Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Good handheld/console games?  (Read 1261 times)

Baneling

• Bay Watcher
  • Acid Balloon
    • View Profile
Good handheld/console games?
« on: April 24, 2013, 11:45:35 am »

I've been having difficulty with this - trying to find games for handheld(not PSP or variants thereof) or earlier consoles to play. Would anybody happen to have any suggestions? I'm not a great fan of puzzle games or fighting games, but apart from that I'm open for pretty much anything.
I tend to be a stupid person. Expect me to say/do stupid things and we'll probably get along better!

majikero

• Bay Watcher
  • Poi~
    • View Profile
Re: Good handheld/console games?
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2013, 11:49:57 am »

What handheld do you even have for starters?

Baneling

• Bay Watcher
  • Acid Balloon
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2013, 11:51:58 am »

Assume I have access to anything except PSP and variants thereof. Also, not just handhelds - older consoles like S/NES and N64 are open too.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2013, 11:58:11 am by Baneling »
I tend to be a stupid person. Expect me to say/do stupid things and we'll probably get along better!

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2013, 11:59:51 am »

Pick a console. Look for top ten lists anywhere but at major reviewing sites. You're probably good to go.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2013, 12:09:56 pm »

A great deal of the stuff on this list is pretty solid. Generally, if someone's bothered to invest the time into translating a game, the game has some sort of redeeming quality. Exceptions usually being either lulz or practice.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Baneling

• Bay Watcher
  • Acid Balloon
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2013, 12:28:43 pm »

I'd be good to go if all I wanted to play was 10 different versions of pokemon... :(

I'm not even joking. First couple of examples for "DS top ten list" include things like gamefaqs, which has a DS top ten of /seven/ pokemon games. I have played enough pokemon.

Other examples are full of puzzle games because that's a lot of what DS games are.

NINJAEDIT: Thanks, Frumple.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2013, 12:36:26 pm »

Actually, grabbing the most recent 'combo' pokemon isn't a terrible idea.  IE, Red and Blue, then they combined with Yellow, so get Yellow.  Or whatever is most recent.

Also, Fire Emblem.  There's... three games on Gameboy Advanced (DS will play them) and they're all incredibly decent.

N64?  If you can find it, Robotron64.  God damn is that an awesome one...

I can't say much for RPG, but I own Skies of Arcadia (Gamecube/Dreamcast), Tales of Symphonia (Gamecube) and Legend of Legia (PS1) and they're all very good.  Of course finding a PS1 game is nigh impossible, so there's always emulators, but that kinda defeats the point.

I keep wanting to get Shadow of the Colossus for PS2, but never get around to it.  It's also for PS3 in an Iko bundle.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2013, 12:50:27 pm »

Of course finding a PS1 game is nigh impossible, so there's always emulators, but that kinda defeats the point.

Not portable except on the PSP. Also common on amazon.

First couple of examples for "DS top ten list" include things like gamefaqs, which has a DS top ten of /seven/ pokemon games. I have played enough pokemon.

Gamefaqs is a review site of sorts and a pretty major one in the form of Gamespot. Rom sites often have top downloaded lists.

FF Tactics is pretty good for turn based. Ogre Battle is often at the forefront of that genre. Zelda for RPG/Adventure. Harvest Moon and its offshoot. Conkers Bad Fur Day, Super Mario, Paper Mario, Star Fox, Golden Sun.

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2013, 01:18:19 pm »

Metroid Fusion
Metroid Zero Mission
Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow
Ninja Cop

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2013, 02:30:15 pm »

Perfect Dark and Star Fox 64, both on N64. Probably my two favorite games on the entire system. Massive amount of content in both of them, plenty of reasons to keep you playing after you're done (not even counting multiplayer, which is excellent in both cases). If you can take five minutes to get over PD's dated controls, you'll have tons of fun.

I also have a strong belief that everybody who owns an NES should play Shatterhand. I have found nothing bad to say that game since I found it a year ago.

This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Baneling

• Bay Watcher
  • Acid Balloon
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2013, 02:35:19 pm »

Thanks for the suggestions, guys - I'll be sure to look them up. This should keep me going for quite a while.

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2013, 02:38:06 pm »

All the Castlevania's for handhelds are fun.  Even the bad ones are fun.  I also really enjoyed "Ghost Trick", although I guess that would be classed as a puzzle game.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2013, 02:44:22 pm by Levi »
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2013, 02:41:54 pm »

want a pretty darn hard 3d space shooter with loads of different weapons and ships, look at R-Type Final for PS2
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2013, 05:00:42 pm »

Kirby games are fun. GameBoy series.

Jet Set Radio (Dreamcast) and Jet Set Radio Future (Xbox); the former is available now on other systems, including PC.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2013, 01:20:28 am »

I have to plug the Golden Sun games for game boy advance and DS. They're Jrpg's with a tiny bit of pokemon hunting and zelda-like puzzles. The class system is fun and there's room for a decent variety of combat tactics. Golden Sun and The Lost Age were the best, but they're basically two halves of the same game, so be warned going in. Dark Dawn was good, but a bit on the easy side and not AS good as the first two. Still worth a play, I thought.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.