Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Let's say someone has the means to make a perfect copy of you, give it $10, and destroy your original body, all with a 100% success rate, and he offers to do this to you. Would you accept?

Yes
- 10 (17.9%)
No
- 46 (82.1%)

Total Members Voted: 53

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 20

Author Topic: Consciousness and brain transfers  (Read 14148 times)

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
Re: Consciousness and brain transfers
« Reply #195 on: April 27, 2013, 05:29:31 am »

"You" is simply a cascade of neural activity within a mesh network of signal modification influenced by outside forces.
This is literally my definition of myself.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: April 27, 2013, 06:41:24 am »

But who is the original you? Do you mean you as you are now; or the future iteration of yourself who steps out of that person copying machine? Those are two different people, and it's important as to which you mean.
Mu.

Those questions are fundamentally flawed, as they make an immense volume of assumptions. First among which is that there is such a thing as 'you.' A thing which exists. This is absolutely false. "You" is simply a cascade of neural activity within a mesh network of signal modification influenced by outside forces. A concept we impose, not a thing which actually exists.
Now you're mixing stuff up again. What you gave there was a perfectly good (albeit unintended) definition of "you", and that concept totally exists in concept space (although it obviously can't be physically influenced). Now please don't mix up with the definition with the instance. You are an instance of your definition of "you", and you totally exist, or would you say that there is no cascade of neural activity within a mesh network of signal modification influenced by outside forces inside the body that operates on a mind containing the memory of typing all the posts under the name of "alway"? So you defined "you", you are an instance of "you", therefore this question makes perfect sense and can be answered. Example answer: "You as you are now", another example answer: "the future iteration of yourself who steps out of that person copying machine", third example answer (in this case the correct one): "Both of them", since both are cascades of neural activity within a mesh network of signal modification influenced by outside forces. The only problem with your definition is that there are currently trillions of yous on Earth, since your definition doesn't exclude neural cascades in other people.

A related question is this: if I were to move a file on my hard drive, is it still the same file, despite it possibly being copied and deleted, or having its meaning changed by the file system?
If you define a file as a binary string, it is still the same file, but it is now differently encoded into memory. If you define a file as a specific setting of bits on a specific portion of the hard drive, then it is not the same file. It all depends on the damn definition of your words, but there is an explicit yes/no answer for every definition of "file". The trick is to give your definitions of the words in your question while you ask the question, so the people answering them don't have to do a definition-by-definition analysis.

Similarly, is the game you are playing the same game you played before, since it is loaded into different areas in memory than last time?
If you define a game as an interactive algorithm, then yes, it is still the same game. If you define a game as a specific state of memory which happens to contain the machine encoding of an interactive algorithm, then no. It's all kinda obvious now that you think about it, isn't it? And if you want to refer to a specific definition of "game", feel free to ask the question like this instead:
Similarly, is the interactive algorithm, an instance of which a human body is interacting with, the same interactive algorithm an instance of which a continuous temporal backwards extension of that human body has interacted with before, if a machine encoding of this interactive algorithm is loaded into different areas in computer memory than last time?
Suddenly the question becomes obvious and redundant, and the answer should be a resounding "Yes". This is the power of unambiguous questions.

Mu.
A few years ago, I read "Gödel, Escher, Bach" which contained a few chapters regarding the concept of Mu. I became entranced by this concept and immediately started answering "Mu" to every ill-posed question. A few years later, after getting some first experiences with rationality, I thought about this again and realized that saying "Mu" didn't really clarify anything, it only avoided the question, changed the subject and made me sound like a gigantic wiseass (which I obviously was at the time, since, let's be honest, the only reason I said Mu was to sound smart). Then I read that book again, and suddenly half the book turned out to be a load of equivocative fallacious bullshit (although the other half was still great). Also I learned that Zen Buddhism is actually the worship of unlogic itself, and as such, everyone thinking that Zen Buddhism is a great and awe-inspiring thing is worshipping the worship of unlogic, which is even worse.

In both cases, something has happened to these concepts we designate as 'things' out of convenience. But they aren't things. They're abstractions we use to think about the world because to do otherwise would be too complicated to be practical on just about any level.
No, they're instances of abstractions, which is an entirely different thing, and as such, they are totally able to physically exist.

That is to say, don't get caught up in the terminology and mental constructs; if you find yourself going down a rabbit hole, it's likely because you are making too many assumptions when you ask your questions.
No, it's because you mentally intermingle different definitions of the same word. Avoid that, and you're fine to go.

Getting trapped in concepts of our own making with no bearing or existence in reality is as pointless as asking how many angels can sit on the head of a pin. There is no original; there is no copy; there is no you.
Now read this paragraph again. If you understood everything I wrote before, this should immediately sound like a festering load of bullshit.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: April 27, 2013, 06:59:50 am »

Okay, so, I've listened and tried to understand, and the only problem remaining is - if if I believe those who talk about consciousness being something that can't be transferred (somehow, for some reason that isn't really clear and seems rather arbitrary), that still leaves a vitally important question. Why does it matter?

If I've got a bunch of copies of myself running around, with the same memories as me, and the same responses to various stimuli, the same thought patterns, heuristics, algorithms, etc. and so on, what does it actually matter if I die? The only loss will be the divergent memories and changes since the clone process occurred, and it seems like much less of a loss than if I died without a clone (which is pretty much guaranteed, after all).

Personally, the only reason I see death as mattering is because of what is lost. In the dozen-clones scenario... nothing of any real value is lost. The things I care about, my memories, my potential, my experiences and my relationships, are all perfectly fine, if not improved! So some "consciousness" dies sooner rather than later? Why should I care? Why does it matter?

Why am I better off by choosing not to get copies?

realistically though, those are all just copies with their own consciousnesses, the original you is gone for good, and it doesnt matter if your clones run the whole world, you are rotting buried beneath the earth and will never be able to see the world again.
This is exactly what I mean. So what? That is how things are ALWAYS going to end. I'm not a nihilist, though. I actually believe the world exists, unlike you. And this particular instance isn't particularly important to me, especially since it's fate (i.e. death) is set in stone anyway.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2013, 07:04:25 am by GlyphGryph »

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: April 27, 2013, 10:33:51 am »

If you say copy, then unless you're suicidal it's an instant no. Come on.
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: April 27, 2013, 10:40:16 am »

A more interesting question would be how'd you'd handle it if you met a perfect copy. I'd probably pull a Doctor Who and treat it as a matter of course, recognizing we're (from the moment of cloning) distinct but otherwise the same person. Romances would be a difficult question, I'll give that, but that would depend on how long we'd been distinct. If i met a love interest ten seconds afterward now that would be an interesting question. I'd probably resolve to leave it a bit and see who turned out to be the best fit. How about you?
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

Catsup

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: April 27, 2013, 10:42:01 am »

And here's the part where I need you to define what you mean by "you". Also, in case you misunderstood, the clone isn't younger than you, it's a perfect copy-paste of all your particles at the time of cloning.
"you" refers to the you that is writing the messages in this forum discussion right now, the original you that was born by your mother and who isnt any clone.

the clone's age does not matter, it can be younger, older, exactly the same, it will always be another person which will never have "you" looking from out of it's eyes, "you" die when your original brain does.

Catsup

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: April 27, 2013, 10:45:38 am »

Okay, so, I've listened and tried to understand, and the only problem remaining is - if if I believe those who talk about consciousness being something that can't be transferred (somehow, for some reason that isn't really clear and seems rather arbitrary), that still leaves a vitally important question. Why does it matter?
This is exactly what I mean. So what? That is how things are ALWAYS going to end. I'm not a nihilist, though. I actually believe the world exists, unlike you. And this particular instance isn't particularly important to me, especially since it's fate (i.e. death) is set in stone anyway.
you are wrong my friend, the world exists, but only when your alive to see it. And death is NOT set in stone, many organisms have natural biological immortality or at least longevity due to how their bodies are built. Humans are apparently naturally selected for senescence because earlier humans in evolution often died from other causes before old age kills them (and passed on their offspring already) so there was no real natural selection against senescence.

Lysabild

• Bay Watcher
  • Eidora Terminus Imperii Romani
    • View Profile
    • My Steam!
« Reply #202 on: April 27, 2013, 12:37:05 pm »

As to my limited understanding, we're basically electrically charged flesh behind a bone structure, if you copy that charge into three identically pieces of flesh, and then removes the charge from the first, you've killed an instance that was cabable of experiencing the world beyond what it already had.

Even if a copy of me lives a good life and no one else ever knows, my charge is still gone if I'm dead and I won't know it. I'll not accept to die before I am forced, because I want to know the world. I don't care if you copy me a million times and each of them experience amazing things, the original charge has been put out and won't even know it. I'll be dead and it'll matter nothing to me.

I don't understand how you can have such a hard time understanding that.

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: April 27, 2013, 12:49:27 pm »

And here's the part where I need you to define what you mean by "you". Also, in case you misunderstood, the clone isn't younger than you, it's a perfect copy-paste of all your particles at the time of cloning.
"you" refers to the you that is writing the messages in this forum discussion right now, the original you that was born by your mother and who isnt any clone.

the clone's age does not matter, it can be younger, older, exactly the same, it will always be another person which will never have "you" looking from out of it's eyes, "you" die when your original brain does.
Dude, you still didn't define "you". Either you mean your body, or you mean your mind. Here, let me show you.

it will always be another body which will never have your mind looking from out of it's eyes, your body dies when your original brain does.
The second statement is true (we'll leave brain transplants out of the scenario for now). But the first statement is false, since that body has the same memories (therefore the same mind) as the original body.
Here's another question. Let's say you are abducted while sleeping and replaced with a duplicate of yourself. Nobody would notice, and your copy would be perfectly okay with that, since he doesn't know he is a copy.
Now let's say the same thing happens, except you are awake during the duplication process, and the copy remembers that. What would the copy feel?

As to my limited understanding, we're basically electrically charged flesh behind a bone structure, if you copy that charge into three identically pieces of flesh, and then removes the charge from the first, you've killed an instance that was cabable of experiencing the world beyond what it already had.

Even if a copy of me lives a good life and no one else ever knows, my charge is still gone if I'm dead and I won't know it. I'll not accept to die before I am forced, because I want to know the world. I don't care if you copy me a million times and each of them experience amazing things, the original charge has been put out and won't even know it. I'll be dead and it'll matter nothing to me.

Okay, so you agree it wouldn't matter to the original. And the copies are all fine with this too. I don't really see your problem here.

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: April 27, 2013, 01:01:05 pm »

Is it wrong that I laugh when I read stuff like this? I think that basically a clone with my exact particles and memories is me. At the moment of it's creation there is no longer a singular 'me'. There is now two units of 'me'. Once any amount of time has passed we are no longer identical, but neither has a greater claim on being 'me'. No more than the 'me' that existed yesterday still exists. Basically I think that mind and body are one and the same.

That... That does not make sense to me. What 'charge' are you going on about?

Catsup

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: April 27, 2013, 01:17:43 pm »

Dude, you still didn't define "you". Either you mean your body, or you mean your mind.
why dont you start defining what "mind" is? you know exactly what i mean, your brain is the physical reality that represents "you". Duplicating it perfectly creates a copy that is a copy, that are their own, and which experience the world as a separate being than "you".

"You" die when your original brain dies, period. I dont get why thats so hard to understand, we arent discussing sci-fi fantasy here.

The second statement is true (we'll leave brain transplants out of the scenario for now). But the first statement is false, since that body has the same memories (therefore the same mind) as the original body.
Here's another question. Let's say you are abducted while sleeping and replaced with a duplicate of yourself. Nobody would notice, and your copy would be perfectly okay with that, since he doesn't know he is a copy.
Now let's say the same thing happens, except you are awake during the duplication process, and the copy remembers that. What would the copy feel?
it doesnt matter what memories the body has, it doesnt matter what appearance they have, it doesnt matter if the world is unchanged since your clone is your exact double. It doesnt change the fact that he is a separate being than your original self, whose body cannot be controlled by your original brain.

the other 2 questions are kind of pointless, what exactly are you trying to prove?

Is it wrong that I laugh when I read stuff like this? I think that basically a clone with my exact particles and memories is me. At the moment of it's creation there is no longer a singular 'me'. There is now two units of 'me'. Once any amount of time has passed we are no longer identical, but neither has a greater claim on being 'me'. No more than the 'me' that existed yesterday still exists. Basically I think that mind and body are one and the same.
no one will know its not you, but it isnt you because you arent the one in control of the body, you arent the one looking through its eyes.

what is created here is a piece of flesh that just happens to have the exact same brain structure and organization as you (and thus the same mind) as your original self, but is a entirely separate entity with it's own thought process (even if those may be identical to you).

EDIT: after rereading, mind and body are not exactly the same for humans because we do not have a decentralized nervous system. Just transferring our brain is enough to transfer our mind and our present "ability to become conscious", into another body so we can wake up in that body.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2013, 01:22:25 pm by Catsup »

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: April 27, 2013, 01:24:48 pm »

Dude, you still didn't define "you". Either you mean your body, or you mean your mind.
why dont you start defining what "mind" is? you know exactly what i mean, your brain is the physical reality that represents "you". Duplicating it perfectly creates a copy that is a copy, that are their own, and which experience the world as a separate being than "you".

"You" die when your original brain dies, period. I dont get why thats so hard to understand, we arent discussing sci-fi fantasy here.

it doesnt matter what memories the body has, it doesnt matter what appearance they have, it doesnt matter if the world is unchanged since your clone is your exact double. It doesnt change the fact that he is a separate being than your original self, whose body cannot be controlled by your original brain.

the other 2 questions are kind of pointless, what exactly are you trying to prove?

no one will know its not you, but it isnt you because you arent the one in control of the body, you arent the one looking through its eyes.

what is created here is a piece of flesh that just happens to have the exact same brain structure and organization as you (and thus the same mind) as your original self, but is a entirely separate entity with it's own thought process (even if those may be identical to you).

EDIT: after rereading, mind and body are not exactly the same for humans because we do not have a decentralized nervous system. Just transferring our brain is enough to transfer our mind and our present "ability to become conscious", into another body so we can wake up in that body.
But WHAT MAKES IT YOU. I believe that it isn't a separate entity, as what is the difference?

Catsup

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: April 27, 2013, 01:31:22 pm »

But WHAT MAKES IT YOU. I believe that it isn't a separate entity, as what is the difference?
can you control it's body by will? are you somehow telepathically linked to your clone so you know what they are thinking?

there does not need to be any observable difference. Each functional brain has it's own "ability to become conscious" separate of other brains.

MorleyDev

• Bay Watcher
  • "It is not enough for it to just work."
    • View Profile
    • MorleyDev
« Reply #208 on: April 27, 2013, 01:35:08 pm »

There's no definable "you" as a constant. Better way of describing it is to think of it more like making a wave with string, their is a definite shape of a wave that is moving but the string that makes it up is not the same for the whole wave. *You* are the wave, the visible outcome of the physics, and brain is the section of string forming that part of the curve of the wave, and both are transient.

If I take another piece of string and make the same wave (or magically duplicate the string midwave), it's still a different piece of string with a different wave that just looks the same.

Still, it could be said that "You" die whenever you lose your train of thought, or go to sleep. For the idea of brain transfer, if you had something that slowly and progressively replaces the behaviour of the brain, something so progressive the sense of "You" never changes, then a brain transfer to another medium wouldn't be death of the self, death of the you.

To use the string metaphor, if you replace the piece ahead of the wave with string of a different material, when the motion reaches that part is it still the same wave? I'd say it's as much me as me five minutes ago and me five years ago were both me.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2013, 01:41:52 pm by MorleyDev »

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: April 27, 2013, 01:46:15 pm »

can you control it's body by will? are you somehow telepathically linked to your clone so you know what they are thinking?
Sort of? I mean, I could make a conscious decision now to do a handstand after the cloning happens. Then both mes will (at least try to) do a handstand after the procedure.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 20