Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Organized milking/shearing?  (Read 3092 times)

moondowner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Organized milking/shearing?
« on: April 24, 2013, 12:27:52 pm »

I wonder, if I'm the only one having this problem, but much as I would like to have a working milk/cheese industry, I simply forget to milk my animals all the time. I guess it's not a problem when you have enough of milkable animals to sustain a permanent "Milk Creature R" task for (at least one) Farmer's Workshop, but until then it goes like this:

me: "Milk Creature R"
Urist McMilker cancels the job: no milkable creature
me: "Shit, ok, have to wait. Let's see what I can do meanwhile... Oops, a year has passed".
Completely ineffective. And how often can I milk an animal anyway?

Same goes for shearing. Perhaps, that's when I need to use manager screen? Don't use it at all, to be honest.

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Organized milking/shearing?
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2013, 01:59:48 pm »

best thing you can do is just occasionally (once per season i suppose) queue up some milk and shear jobs and set them to repeat.  Using the manager won't really help (although its great for a number of reasons).  DFHack has some feature that helps with workflow management, like auto-queueing certain jobs under certain conditions, but I don't know how you would go about doing that.
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

jwest23

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2013, 02:27:20 pm »

Unfortunately, milking and shearing don't seem to work with dfhack's workflow.  Or, if it does, I welcome correction.

moondowner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2013, 02:38:45 pm »

I can't see why such jobs as milking and shearing aren't set to automatic (similar to tan a hide, render fat, etc.) It would really make sense, at least IRL you have to milk an animal once in a while.

Miriage

• Bay Watcher
  • Insane Dwarf.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2013, 11:02:38 pm »

I can't see why such jobs as milking and shearing aren't set to automatic (similar to tan a hide, render fat, etc.) It would really make sense, at least IRL you have to milk an animal once in a while.
I would hate if it was automatic because I would be stuck with a heap of buckets that are useless and end up doing more work emptying the buckets then if I was actually milking animals.
Don't listen to a word I say, I am completely insane.
Does that mean you shouldn't listen to my pervious sentence and infact listen to everything I say?

Stargazer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2013, 12:14:57 am »

Which is why you'd turn off auto-milking, just like you can turn off auto-weaving and whatnot.

Miriage

• Bay Watcher
  • Insane Dwarf.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2013, 12:42:17 am »

Nope same thng would happen as my loom, I wonder why random dwarves are running around getting killed in the caverns. I always forget to turn auto-stuff off.
Don't listen to a word I say, I am completely insane.
Does that mean you shouldn't listen to my pervious sentence and infact listen to everything I say?

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2013, 09:51:54 am »

I would hate if it was automatic because I would be stuck with a heap of buckets that are useless and end up doing more work emptying the buckets then if I was actually milking animals.

I dunno.  You can fit like 100 milk into a bucketbarrel.  That would be cool.  Auto-milking would be a nice option.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2013, 09:54:41 am by slothen »
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku