Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7

Author Topic: Ancient Games Thread: Let Us Revel In Nostalgia  (Read 7878 times)

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
Re: Ancient Games Thread: Let Us Revel In Nostalgia
« Reply #30 on: April 23, 2013, 12:54:02 pm »

I remember playing Bushido Blade when I was a child. After a long while, family took out the NES, and I watched my brother play an assortment of games like Battle City, Karateka and Super Mario Bros. 3, which I was absolutely enamored with.

In a few months or so, I tried SMB3, and was unable to get rid of the controller from my hands. :P

Then we bought a dreamcast, with Sonic Adventure 1 (there was no 2 yet), Shenmue and Phantasy Star Online.

Oh the joys to be had...
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 23, 2013, 01:03:09 pm »

Besides Mario, Karnov, and various other NES games, I remember playing EGA Trek and Tactical Battle Simulator. When Windows came along, I often watched my dad playing Civilization and then Civilization II, my first experience with Lets Plays, though I wouldn't know it until I was much older.
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 23, 2013, 01:23:57 pm »

Did anyone else have the track-mat thing for the NES, with that track and field game? That was... something else all right.

jhxmt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 23, 2013, 02:29:38 pm »

Snare by Thalamus Software on the C64.  God, the music just facepunched me back twenty four years.

Later on, the original Space Quest series of games (I started on number 3, then went back to 2, then 1, then 4, then 5, then 1 VGA, then 6).  Le sigh.

Also Monkey Island, obviously, but I think that's probably too well-known to spark a huge amount of nostalgia.   :P
Quote from: beefsupreme
Try slaughtering a ton of animals, meat makes less decisions than animals.

Why Your Ramps Don't Work
How To Breach A Volcano Safely

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 23, 2013, 03:23:31 pm »

Pikmin 2 for the Gamecube. To this day I still can't beat it.
Dude, I graduated high school the year that this came out. No, no, not the second one, the first Pikmin.

Did anyone else have the track-mat thing for the NES, with that track and field game? That was... something else all right.
Yes. We wore out both that and the Power Glove. Super Team Games was awesome.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Dohon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 23, 2013, 03:27:44 pm »

Settlers 2 and Tie Fighter. I played the first Prince of Persia as well, same for the first ever Mario game. I was but a wee lad then, but those were my first games ever.

Nostalgia is bliss.
Quote from: Lolfail0009
Quote from: GuesssWho
Also, why is there a stray hen having a tantrum?
CLUCK CLUCK MOTHERF***ER

Brotato

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Destroyer of Threads!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 23, 2013, 03:36:47 pm »

My dad bought my brothers and I a playstation when I was five.  One of the first games we had for it was this Power Rangers videogame.  My little brother was absolutely obsessed with Power Rangers, so you can imagine how much we played that together.  My older brother liked playing the racing game we had, so he made spin my car around and crash into the competition so he could win.

Aaahh, those were the good, old days.  8)
Dwarf Fortress: The only game where people will hold a logical discussion about why dwarves are putting on clothes.
OK, I have to reload the save.
There was a bit of a problem regarding flashfreezing, a ballistae, and a barrel of dwarven ale. Gonna fix it up.

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 23, 2013, 04:14:11 pm »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1HE_HouH6bU

Here's another fun thing from my childhood.

Basically several NES games crammed into one cartridge
Battle City, Mario (i have no idea which mario game was it to this very day), Contra, ETC along with "mods" (For example starting with the 3 way gun in contra, always spawning as a better tank in Battle city. mario jumping ridiculously high ETC).

Pretty much the ONLY cartridge you EVER needed.
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

Shakerag

• Bay Watcher
  • Just here for the schadenfreude.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 23, 2013, 04:43:14 pm »

When I was a kid, this was the most badass game ever (to me). 

I know I had a C64 and a Colecovision, but I'll be damned if I can remember what games I had for them. 

I remember playing Combat on the Atari 2600 with my cousin for hours.  It had 27 different game modes! 

This is an interesting timeline reference.  And educational, for all you whippersnappers.
http://www.gamefaqs.com/systems.html

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 23, 2013, 04:50:31 pm »

When I was a kid, this was the most badass game ever (to me). 
My parents still have that game! I have never beaten it on a difficulty level higher than Captain/Trigger.

Edit: Content.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

jhxmt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 23, 2013, 04:50:42 pm »

This is an interesting timeline reference.  And educational, for all you whippersnappers.
http://www.gamefaqs.com/systems.html

I wonder why 'PC' only appears in 'Currently Active', and not in every generation since...well, the first, I guess, by some interpretations.  :P  And I'm irked by 'PC', a type of machine, being represented by the logo for Windows, a type of software.  That's not a picture of what you're describing, GameFAQs!.  Ah well.

I think the only generation I never owned a machine from was the first (discounting PC).  Huh.
Quote from: beefsupreme
Try slaughtering a ton of animals, meat makes less decisions than animals.

Why Your Ramps Don't Work
How To Breach A Volcano Safely

Bien

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 23, 2013, 07:49:55 pm »

I remember playing Rebel Moon, Turok, and Machines when I was a kid.
Then there's also this: http://www.dracova.com/hellfighter/

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 23, 2013, 08:32:35 pm »

The first game I ever played was either the original Final Fantasy or Super Mario Bros. This was before I could read(and my memory has deteriorated since), but it was definitely one of those. According to my mom, I had a habit of throwing Mario into pits, until I figured out it was more fun to try and beat the game.

Thinking of the NES does bring me back to some classics.  ...And that goddamned orange screen and the million attempts to fix it, which eventually led to bugging out one of the saves on my Ultima IV cartridge, causing Missingno-like character sprites with massive levels and glitched amounts of gold.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 23, 2013, 08:41:58 pm »

Good to see TIE Fighter mentioned, best arcade-style flight sim ever made.  God I wish it worked in operating systems more advanced than Windows 95.

Most entertaining game I had as a little kid besides the headliners was Iron Tank, a Japanese-hard NES scrolling-shooter that my dad and I sunk countless hours into and never got more than about halfway through.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 23, 2013, 08:45:44 pm »

Duck hunt/SMB mix cart on the NES. Think that was my first. I nostalgia harder over Odell Lake, though. Played it somewhere around the same time frame. Edutainment can be fun!

Then... gods, there's lots of other stuff, I'unno. At this point I've at least played (if not beat) pretty much every RPG/SRPG (That's translated, anyway... and a fair chunk that haven't been.) on the SNES, Sega Genesis, and PSX, and most of the ones that are in english on the NES. Younger times were much more spotty, though. Shining Force, Ogre Battle... Dragon Warrior somewhere in there, more I can't even remember off the top of my head. Robotrek! Buncha' stuff. Don't really nostalgia over much of it, though. Still go back and play them :P Some age pretty well, some less so. S'all good, though.

Then I found desktop computer, shortly thereafter the internet started maturing as browsers go... emulation started popping up. Lots of fun stuff.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7