Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 25

Author Topic: National LCS Revisited (4.07.4 Beta Release!)  (Read 107193 times)

DwarfOfTheLand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: National LCS Revisited (4.07.3 Beta Release!)
« Reply #210 on: July 20, 2013, 11:08:21 pm »

Okay. So, you know how there are thousands of shops in real life? And if you wanted, you could rob them. (Not saying you should.)

Well, I think that there should be more shops, along with interactions for the shops.

Different Shop Types
Pawn Shop (already included)
First Aid / Pharmacy
Super-Stores
General Store
Electronics Store
Hardware Store
Cafe

Shop Interactions/Activities
Rob the Store
Hold a Conservative Hostage
You should also be able to just go in and buy things, or go in and steal things, like when you break into a place.

That's my take on it so far. There should be a variety of different shops in different cities, too. Not just the same, generic ones in each one. Not saying there are now. But, you get it, right?
¤MASTERWORK¤ Dwarf Fortress - V.3 -
 - A comprehensive mod pack with 25% higher FPS -

Equinox

• Bay Watcher
  • The end is near for us all.
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: July 21, 2013, 04:44:39 am »

Okay. So, you know how there are thousands of shops in real life? And if you wanted, you could rob them. (Not saying you should.)

Well, I think that there should be more shops, along with interactions for the shops.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

It could be a nice idea if you actually had to steal health kits/first aid from the pharmacy before actually being able to heal your liberals. Kinda like how you get cheaper clothing production if you have cloth (or whatever it is). Also could potentially be used for other things as well.
"They say the flapping wings of a single butterfly can stir a wind on the other side of the world. Ever wonder what impact your little bat wings have on this world?"

usr_share

• Bay Watcher
  • "For great justice!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: July 22, 2013, 12:54:46 pm »

I'm all for being able to attack shops. Say, the heavily-armed and skilled LCS raids a pawn/gun shop, stealing everything in the process. It closes for a long time (~6 months or even a year), making it impossible for both the LCS and the CCS to get more guns and ammo (as well as sell loot). Thus attacking the CCS will become significantly easier, as they'll be unable to get better weapons.

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: July 22, 2013, 12:58:56 pm »

Why raid the gun shops when you can raid the gun suppliers and manufacturers? Maybe at certain C and C+ levels, some of the generic factories become gun makers, giving both groups a direct supply of weapons.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: July 22, 2013, 01:37:29 pm »

Why raid the gun shops when you can raid the gun suppliers and manufacturers? Maybe at certain C and C+ levels, some of the generic factories become gun makers, giving both groups a direct supply of weapons.

That would be pretty cool, actually.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Nachodsk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: July 24, 2013, 12:45:17 pm »

I know this sounds paradoxical, but in a future we could have our own businesses?

Selling stuff, you know.. for the greater good of our liberal movement!

Capital Fish

• Bay Watcher
  • "Hi Mister Dog!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: July 24, 2013, 02:37:39 pm »

I know this sounds paradoxical, but in a future we could have our own businesses?

Selling stuff, you know.. for the greater good of our liberal movement!

Sounds fun. Why sell brownies on the street, when we can have our own bakery?
Find the errors in the above post and win a prize!

Liberal Elitist

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm more liberal than you are!
    • View Profile
    • The Liberal Crime Squad wiki
« Reply #217 on: July 26, 2013, 08:58:51 am »

You should add a Nuclear Button and Red Phone to the Oval Office of the White House, so that the Liberal Crime Squad can start a nuclear war with Russia. Here is how it would work:

1) You'd need someone heavily armed inside the Oval Office to take the President hostage.
2) You'd go over to the Nuclear Button and order the President to enter in the nuclear launch codes or else get his brains blown out.
3) After the President complies and enters the nuclear launch codes into the Nuclear Button and presses it, you'd have a choice between either having the Liberal Crime Squad call up the Russians on the Red Phone and take credit for starting a nuclear war, or you could force the President at gunpoint to call up the Russians on the Red Phone and take credit for it himself (both of which would have very different effects on public opinion).
4) After you do this, you would need to quickly escape the White House and Washington, D.C. before the nuclear weapons land, and get to another city instead (both Moscow and Washington, D.C. would be leveled, but the rest of the United States and Russia would remain unharmed).
5) After this, the President, V.P., Congress, and Supreme Court would all be dead (with any survivors being killed off by the military as it takes power in a coup), and the military would take over the United States for a temporary right-wing military dictatorship, which would last until November of the following year, and during that time, none of the vacancies in Congress or the Supreme Court or anything would be filled, it would be a right-wing military dictatorship, in which criticism of the government (the Free Speech issue) would be illegal, at the Arch-Conservative point on that issue, along with Military Spending, the Death Penalty, Police Regulation, Human Rights, Gun Control, and Flag Burning being Arch-Conservative too. Other issues would remain unchanged while the military junta is in charge, since it would not care about other issues at all and just keep the status quo with them.
6) In November of the following year, Washington, D.C. would finish being rebuilt, with the radiation levels down to the normal range, and new elections would be held for President, V.P., and all 535 members of Congress. They would all take office immediately, and the military would revert to being under civilian control. In addition, all the vacancies on the Supreme Court would be filled at this time, nominated by the new President and confirmed by the new Senate.
7) At this point, everything would be back to normal again.
The Liberal Crime Squad wiki is your friend.

Quote from: Lielac
Edit: Figured it out via a little bit of trial and error and oH MY GOD WHAT IS THIS MUSIC WHAT IS THIS MUSIC WHAT THE HECK IS IT SPACEBALLS MUSIC? WHATEVER IT IS IT IS MAGICAL

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: July 26, 2013, 10:37:28 am »

I think we should take these suggestions to their own thread. This thread is about the new testing release, not suggestions.

Liberal Elitist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: July 29, 2013, 01:22:49 pm »

I think we should take these suggestions to their own thread. This thread is about the new testing release, not suggestions.

I put the bit about the nuclear button in this thread because the White House and President and Secret Service are new additions to this beta release, and aren't quite fully implemented yet. The last stable release of the game doesn't even HAVE a White House or President or Secret Service so my feature suggestion wouldn't make any sense in that context. Anyway the nuclear button doesn't need to be QUITE as complicated as I said in the last post, it could just be similar to pressing the big red button at the nuclear power plant and causing a meltdown. It could just cause some kind of incident that gets in the newspaper and generates lots of publicity but doesn't actually result in a nuclear war, if you want to make it more modest. But yes, sorry about posting it in this thread.

Anyway, the CEO (who lives in the CEO residence) and the President (in the White House) both have a bug in this game in version 4.07.3 beta, namely their names. Their names seem to be a really long series of line-drawing characters, at least if you encounter them in person where they live (the President's name DOES show up correctly on things like the "L" screen for Status of the Liberal Agenda, or election results, or when the President signs or vetoes bills). And my usual tactic of seducing and then kidnapping doesn't work for some reason when used on the CEO or President (but it does work on other high-level Conservatives). I think it has to do with those 2 being handled differently than everyone else in the game's code. Oh, and I was playing in single-city mode (which includes the option to travel to the White House for $100), in case that matters.

Also, just an FYI, according to the Constitution, you have to be 35 years or older to be President. So, I'm not sure if you implement that in the code or not, but you can see character's ages (at least in a rough range). So the President should have a minimum age of 35 and a maximum of, I would guess, maybe 75, when they first take office. And the game can keep track of the President's age as one of the stats (i.e., a President who has spent 7 years in office has to be at least 42 years old). And the age requirement of 35 in the Constitution ALSO applies to the Vice President. So if you serve as Vice President for 8 years and then run for President, your age would be, at minimum, 43. Now if the Vice President ends up super-old, like above 75 years old after being in office 8 years, then realistically, they would not be a major-party Presidential candidate after 8 years, instead it would be a Governor or Senator or something.

Oh, and your implementation of the Senate lacks a filibuster. Things need 60 votes to pass the Senate, in the real world. Anything in the range from 50+V.P. to 59 would have a majority but lose because of not meeting the 60-vote filibuster-proof majority margin, so anything in that range should say *FILIBUSTERED* for its status on the screen where you see what happens to bills trying to become law, and then fail to become law.

Edit: Figured it out via a little bit of trial and error and oH MY GOD WHAT IS THIS MUSIC WHAT IS THIS MUSIC WHAT THE HECK IS IT SPACEBALLS MUSIC? WHATEVER IT IS IT IS MAGICAL

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: July 31, 2013, 02:22:02 am »

Man this sounds fucking cool, it's been a while since I've played LCS but I'm getting the itch. After I'm done moving I'm in.

Liberal Elitist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: July 31, 2013, 06:00:27 pm »

Man this sounds fucking cool, it's been a while since I've played LCS but I'm getting the itch. After I'm done moving I'm in.

I got the itch to compile and build it for myself, since it seems the bugs relating to the Corporate CEO and President have been fixed between version 4.07.3 beta (revision 690) and the current revision (revision 693). So I did that, and revision 693 definitely works better. I had to make a few changes to get the thing to compile and build properly in the Code::Blocks IDE (read about it here if you want to compile and build the game yourself). I am hoping those changes get incorporated into the project in the next revision so that other people can benefit from them and have an easier time compiling and building the game. I only have read access to the project on SourceForge so I can't update it myself, I need someone else to update it with the changes I posted in that thread.

Also, I am experimenting with various changes to the source code and the game, now that I am able to compile and build it. I'm not going to divulge any information about any of that yet, because none of it is quite ready for prime time yet, I am just in the early stages of experimentation. I have a LOT of ideas (not just the nuclear button thing I suggested earlier), and fairly good coding skills. If I come up with anything good and get it working, I'll let y'all know about it after I'm done and it's working. Anyway, no point in me making any more feature requests, now that I've figured out how to implement stuff in the code myself... now the challenge is going to be seeing whether I can actually implement anything good and get it approved by the main developers and included in the main Liberal Crime Squad project. So far, the fixes I made to get it to compile and build correctly in Code::Blocks haven't been incorporated back into the main project yet, so I'm not sure if my contributions will be accepted or not, I sure hope so. Anyway, now that I'm able to code features rather than just request them from other people, I figure it might work better to code the features I want myself and then ask for them to be incorporated into the code, rather than just ask someone else to implement it in the code. Oh yeah, and I might also implement features other people are asking for on the forums, although, again, I only have read access to the SourceForge project, so any changes I make to the code, I'd post here on the forums and then one of the main developers would have to incorporate them into the project. I'm not promising anything, though. First I want to see whether my fixes to get it to compile in Code::Blocks get accepted into the main project or not. And by the way, my username on SourceForge is "yetisyny", in case I ever become an official member of the project, although you'll probably want to see a bunch more contributions from me than just these fixes for Code::Blocks before you give me direct access to the project, that's understandable.

usr_share

• Bay Watcher
  • "For great justice!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: August 05, 2013, 05:55:04 am »

Looks like I've encountered a bug.

A liberal encounters a few hippies in the Seattle Vegan Co-Op, arranges meetings with them, then moves to Washington, DC -- without losing contact with them. Even more importantly, when they join the LCS, they move to the Homeless Shelter in DC.

Liberal Elitist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: August 08, 2013, 12:51:55 am »

Liberal Crime Squad Revision 724 is out, with MANY bugs fixed and things enhanced since 4.07.3a (revision 690):

https://sourceforge.net/p/lcsgame/code/HEAD/

If you want to download and play it, go to https://sourceforge.net/p/lcsgame/code/HEAD/tarball to download it as a .zip file. Create a new empty directory somewhere. Extract the "init.txt" file, the "art" directory, the "pdcurses.dll" from the "workspaces" directory, and the "crimesquad.exe" file from the "workspaces\Release" directory all into that same directory. Now you can play Liberal Crime Squad SVN revision 724! The debug version of the game is "crimesquad.exe" file from the "workspaces\Debug" directory, just in case you want to play it instead (it has a bigger file size and runs slower, but it is much better for debugging). Unlike Jonathan S. Fox's releases, which are compiled using Microsoft Visual C++, I compiled this using TDM-GCC 4.7.1, the compiler that comes with the Code::Blocks 12.11 IDE for Windows. Liberal Crime Squad is compatible with both compilers so there shouldn't be any problems. The very large file size of the debug version is because it's from a different compiler. Anyway, the release version is VERY fast, it's what I play.

It has MANY bugs fixed and enhancements, by the way.

A liberal encounters a few hippies in the Seattle Vegan Co-Op, arranges meetings with them, then moves to Washington, DC -- without losing contact with them. Even more importantly, when they join the LCS, they move to the Homeless Shelter in DC.

For instance, that bug that you just mentioned is one of many that has been fixed. Why? Because you mentioned it on this forum, I read your post, I tracked down the code where that bug was, I fixed it, then I tested the fix to make sure it worked. Just one of many that's been fixed. Earlier I was mostly fixing bugs I came across personally. But now I've switched to fixing bugs I read about on the forums. Not entirely, though, I still come up with things to fix or enhance on my own, mostly little things.

Enjoy!
« Last Edit: September 13, 2013, 06:49:36 pm by Liberal Elitist »

tahujdt

• Bay Watcher
  • The token conservative
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: August 08, 2013, 08:38:57 pm »

Liberal Crime Squad Revision 700 is out, with many bugs fixed and things enhanced since 4.07.3a (revision 690):

https://sourceforge.net/p/lcsgame/code/700/

If you want to download and play it, go to https://sourceforge.net/p/lcsgame/code/700/tarball to download it as a .zip file. Create a new empty directory somewhere. Extract the "init.txt" file, the "art" directory, the "pdcurses.dll" from the "workspaces" directory, and the "crimesquad.exe" file from the "workspaces\Release" directory all into that same directory. Now you can play Liberal Crime Squad SVN revision 700! The debug version of the game is "crimesquad.exe" file from the "workspaces\Debug" directory, just in case you want to play it instead (it has a bigger file size and runs slower, but it is much better for debugging). Unlike Jonathan S. Fox's releases, which are compiled using Microsoft Visual C++, I compiled this using TDM-GCC 4.7.1, the compiler that comes with the Code::Blocks 12.11 IDE for Windows. Liberal Crime Squad is compatible with both compilers so there shouldn't be any problems. The very large file size of the debug version is because it's from a different compiler. Anyway, the release version is VERY fast, it's what I play. There's also a new option in the "init.txt" file for people to play with. Try seeing what happens when you uncomment the line in "init.txt" that says "#random=On" (remove the "#" at the beginning of that line), and doing this with savegames that you back up and restore. Very different Random Number Generator behavior than when that line is commented out... I would be interested in any feedback on this new option.

It has many bugs fixed and enhancements, by the way.

For instance, that bug that you just mentioned is one of many that has been fixed. Why? Because you mentioned it on this forum, I read your post, I tracked down the code where that bug was, I fixed it, then I tested the fix to make sure it worked. Just one of many that's been fixed. Earlier I was mostly fixing bugs I came across personally. But now I've switched to fixing bugs I read about on the forums. Not entirely, though, I still come up with things to fix or enhance on my own, mostly little things.

Enjoy!
When I read this, the first thing I thought was it was a spambot that latches on to anything mentioning bugs. Anyways, thanks for the fix. Gotta wonder what JSF is up to right now.
DFBT the Dwarf: The only community podcast for Dwarf Fortress!
Tahu-R-TOA-1, Troubleshooter
I suggest that we add a clause permitting the keelhauling of anyone who suggests a plan involving "zombify the crew".
Quote from: MNII
Friend Computer, can you repair the known universe, please?
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 25