Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Capturing a human diplomat to farm his silk  (Read 1570 times)

Blue_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Capturing a human diplomat to farm his silk
« on: April 23, 2013, 01:49:26 am »

Last human caravan has brought with it a demonic "human" diplomat. I didn't think much of it, until it had to leave and ran into some undead. Turns out it could spit silk webs, which were probably farmable. Unfortunately it left before I could capture it.

So, maybe next summer I'll get another one :) How does one go about capturing it?

My embark is an undead biome. One thought that crossed my mind was killing it somehow, and letting it reanimate, hoping it would become an immortal undead silk shooter. I'm thinking, civilians run past it, get scared and run away while it spits silk everywhere that I can gather.
Crafting Statistics 42.06Farming Statistics

Blue Dwarf has been happy lately. He did some !!science!! recently. He admired a fine forum post lately. He was enraged by a forum troll recently. He was upset by the delayed release of the new version of Dwarf Fortress lately. He took joy in planning a noble's death recently.

Lav

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Capturing a human diplomat to farm his silk
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2013, 01:59:16 am »

Maybe humans can offer Demonic Diplomat's Silk in their trade agreements?

Capturing diplomat should not be difficult. Try walking him through a retracting bridge with cage traps below. Fall should knock him out long enough to be trapped.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2013, 02:02:40 am by Lav »
Seems to be the way with things on this forum; if an invention doesn't involve death by magma then you know someone's going to go out of their way to make sure it does involve death by magma... then it gets acknowledged as being a great invention.

Astrid

• Bay Watcher
  • This is a text.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2013, 04:14:23 am »

As far as i know undead loose their special ability, ergo, once he's undead he cannot spit silk anymore.
Dunno if that's still the case.

fractalman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2013, 04:28:09 am »

I know that undead continue to use tags like trapavoid and possibly flier...
best to drop him a short distance onto some cage traps.  Few things are more annoying/FUN than a webspinner/other major threat reanimating two frames after you killed it...
This is a masterwork ledger.  It contains 3719356 pages on the topic of the precise number and location of stones in Spindlybrooks.  In the text, the dwarves are hauling.
"And here is where we get the undead unicorns. Stop looking at me that way, you should have seen the zombie deer running around last week!"

Fenrisson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2013, 04:35:59 am »

Consider what you learned from this - there are clowns in your world with the ability to spin silk - ergo there is THE FUN-WAY to get a couple of this clown-species in stock ;)

hint: they can be found in all biomes

Geldrin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2013, 07:47:45 am »

Regarding this bridge-drop cage trapping method; how does it works against trap-avoid creatures?
I already know that the webbed cages can catch everything, but is it possible to use this method as a "low budget" everything-trap?

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2013, 07:57:58 am »

Bridge-drop won't work against a demon. The bridge won't operate when under him. Supports, on the other hand, allow you to drop a whole piece of constructed floor he's on.
"Fools dig for water, corpses, or gold. The earth's real treasure is far deeper."

Geldrin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2013, 08:24:11 am »

Hmm, all right then, it seems i have to stay with the GCS method.

I think It will neither work on creatures who are immune to be knocked out...

Thanks in advance, Tirion.

Blue_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2013, 08:42:55 am »

Next caravan brought a regular diplomat :(

I even tried to save-scum a little, his name was different every time, but he remained human. Bummer.
Crafting Statistics 42.06Farming Statistics

Blue Dwarf has been happy lately. He did some !!science!! recently. He admired a fine forum post lately. He was enraged by a forum troll recently. He was upset by the delayed release of the new version of Dwarf Fortress lately. He took joy in planning a noble's death recently.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2013, 09:41:56 am »

Demonic diplomats are generally _the_ human law-giver. AFAIK, they'll only visit once, and there's only the one. Sorry, but it's a one-shot opportunity.

It might be possible to get some effect out of triggering a cave-in next to a demon - unless their girth or demonicness somehow prevents them from getting hurled around. With a diplomat, you'd also have the choice of detaining them (probably by walling them off somehow) after they finished their diplomatic business and wait for them to go insane. A berserk demonic diplomat should happily provide all the silk you want. A stark raving or melancholic one would be a lot less useful, though.

If a demon diplomat shows up, it's always a good idea to check the creature description right away; demons usually have some Forgotten-Beast grade property, which is explicitly mentioned in the description ("Beware its [special feature]!"). If it's a poisonous sting, bite or blood, it's typically quite harmless; if it's fire, you better make sure they don't run into anything hostile while in your fort; if it's noxious secretions/dust/other overkill contaminant, lock them out until you can lure them into a place where you can hit them with a cave-in or repeating spikes. And if they spin webs, try your best to keep them.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2013, 01:24:42 pm »

I think you were the victim of the bug where any given being can only arrive once to the fortress map, because once it arrives it gets scrubbed out of existence by the game?
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2013, 01:49:10 pm »

Of note is the fcat that FB and demon silk has minimal value, so clothes made out of it will be cool, but valueless when compared to more orthadox silks.
This is a blank sig.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2013, 03:02:20 pm »

Webbing demons and FB's cannot be captured in cage traps in vanilla due to the fact that they are both immune to webs and have [NO_STUN]. The only way to capture them is to lure them into your desired area and trap them there by either building walls or raising bridges. With normal demons/FBs this is usually accomplished through a bunch of buildings to knock down, but with a diplomat you might need to get creative.

And yeah, right now any official that visits your map loses their titles as soon as they leave, which is why they didn't show up again.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

zzedar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2013, 03:32:42 pm »

One thought that crossed my mind was killing it somehow, and letting it reanimate, hoping it would become an immortal undead silk shooter.
Can clowns become undead? I looked at the generated raws for my current world, and all the demons had NOT_LIVING, so I think they can't be raised.

Consider what you learned from this - there are clowns in your world with the ability to spin silk
It's easy to discover what randomly generated creatures are webbers. Just check the custom settings for silk stockpiles; it'll have a list of every possible kind of silk, so there'll be entries for, e.g.,  "brine demon silk thread".

Hmm, all right then, it seems i have to stay with the GCS method.
If you already have a GCS, what do you want with the web demon? (Also, as i2amroy pointed out, webbers are themselves WEBIMMUNE).
kingubu cancels Efficiency: Taken by mood
Project Whalegun is a go. Load the whale cannon!