Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: HARDWARE - Upcoming F2P RTS developed by former Relic staff  (Read 2743 times)

BuriBuriZaemon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
HARDWARE - Upcoming F2P RTS developed by former Relic staff
« on: April 26, 2013, 05:43:16 pm »

Nothing found on search so I believe this game deserves its own thread.

HARDWARE is the upcoming F2P RTS developed by Blackbird Interactive, established by former Relic staff (of Homeworld, Company of Heroes and Dawn of War fame). Not much details are available now but the arts on the website look amazing. Closed beta application is open.

https://blackbirdinteractive.com/

If I had one thing to complain, it'd that to get guaranteed access to closed beta you have to buy a $99 VIP package (limited to 10,000 registrants). I can't make that decision unless they have something more to show off... I am also not sure how the F2P bit will work.

With that said, this is looking promising and more RTS is always good!
« Last Edit: April 26, 2013, 05:57:45 pm by BuriBuriZaemon »
Napalm is great if you enjoy hot and spicy foods. I personally enjoy some liquid nitrogen.

Steam profile: Elsior
Friend Code: 2938 - 7181 - 3815 (Elsior/Elle Ciel)

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: HARDWARE - Upcoming F2P RTS developed by former Relic staff
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2013, 06:16:56 pm »

"We allegedly made some famous games! Throw money at us without any idea what the alleged game we're allegedly making is actually like, solely on the promise of our alleged reputation! Or, you know, fill out a long form and not get into our beta. BUT WE KNOW YOU HAVE TO PLAY ALL THE MMOS."

I'm just a little skeptical. ($99 to get into an MMO beta, and no information about what it's (really) like on their homepage? All of the alarm bells.)
« Last Edit: April 26, 2013, 06:20:26 pm by Shadowlord »
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2013, 07:45:50 pm »

Where you seeing this $99 thing? I didn't see it anywhere on the beta app.

Although the "Contact Authorization" disclaimer is, for some reason, kind of creepy.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

BuriBuriZaemon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Napalm is great if you enjoy hot and spicy foods. I personally enjoy some liquid nitrogen.

Steam profile: Elsior
Friend Code: 2938 - 7181 - 3815 (Elsior/Elle Ciel)

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2013, 09:04:33 pm »

Ah well, that's basically the equivalent of a pre-order package. Kind of a like a season pass. A damn expensive one.

Shouldn't be surprising when your CEO lists "emerging market opportunities" as one of their primary interests.
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

Biowraith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2013, 01:53:47 am »

Rightly or wrongly, I'm not sure advertising that they include "senior EA staff" is the way to encourage gamer support...

miljan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2013, 04:37:08 am »

http://kotaku.com/former-homeworld-developers-are-making-a-new-sci-fi-gam-5870674

For us at Blackbird, platform requirements were nebulous. We wanted to launch on social networks like Facebook, and then move onto mobile platforms including iPhone and Android, but tablets looked pretty good too, and a standalone PC build for Steam distribution also made sense. Consoles were a possibility in the future, depending on the success of the game.
Facebook Game, and for mobiles? ..... no comments
Make love not war

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2013, 05:46:48 am »

I think they said that they're moving away from the FB platform and that it'll be a classic RTS with no social newtork nonsense required.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2013, 06:35:52 am »

Here is a small video about the game, IT REALLY has a homeworld 2 art aspect and i LOVE it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=G37cFbkArlw
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

miljan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2013, 09:47:26 am »

Small gameplay:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0kqNp1fZ9xQ

The thing we can see is, well... it doesnt look that good for today standards. Has the homeworld feel, but generally I am very skeptical about this game.
Make love not war

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2013, 10:04:15 am »

"We allegedly made some famous games! Throw money at us without any idea what the alleged game we're allegedly making is actually like, solely on the promise of our alleged reputation! Or, you know, fill out a long form and not get into our beta. BUT WE KNOW YOU HAVE TO PLAY ALL THE MMOS."

I'm just a little skeptical. ($99 to get into an MMO beta, and no information about what it's (really) like on their homepage? All of the alarm bells.)

Relic have an INCREDIBLE amount of goodwill coming from their previous games' communities, and it looks like they are trying to cash in on that. I won't lie, I'm amongst their fans and I'm slightly tempted (not too much though). Don't underestimate what fanbases can do.
Come and be amazed by this wonderful menagerie! Draw your own! Bring your favorite! The [Forgotten Beast Art Contest] is open for business!
Now also available - [The Legendary Artifact Art Contest]! It menaces! It has rings! It has craftsdwarfship!
I have a [YouTube] channel! It has Let's Plays and other stuff.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2013, 03:41:36 pm »

I went ahead and signed up for the beta. Not paying a hundred bucks though. Not even for Relic.

For how much they keep calling it a 3D RTS though, I'm surprised we never saw the playing controlling the altitude of those planes in the trailer.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2013, 03:51:42 pm »

I'm a little excited...  Like, I might have had to change my underwear...  Not gonna shell out a hundred bucks, but if this plays as good as it should, then I'd shell out for some microtransactions.  I have no problem supporting Relic if I'm able!

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2013, 07:27:05 pm »

It does look pretty smexy, dated graphics or not. I'm interested for a PC release, at any rate.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2013, 07:39:17 pm »

It does look pretty smexy, dated graphics or not. I'm interested for a PC release, at any rate.
Graphics aren't even really 'dated'.  They work perfectly for what they're trying to do, I think.  Sure there's no itty gritty details of dirt on the truck tires, but the game's meant to be played zoomed out more and the units to look more like icons than highly detailed models - granted, they're a lot more built than icons (see: supreme commander uses triangles) but they don't need to be dynamically built or anything.  If anything, that would just create higher system requirements without adding much content.
Pages: [1] 2