Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Let's say someone has the means to make a perfect copy of you, give it $10, and destroy your original body, all with a 100% success rate, and he offers to do this to you. Would you accept?

Yes
- 10 (17.9%)
No
- 46 (82.1%)

Total Members Voted: 53

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 20

Author Topic: Consciousness and brain transfers  (Read 14196 times)

Catsup

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Consciousness and brain transfers
« Reply #165 on: April 26, 2013, 08:13:52 pm »

Okay, giant philosophical discussion. One question for me; am I dying or dead in this hypothetical scenario? Because if I accepted the offer as I am now I'd actually end up worse off.
youre very much alive in this scenario, thats the whole point.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: April 26, 2013, 08:29:58 pm »

Okay, giant philosophical discussion. One question for me; am I dying or dead in this hypothetical scenario? Because if I accepted the offer as I am now I'd actually end up worse off.
youre very much alive in this scenario, thats the whole point.
Not dying or anything that would give me a reason to throw away my body for no reason?
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Catsup

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: April 26, 2013, 08:37:30 pm »

Not dying or anything that would give me a reason to throw away my body for no reason?
yup the question is practically asking you if you would let a superior clone with all of your memories replace you. The old you, including the brain, is destroyed.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: April 26, 2013, 08:40:59 pm »

yup the question is practically asking you if you would let a superior clone with all of your memories replace you. The old you, including the brain, is destroyed.
For no reason. You're walking down the street and some guy says 'Hey how'd you like to get cloned and destroyed and your clone is given 10 bucks abd I take all of your money?!'
Sig! Onol

Catsup

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: April 26, 2013, 08:41:49 pm »

For no reason. You're walking down the street and some guy says 'Hey how'd you like to get cloned and destroyed and your clone is given 10 bucks abd I take all of your money?!'
he does it for free, your clone gets 10 bucks, your money is given to the clone too i think, no one will know you died, you disappear and the clone replaces you.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2013, 08:43:42 pm by Catsup »

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: April 26, 2013, 08:51:25 pm »

he does it for free, your clone gets 10 bucks, your money is given to the clone too i think, no one will know you died, you disappear and the clone replaces you.
I would wait until I'd wrung every scrap of vitae out of this meat sack that I inhabit currently, then copy myself over just before I die.
Sig! Onol

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: April 27, 2013, 12:28:48 am »

We are working with the luxury of a hypothetical situation. The people cloning you can be trusted. They will not betray you. We know this because we designed these people are part of the situation.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: April 27, 2013, 12:36:11 am »

We are working with the luxury of a hypothetical situation. The people cloning you can be trusted. They will not betray you. We know this because we designed these people are part of the situation.
I know, it just seems rather pointless to sacrifice a perfectly good fleshsack before it's done.
Sig! Onol

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: April 27, 2013, 12:50:48 am »

I know, it just seems rather pointless to sacrifice a perfectly good fleshsack before it's done.
Just like it's rather pointless to replace the jet engine since the flames have only engulfed half of it. :P

That is to say, by that point the damage has been done, and waiting longer only makes it worse.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: April 27, 2013, 01:10:46 am »

Just like it's rather pointless to replace the jet engine since the flames have only engulfed half of it. :P

That is to say, by that point the damage has been done, and waiting longer only makes it worse.
But this body that I have is perfectly healthy right now!
Sig! Onol

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: April 27, 2013, 01:17:25 am »

The point isn't to improve your body.
What ever state you enter as, that is what you will be cloned as. The only benefit you stand to gain is $10.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: April 27, 2013, 01:18:27 am »

The point isn't to improve your body.
What ever state you enter as, that is what you will be cloned as. The only benefit you stand to gain is $10.
Eh. I'm too miserly to do that until I'm almost dying.
Sig! Onol

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: April 27, 2013, 01:20:52 am »

But this body that I have is perfectly healthy right now!
The brain, on the other hand, is aging. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aging_brain

This, as with most things medical, is best applied as early as possible; irreversible changes occur which can make it less useful.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: April 27, 2013, 01:30:01 am »

Oh true.
Remind me, when is a human considered 'adult'?
Sig! Onol

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: April 27, 2013, 01:40:33 am »

That depends on the cultural attitude at the times. The minimum tends to be 12 for females and 13 for males, but in some places the age can be as high as 25.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 20