Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: question about Toady's blog  (Read 764 times)

guessingo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
question about Toady's blog
« on: April 26, 2013, 11:17:16 am »

My understanding of the release numbers

.xx.yy

xx: how many features are in the game. so at 34. There are 34 major features.
yy: revision number of the .xx to fix bugs.

Toady blogs above new features he is working on. Are there any posts to summarize these blogs into new features. Such as, looks like he is working on feature x,y,z for the next release. Its hard to connect what he is blogging about to his roadmap. I think his roadmap indicates which of his major features have been implemented, but it doesn't say what he is working on now or plans to work on. I understand this because some features are harder than others and he has to change plans.

is there anyway to tell from the blog if Toady thinks he is getting close to another major release? Or is it a total surprise when the next major version comes out?

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: question about Toady's blog
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2013, 12:26:46 pm »

There's no way to tell from the board besides reading the whole thing and listing every little thing he mentions. Thankfully, other people have already done this for the common benefit.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Vgy5h5tmWFZLqCJMYd1cbGG67SUCSIn30Y--DNymzdg/edit?pli=1

However if you're asking specifically with regard to the design goals as they affect version numbering, there's no way to tell that. The current goal list (and their numeric value, which is no longer 1-1) is not made public.

To tell how close we're getting is similarly inexact, however Toady has worked on everything he says he plans to at this point and is wrapping things up, so I'd say the release may very well be within the next couple months.

mnjiman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2013, 03:05:06 pm »

THank you for that list, I was wondering myself.
I was thinking more along the lines of this legendary champion, all clad in dented and dinged up steel plate, his blood-drenched axe slung over his back, a notch in the handle for every enemy that saw the swing of that blade as the last sight they ever saw, a battered shield strapped over his arm... and a fluffy, pink stuffed hippo hidden discretely in his breastplate.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2013, 03:20:26 pm »

I'd say the version number is, oh, 38.01. I'm calling it.