Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: The Bureau: XCOM Declassified. Remember that XCOM FPS?  (Read 3247 times)

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Bureau: XCOM Declassified. Remember that XCOM FPS?
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2013, 11:31:30 am »

I find it really sad that a potentially Good Game is shouted down because of: THIS IS NOT X-COM! X-COM HAS ALWAYS BEEN A STRATEGY TITLE! DON'T MAKE EVERYTHING CALL OF DUTY LIKE!

I mean come on the concept is interesting. It plays in the 50s. That alone makes for a fresh scenario. And i really like the Idea of instead of just building my base i walk through it. I just like the idea of walking through this huge complex with holding cells for aliens with test labs which you see from a first person perspective. Just because it's First Person it doesn't mean in any way that it now has to be a linear rail shooter. And did they say anything that the sandbox part has been taken away?
I don't think it'll be awful just because it's TPP/FPP. I thought Alliance was an interesting idea at the time. Mostly I think it'll be awful because it's set in 50s/60s USA as a prequel to a series that was previously established not to have room for such a prequel. The origins of X-Com were explained prior. It did not exist previously. It was made out of necessity as an international project after similar individual nations' efforts failed. Making the organization an individual nation's project now and have it be successful in any way (to the point where they manage to cover everything up, even) is sorta shitting on the ideals of the original series.

And none of the gameplay footage we've seen thus far has inspired any confidence in me that this'll be anything other than a mediocre, script-heavy shooter. This new reannouncement doesn't even have any gameplay footage, just a live action trailer, which is just about the worst thing you could do to promote a project with this bumpy a history. These are Duke Nukem Forever symptoms - a teaser trailer released long after trailers of cancelled gameplay.

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2013, 12:24:38 pm »

And none of the gameplay footage we've seen thus far has inspired any confidence in me that this'll be anything other than a mediocre, script-heavy shooter. This new reannouncement doesn't even have any gameplay footage, just a live action trailer, which is just about the worst thing you could do to promote a project with this bumpy a history. These are Duke Nukem Forever symptoms - a teaser trailer released long after trailers of cancelled gameplay.

And that... Where are the golden age of sandbox with tools? I WANT MAH SANDBOX !!!! hehehe
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2013, 03:41:42 pm »

I'd be willing to give this a closer look. The cinematic trailer was pretty cool, it sounds like it'll have an advancing storyline like XCOM driving things forward somewhat out of your control, a battlefield map of American where you pick main or side missions, leveling up your dudes, the potential for them to die, a creepier, less cartoony presentation than EU....

There was a bit of jargon in there but it was the right jargon. Take the core elements of XCOM (as a turn-based strategy game), and do your own thing with them. As sort of the prelude to the other XCOMs, they've got the freedom to do things different thematically, tell a story vs. the other XCOM's more sandbox and story-neutral approach. I dig the idea.

Now, I'll await some gameplay demos, to see if their idea of all those core elements is something I'll enjoy. But I'm definitely now keeping an eye on this one, whereas the previous one I only looked at out of a sense of schadenfreude. (Although some of their aliens were pretty sweet, I wonder if they carried over.)
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2013, 03:57:02 pm »

I'll give it a chance. 2KMarin is moving in the right direction, and at the very least I don't want to whine about them making progress. The soundbites might just be a smokescreen, but I think that the backlash over XCOM may actually have done some good. I can see a game like this fitting into the lore if it is done properly. Time for cautious optimism, at least until we get a demo.

(Although some of their aliens were pretty sweet, I wonder if they carried over.)
That rectangular prism ship looked very much like the design from the first version of this, so there's a chance that they kept visual elements. Which I'm cool with, because a lot of the xenos looked just plain silly in the old games, and I'm not talking about the graphical quality. Lore-friendly visual improvements are a good thing in my book. For one, I'd love to see a Sectopod with that sort of design.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Enzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2013, 04:07:57 pm »

Not directed at anyone in particular so much as the "It's not XCOM how could they" vibe from some posts:

You do realize that they recently released a game that did a pretty good job of sticking to the source material, right? And it was really quite good? And there's a sequel in the works? I don't see why anyone would cry bloody murder about this not being faithful enough to the original games when you already have something that's faithful to the original games. If The Bureau turns out to be fun, great. If it's a mediocre game with a franchise slapped onto it, that's what it is. It happens. I could understand the rage at the aborted XCOM reboot, since it was at the time INSTEAD of a "real" XCOM game, but I really don't get it this time around.

I'm at least willing to hope that it could be fun.

Microcline

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2013, 05:39:17 pm »

Not directed at anyone in particular so much as the "It's not XCOM how could they" vibe from some posts:

You do realize that they recently released a game that did a pretty good job of sticking to the source material, right? And it was really quite good? And there's a sequel in the works? I don't see why anyone would cry bloody murder about this not being faithful enough to the original games when you already have something that's faithful to the original games. If The Bureau turns out to be fun, great. If it's a mediocre game with a franchise slapped onto it, that's what it is. It happens. I could understand the rage at the aborted XCOM reboot, since it was at the time INSTEAD of a "real" XCOM game, but I really don't get it this time around.

I'm at least willing to hope that it could be fun.
The people working on this game are 2K Marin, who have nothing to do with Firaxis apart from being owned by 2K.

The success of Enemy Unknown seems to have caused them to backpedal from their old position of pissing in the fan's faces to realizing that at the very least they might need to do some rebranding.  It's entirely possible that they're making a good game, an "XCOM Gaiden" that fuses Firaxis' XCOM with gameplay elements of Republic Commando and Fire Emblem.

But as Virtz pointed out, the signs right now aren't positive.  This is a studio who's only previous game is the cash-in Bioshock 2, we've seen no gameplay footage to substantiate the claims they're touting, and the long development cycle with no clear vision is reminiscent of DNF.

It is progress, though, as it moves the prospects for this game from "definitely shit" to "almost certainly shit"

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 27, 2013, 06:40:43 pm »

I find it really sad that a potentially Good Game is shouted down because of: THIS IS NOT X-COM! X-COM HAS ALWAYS BEEN A STRATEGY TITLE! DON'T MAKE EVERYTHING CALL OF DUTY LIKE!

Hey I liked the concept of a Xcom up and personal shooter/investigation game.

But every single bit of information that came out after that announcement was less "Potentially good game" and was more "mediocre game".

It wasn't trying to be "fresh" and "original" as I found out. They wanted to ditch the parts of the game that actually were original (investigation for example) into Mass Effect.

bluejello

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 27, 2013, 07:52:36 pm »

regarding the trailer, there is a sectoid... or that is what I assume it is, following the boy on the bicycle at the beginning, look on the left sidewalk, beside the tree. 

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 27, 2013, 08:27:37 pm »

There already IS a "classic" X-Com around (this baing the one mady by Firaxis).
Sure it was a bit... snipped here and there but it was close enough.

Now this...

So far all we got is a mostly cinematic trailer showing NONE of the action and several screenshots that don't show much aside of the graphics.

So we have to bellieve the written word that states the following:

1 - Your main character is key. He's either immortal and aliend blasters can only hope to incap him or... it's load game if he dies"

2 - You can recruit and customize additional "squaddies"
"Players will be able to control squadmates in battle and will recruit, customise and upgrade them as well."

3 - Those squaddies can die and it's going to HURT.

4 - “Bad decisions on the player’s part can result in permadeath for agents in the field. So this guy you’ve customised for hours is now gone and you’re screwed. And, unlike the turn-based strategic games where you can pull away from the main campaigns and kind of pull somebody off the bench, [the Bureau's] campaign is constantly moving forward. So our expression of the consequence of agent loss is even more brutal. But kind of awesome, too.”

This is something i don't quite get... the campaigh is constantly moving onwards... so its either scripted stiff based on date (day 1 small ufo, day 10 big ufo, day 25 terror site) or... its a dynamic campaigh where your unit is just a part of a large scale secret war that won't wait for you if half of you elite squad is dead or injured.

I guess we have to wait for it and see...
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 27, 2013, 08:43:43 pm »

I'd be pretty excited about this news if XCOM: Enemy Unknown hadn't already come out... but it did. It seems like this game, which started out being derivative of modern shooters and too cowardly to do something interesting, saw the other XCOM's success and is now touting many of the same things. They realized a proper XCOM strategy game could be successful and now want to copy it.

Not bloody impressed.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 27, 2013, 08:51:48 pm »

That's the thing, though. From what we've got it looks like they specifically aren't making an X-COM game in the traditional sense. It's a tactical-level third person shooter where you directly control a single character that can give orders to squadmates, rather than the fusion of god-level tactics and geoscape strategy that is X-COM.

Or maybe I'm just being strange and not instantly jumping on the SHIT GAME IS SHIT train before we see something which constitutes proof that it's shit. Granted, it probably won't be great regardless of what happens, but that doesn't mean that it'll be DNF.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2013, 09:03:45 pm by Flying Dice »

3. Run Resize Enable

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 27, 2013, 08:57:20 pm »

DN3D = Duke Nukem 3D?
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 27, 2013, 09:02:49 pm »

Nope. Misremembered. Wanted to purge the shit that was DNF from my mind, and unconsciously substituted the nearest thing.

3. Run Resize Enable

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 27, 2013, 09:05:09 pm »

Nope. Misremembered. Wanted to purge the shit that was DNF from my mind, and unconsciously substituted the nearest thing.
I see. Because I'm playing DN3D, at it didn't seem that bad for something so old :P
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 27, 2013, 09:06:06 pm »

I see. Because I'm playing DN3D, at it didn't seem that bad for something so old :P
Yeah, 3D was awesome. Especially the shrink ray. RAWR I AM GODZILLA.  :P

3. Run Resize Enable
Pages: 1 [2] 3