Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Might & Magic X  (Read 3564 times)

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
Re: Might & Magic X
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2013, 06:17:19 pm »

Well they were part of the same world more or less till the forge drama in HoMM3.
I have no idea what happened after that.

Mediocrity of ideas, I think. Although in its defense, HoMM5 was still pretty decent. But it definitely lost a lot of the appeal of random wandering heroes exploring and finding stuff.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2013, 06:19:57 pm »

@nenjin
They had the same world up to some point but the gameplay between the Heroes of Might&Magic serie and the Might&Magic serie was and still is completely different.

to me the best games in the M&M serie were World of Xeen (combo of Might&Magic 4 and 5) , Might&Magic 6 (that i think is still the best of them) and Might&Magic 7
For the HoMM serie, Heroes of Might&Magic 2 and 3 were without contest the best, 3 being the pinnacle of the serie to me, so much i still play it regularly after all those years.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2013, 06:23:52 pm by Robsoie »

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2013, 06:29:55 pm »

They had the same world up to some point but the gameplay between the Heroes of Might&Magic serie and the Might&Magic serie was and still is completely different.

I'm going to disagree. You have heroes, cities that produce units, random crap laying around the world like Gold or Experience, Magic items. Going into and out of the cave layer. You fight in turn-based grid battles. Identical? No. Cut from the same cloth in terms of gameplay? Absolutely, to me.

What was it you disliked about M&M6? It's generally regarded as one of the better entries in the series.

Compared to my last Heroes of M&M experience, it felt like it was on a railroad, even comparing the campaigns. There wasn't exploration and rewards for exploration, there were pellets on a pre-determined path. (Ooo piece of candy!) Lots of scripting so someone can blah blah blah at you as you cross a threshold. I remember the way I beat one level was basically destroying all the AI's armies then parking my heroes in a cordon around his last city until I could finish......some other objective. It was like 20 minutes of "is this level over yet? How about now?"

Older HoMM games felt much more like a sandbox even if in truth they weren't. I didn't get that impression from M&M6, everything I was doing felt pre-plotted and pre-determined. Maybe I needed to give it more time....but when I jump straight from the initial chapters to the DLC and feel the exact same degree of restriction......yeah. I feel like 2 to 3 hours is more than enough time for a game and I to get to know each other, and my time with M&M6 left me uninstalling it when I needed space.
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2013, 06:41:57 pm »

I'm going to disagree. You have heroes, cities that produce units, random crap laying around the world like Gold or Experience, Magic items. Going into and out of the cave layer. You fight in turn-based grid battles. Identical? No. Cut from the same cloth in terms of gameplay? Absolutely, to me.

I think you're still mixing the 2 games series (i edited my post with links to wiki so you can see the big difference i am talking about)

There's no unit production in the Might&Magic serie (unlike in the Heroes of Might&Magic one), you create a party and explore the world in 1st person view (turn based pre-MM6 and real time starting with MM6)

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2013, 06:49:12 pm »

Ah right. Might and Magic: Heroes VI.

Nivim

• Bay Watcher
  • Has the asylum forgotten? Are they still the same?
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 10, 2013, 06:53:31 pm »

Ubisoft not only messes up the games, it messes up the naming scheme too.

Edit:@nenjin: Did you already play the high point of the series, Heroes 3 with it's three big parts? It could make up for Heroes 6, at the very least.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2013, 07:00:45 pm by Nivim »
Imagine a cool peice of sky-blue and milk-white marble about 3cm by 2cm and by 0.5cm, containing a tiny 2mm malacolite crystal. Now imagine the miles of metamorphic rock it's embedded in that no pick or chisel will ever touch. Then, imagine that those miles will melt back into their mantle long before any telescope even refracts an image of their planet. The watchers will be so excited to have that image too.

Silfurdreki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 11, 2013, 02:51:03 am »

Interesting, I never knew that there was supposed to be a Forge town in Heroes III. I always wondered why there was no mention of the sci-fi part of the universe in Heroes after I had played M&M VII.

I love M&M VII to bits, it's an amazing game. I remember borrowing it from a friend back in the early 2000's and being shit at it and not being able to get off Emerald Island, mostly due to not knowing much English at all. I like M&M VIII as well, even though it's not as good. The dragons are hilariously broken, for example. On the other hand, though; dragon party members.
Entropy is not what it used to be.

ank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 11, 2013, 03:04:23 am »

So, I played the M&M: X beta, and I can't find any other way to say it:
It's utter crap...
First off they managed to make the graphics worse than in M&M 7... again...
Next it takes place in that god awful Heroes 6 world(is Heroes 5 the same world?)

Then: GRIDS! fucking GRIDS!
Walking around is jerky and takes forever, agro is on a grid distance basis, meaning monsters will be activated around corners, but not when you are fighting their palls that were just one tile closer. Also, you can't attack on diagonals...

Going "Retro" with the tile-based system was a huge mistake, and it should have been obvious, since the glory days of M&M was with the 6'th and 7'th... games that let you move freely.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 11, 2013, 05:00:59 am »

It's strange to see a game that evolved from the ancient DOS era tile-based exploration to real time to finally go back to the old system.

While tile based worked nice at the time (World of Xeen is still fun, i'm replaying it currently), the move to real time was a big success.

That's a big gamble whatever company is making that M&M X is having there, as i'm not sure tile based gameplay is popular enough nowadays in a RPG to attract fans.

Anyways, for fun an encounter with one of my favorite monster in World of Xeen, a member of the Mad Dwarf clan.

Clan that was probably made of Dwarf Fortress survivors after a tantrum spiral :D

I wonder if that M&M X retains the humour of the M&M serie, the usually "serious" heads of your party getting cartoony when under various affliction always made me smile.

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 11, 2013, 11:27:55 am »

This franchise is one big drama.
Where are the days of 3DO, New World Computing and Paul Romero? (afaik not even the musicians ie. Paul Romero, Rob King and Steve Baca are working on the franchise anymore, which is really disheartening)

I know, "Carpe diem", "What's done is done", yada yada.
But I seriously can't stand what Ubisoft is doing with this once beautiful and (relatively) unique universe.

Because let's face it, we have a metric fuckton of generic high-fantasy games.
I want more science-fantasy stuffs. Goblins with blasters! Dragon mechas! Where are those?

(and Shadowrun doesn't really look like my thing, I haven't heard of it until SR Returns.)

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 11, 2013, 12:00:29 pm »

Well that unique universe became kinda inrelevant when HOMM3 armageddons blade came out (that retconned the forge turning the storyline of both series into mush.

HOMM4 seperated the storylines of both series (while still being related with HOMM3).

And HOMM5 finally completely seperated itself from the series story wise by having nothing in common with the progression that started with the first Might and Magic back in the 80's.

Let's face it Might and Magic got overtaken by Heroes and now instead of the Heroes series tagging along with M&M it's M&M that tags along with Heroes... and since fans didn't want HoMM to have sci fi elements... well it was the beginning of the end for sci fi elements in M&M.

In short: Blame the fans.
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

gogis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 11, 2013, 01:00:16 pm »

For people that dont know this is a turn based rpg game similar to Legend of Grimrock but more open world.

This is outrageous. First, Grimrock is a copycat of Eye of Beholder/Dungeon Master games. Second, they going back to what M&M was in 1-5 installments. How the hell you came with Grimrock here? Third, what with all the babbling about Heroes, which is a sidekick from the series and entirely another game?

I am either really old to discuss this seriously, or really dumb  8)
In Soviet Russia cigarette smokes you

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 11, 2013, 01:01:03 pm »

And BESIDES we all know the king of this type of game is the Wizardry series.

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 12, 2013, 09:38:30 am »

I really do hope they pop some more Sci-fi elements into Ashan with M&M X. You don't have to port it to Heroes because it's not mass enough for Heroes to bother. There's only ever four blasters in a game, after all, it seems. Except maybe 7, where you fight those guys in their house.
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

Silfurdreki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 12, 2013, 09:41:36 am »

(and Shadowrun doesn't really look like my thing, I haven't heard of it until SR Returns.)

The Shadowrun lore is awesome, even though Shadowrun Returns is decidedly average. In some sense Shadowrun is an inverted M&M, lore-wise. Were both cookies, Shadowrun would be a chocolate chip one with near-future-sci-fi dough and fantasy chocolate chips while M&M would be a full-fantasy cookie, but hidden in the centre is some sci-fi jam or whatever might be hiding in the centre of cookies.
Entropy is not what it used to be.
Pages: 1 [2] 3