Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: The Bureau: XCOM Declassified. Remember that XCOM FPS?  (Read 3266 times)

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
The Bureau: XCOM Declassified. Remember that XCOM FPS?
« on: April 27, 2013, 03:15:31 am »

Turns out it's not an FPS anymore.

http://www.kotaku.com.au/2013/04/that-xcom-fps-isnt-dead-and-it-isnt-an-fps-anymore/

I had a search for a previous topic, maybe not too thoroughly but this is quite a drastic change in direction so maybe it's worth a new topic entirely.

I like the 1950's style of things. Large banks of blinking, small screened computers look an odd kind of cool/silly to me.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2013, 03:17:18 am by Mech#4 »
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
Re: The Bureau: XCOM Declassified. Remember that XCOM FPS?
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2013, 03:26:33 am »

“third-person, squad-based tactical combat
Carter wields a special ability called Battle Focus which slightly slows down the action and lets him issue commands.
Geez, I can already hear the screeching and scoffing.

However, I noticed a couple of nifty things in the trailer. At one point in a hallway, the camera pans by a door marked "Elerium Lab". A report on a typewriter also mentions "Sectoids". Plenty of looks at classic disk-shaped UFOs as well. So I'm still tentatively hoping that this works out.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2013, 03:39:30 am »

Prepare for incoming nerdrage.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

sebcool

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2013, 03:58:00 am »

Looks neat. PTW.
Derailing doesn't exist, derailed is the natural state of every thread.

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2013, 05:53:18 am »

Ill be honest i dont know how to describe my feelings toward this game, but switching from FPS to third person-tactical-mass-effect-1-wannabe might be a step in the good direction but what IP owners DONT SEEM to understand... is the SANDBOX FREEFORM of the game that is PART of what made XCOM great too.... Anyway we can only see if they learned it too...
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2013, 06:04:11 am »

As always I would have loved it if the 1950s Xcom was a prequel, basically what events took place that made the Xcom project come about.

A lot of people say it would contradict history but I think it works pretty well.

Lightningfalcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Target locked. Firing main cannon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2013, 07:05:40 am »

They MIGHT be able to pull it off, as they seem to at least be heading in the right direction, but I doubt they will. 
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum circo vincendarum
W-we just... wanted our...
Actually most of the people here explicitly wanted chaos and tragedy. So. Uh.

Ghazkull

• Bay Watcher
  • Can Improve, will give back better...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2013, 07:23:12 am »

I find it really sad that a potentially Good Game is shouted down because of: THIS IS NOT X-COM! X-COM HAS ALWAYS BEEN A STRATEGY TITLE! DON'T MAKE EVERYTHING CALL OF DUTY LIKE!

I mean come on the concept is interesting. It plays in the 50s. That alone makes for a fresh scenario. And i really like the Idea of instead of just building my base i walk through it. I just like the idea of walking through this huge complex with holding cells for aliens with test labs which you see from a first person perspective. Just because it's First Person it doesn't mean in any way that it now has to be a linear rail shooter. And did they say anything that the sandbox part has been taken away?

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2013, 09:28:07 am »

I find it really sad that a potentially Good Game is shouted down because of: THIS IS NOT X-COM! X-COM HAS ALWAYS BEEN A STRATEGY TITLE! DON'T MAKE EVERYTHING CALL OF DUTY LIKE!

I mean come on the concept is interesting. It plays in the 50s. That alone makes for a fresh scenario. And i really like the Idea of instead of just building my base i walk through it. I just like the idea of walking through this huge complex with holding cells for aliens with test labs which you see from a first person perspective. Just because it's First Person it doesn't mean in any way that it now has to be a linear rail shooter. And did they say anything that the sandbox part has been taken away?
That you will see once during the first stage of the game then will simply be prompted by menu between mission by after, that is if they are kind enough to offer you that opportunity once.... To be honest i sure hope im wrong but i believe this is what will happen, a series of pre-scripted mission with menu interlude with no free-form at all.

Look i dont mind FPS, TPS, RTS, RTT as long we keep the sandbox/gritty/scary/management/hardcore of the frigging game, so far the only thing that happent and seem to be happening with good old success where gameplay was important is dumbed down gameplay to favore trisomic 3yrs kids even if the game is frigging rated M for mature, they seem to try all they can to make sure that your alhzeimer-parkinson-quadraplegic grampa can play.

Dont get me wrong i LOVED the other XCOM as a game, but hated what they did to the old-school feel and vibe of the game. I really hope i am wrong on this one but sadly.... in all my years i can count on half-a-hand the number of time i have been. Im quite sure the game will be good and fun but again its what they do to the IP/spirit of the game that saddens me.

What did they do to syndicate? you know the X-Com like game from back in the day? What did they do to XCOM and SOO many other game.... and well the studio name says everything if you follow closely game market and whats happening to title/sequels.....

****Stop ranting*****

I want the game to be good while staying true to the spirit i mentioned higher up wich sadly will most likely not happen....
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2013, 10:06:41 am »

I want the game to be good while staying true to the spirit i mentioned higher up wich sadly will most likely not happen....
Mostly because it can't.

The songs never sung, the books never written, the games never made are the greatest of them all. It's impossible to surpass that which could have been.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2013, 11:12:20 am »

The songs never sung, the books never written, the games never made are the greatest of them all. It's impossible to surpass that which could have been.

Best quote I've seen in a long, long time.  Judge a game by what is, NOT the indescribable thing that didn't happen but would have been better in every way that was completely fictitious.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2013, 11:18:09 am »

I always thought, the potential of a freeform sandbox alien investigation thing could have been very good, but frankly...

1) This sort of seems a bit shit.

2) If you are making something like this, piggybacking on the "X-com" franchise is not a good idea.

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2013, 11:19:04 am »

Maybe its my french, but i dont think i really understand quite well, the problem is tha tgame did exist back in the days, im talking about what made the X-Com serie great, thats what i call the game spirit, if it did exist once why cant it exist today with all the technological advance we have. Hell just a full-on remake with better graphic would be better than some offshoot.... Why fix what aint broken? well they fix what is not broken and fix it so much that you cant recognise your car after you sent if for a change of oil....

werty892

• Bay Watcher
  • Neat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2013, 11:19:36 am »

Fuck, this looks like something I would play. I loved all the XCOM's, and this would be a new interesting take on the classic idea.

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2013, 11:21:31 am »

I always thought, the potential of a freeform sandbox alien investigation thing could have been very good, but frankly...

1) This sort of seems a bit shit.

2) If you are making something like this, piggybacking on the "X-com" franchise is not a good idea.
I would like to know how that could be shit but oh well... i must be getting old to prefer gameplay over shineyh stuff. I prefer an ugly inteligent girlfriend over a stupid hot chicks if you know what i mean, but again most ppl prefer the hot chicks god knows why...
Pages: [1] 2 3