can deal with problems there.

Ugh, thanks, sorry that I missed 12, I have edited my post.

5.1: Assign 3 engineers and a novice engineer to determine the necessary specification for a vehicle capable of wielding the 320mm gun as a howitzer. Who knows, maybe it will be as easy as sticking a floor and a few engines on top of a half-a-dozen tracks.
Read the First Post!

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: May 05, 2013, 08:02:06 am »

Actually, 10ebbor, I got the sense from the GM that we took all of their land that shared a border with us and the rest of the country is across the sea(correct me of I'm wrong Nadaka)
I vote for 1, 1.1, 2, 2.1, 3.2, 4, 4.1, 6, 7, 8, 8.1, 10, 10.1, 12, and 13(if he's talking about mortars)

16)Our current fighter should be named Feather(bugs me it's unnamed)

17)we need to finish the high-velocity 40mm, and use that as a basis for making high-velocity cannons of other calibers
« Last Edit: May 05, 2013, 08:22:33 am by tryrar »
This fort really does sit on the event horizon of madness and catastrophe
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

Brood

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: May 05, 2013, 08:20:29 am »

Hmm fair point, I'll look at ships and planes when I get home. Mobile artillery is both offense and defense and good for both.
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 66