Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Constructing a proper water reservoir?  (Read 1251 times)

Ashery

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Constructing a proper water reservoir?
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2013, 01:08:29 pm »

This is nice mostly because water is very viscious when flowing horizontally, without pumps any drainage system that doesn't have a LOT of z-level drop will be too slow.

Minor correction: When working with pumps, water no longer flows, it's teleported.

Its no different than walling off part of a cavern near the map edge and pumping your water off the map that way.

Except that the cavern exists outside of your fort. If one were the extend their fort for another tile, there would be open areas for the water to flow in the cavern, but the fortification would just be a dead end.

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2013, 03:12:25 pm »

Except that the cavern exists outside of your fort. If one were the extend their fort for another tile, there would be open areas for the water to flow in the cavern, but the fortification would just be a dead end.

Well, I was talking about mechanics, not judging how exploit-y it is.  But if you wanna go there, the cave could just curve upward or stop 1 tile off the edge of the map, or a new cave could begin in the tile adjacent to your fortifications.
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2013, 03:18:14 pm »

Ninjaed by slothen...

As one can't extend an (in progress) embark, it's moot what lies beyond the edge, and a matter of interpretation.

And/or conscience, if that's a problem.

Personally I more often work with riverless/lakeless surfaces, and avoid aquifers so I don't have too many reasons to need to 'dump' water (and have never purposefully atom-smashed it, in fact find flood controls a little too water-smashy when I'm working in a very dry environment) but have probably dumped more into caverns (sometimes dry), letting it flow out the edge if it overflows to there before evaporating (or if into an edge-connected cavern-pool, accepted that the water flows off the edge in that circumstance too) and yet technically if I were to have adopted an additional embark tile or two over the edge that I have chosen I will surely have discovered that the pool is not capable of taking infinite water (for the sake of argument).  In that manner it's similarly exploity.

Spreading it out and letting it evaporate might seem the most ethical...  Except that surely humidity (or more permanent sogginess of ground, beneath) should occur if every full 7/7ths tile of water has been spread into anything up to seven 1/7th puddles.

On the surface, maybe the evaporation occures without creating too much condensation in a cooler part of the underground fort.

I suppose the best non-exploity thing to do is to pump it into the river or stream flowing through your site (if you have one), and argue that the extra volume will fit between the banks without creating a marshy bit of additional flood-plane. ;)

Ashery

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2013, 03:24:51 pm »

Well, I was talking about mechanics, not judging how exploit-y it is.  But if you wanna go there, the cave could just curve upward or stop 1 tile off the edge of the map, or a new cave could begin in the tile adjacent to your fortifications.

Could, yes, but there's actually a very high chance that the cavern extends beyond your region, whereas the fortification is all but guaranteed not to. I also only dump finite amounts of water as I prefer closed systems for waterfalls and the like, so there's never an issue that I'd've technically flooded the entire cavern (Then again, we now need to bring in details like the fact that water sources are infinite under so many conditions, among a bunch of other shit, so this isn't a particularly productive topic of discussion).

I did, however, somehow miss the subtext that you were only explaining the mechanics of it, so sorry about that.
Pages: 1 [2]