Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Might & Magic X  (Read 3556 times)

ragnar119

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Might & Magic X
« on: April 22, 2013, 03:57:26 pm »

For people that dont know this is a turn based rpg game similar to Legend of Grimrock but more open world.
Official site:
http://might-and-magic.ubi.com/mightandmagicx-legacy/en-US/home/index.aspx

Trailer:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdcZii_r_wo
Gameplay from PAX:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K4IxhUtZlgY

Looks good, can't wait, hope UBI doesn't fuck up something

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
Re: Might & Magic X
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2013, 05:01:22 pm »

Neat. M&M8 was one of my favorite games for a long time.
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2013, 05:39:39 pm »

Hmm... i remember playing several titles from this series.

World of Xeen i got from some abandonware site (probably the worlds first and largest "DL"C title) and i played quite a bit of... uhh... Mandate of Heaven... aaargh i forgot the name.

Anyway a bunch of heroes won a ruined castle and they have to repair it for great justice... and i never played long enough to repair that darn castle (i remember having a dwarven kings skull so i guess i was close before i was distracted by the open world and went... dunno where).

I mst say the experience was enjoyable and deep in spite of the primitive graphics.
Hell i liked the alchemy system and the ability to enchant EVERYTHING you could lay your hands on.
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

Hugehead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2013, 06:27:43 pm »

(probably the worlds first and largest "DL"C title)
Darkside of Xeen was in no way a DLC, in name or in content, it was it's own game that you could link together with Clouds of Xeen, similar to how some modern games let you import characters from the last game in the series except you could switch between the two worlds whenever you wanted. (It occurs to me that you may not have meant DLC in a bad way, but with the stigma attached to DLC on this forum I feel it's a valid point to raise.)

Anyways, it looks good and if they design it like the old ones many people will be quite happy with what they come out with.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2013, 07:20:38 pm by Hugehead »
We're Bay12er's. If there is a bug, we will find it, exploit it, and make a recursive statue out of it. Just look up Planepacked.
When a dwarf enters a martial trance, they become Jedi. Short, drunken Jedi.

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2013, 07:13:56 pm »

(probably the worlds first and largest "DL"C title)
Darkside of Xeen was in no way a DLC, in name or in content, it was it's own game that you could link together with Clouds of Xeen, similar to how some modern games let you import characters from the last game in the series except you could switch between the two worlds whenever you wanted. (It occurs to me that you may not have meant DLC in a bad way, but with the stigma attached to DLC on this forum I feel it's a valid point to raise.)

Anyways, it looks good and if they design it like the old ones may people will be quite happy with what they come out with.

It depends on how you see it.
It was surely more than just "importing" because unlike other games of that time you didn't just copy some dudes stats and name.
Linking was far more intricate... giving acces to otherwise unlockable places, and generally seamlessly weaving DoX into CoX (and vice versa).
And yes of course you COULD play it as a standalone BUT some places would be unreachable and various keys might NEVER find a use.
And yes i meant DLC in a POSITIVE manner.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2013, 07:17:08 pm by Sonlirain »
Self promotion below.

Rhodan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2013, 10:19:03 am »

Anyway a bunch of heroes won a ruined castle and they have to repair it for great justice... and i never played long enough to repair that darn castle (i remember having a dwarven kings skull so i guess i was close before i was distracted by the open world and went... dunno where).

That was Might and Magic VII: For Blood and Honor. I played the carp out of that game. I even beat it a few times, too.

I also have fond memories of World of Xeen, my father used to play it when I was little and I watched over his shoulder.  It came with gorgeous maps that really made you want to explore the world just to see what all those landmarks are all about.  I think I got the entire series on GoG.com.

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2013, 11:21:34 am »

Given such carps like Heroes VI and other changes in the series lately I'm really skeptical about this one being any successful.
So far the switch into 3rd dimension was a setback for the franchise. (pretty sure Heroes V could've been better with 2D graphics)

And turning the scifi-fantasy hybrid universe with some interesting plots into a generic fantasy universe doesn't help, either.

Let's face it - if Might & Magic didn't happen to be, and Heroes V was actually Heroes I, NOBODY would buy that game.

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2013, 01:16:10 pm »

Given such carps like Heroes VI and other changes in the series lately I'm really skeptical about this one being any successful.
So far the switch into 3rd dimension was a setback for the franchise. (pretty sure Heroes V could've been better with 2D graphics)

And turning the scifi-fantasy hybrid universe with some interesting plots into a generic fantasy universe doesn't help, either.

Let's face it - if Might & Magic didn't happen to be, and Heroes V was actually Heroes I, NOBODY would buy that game.

From what i remember they decided to abandon the scifi elements when they fans started a massive outrage over "forge" in HoMM3:AB while most of the scifi elements remained in M&M all they way till the "forge" outrage (meaning all the way till M&M8).

After that we got HoMM4 (that wasn't really bad but very VERY different) and a full reboot when HoMM5 came around (one that eliminated any and all scifi elements for good).
Self promotion below.

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2013, 01:32:53 pm »

From what i remember they decided to abandon the scifi elements when they fans started a massive outrage over "forge" in HoMM3:AB while most of the scifi elements remained in M&M all they way till the "forge" outrage (meaning all the way till M&M8).

After that we got HoMM4 (that wasn't really bad but very VERY different) and a full reboot when HoMM5 came around (one that eliminated any and all scifi elements for good).

They had an April Fool's (Fools' or Fool's?) Joke once when the Forge was supposed to be a faction in H6 as a part of the first expansion (which as we all know is supposed to give us Dungeon now...)

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2013, 05:40:54 pm »

Necroing a bit, but now that we can actually play some new discussion may be had.

Also I never heard of Forge before. Care to refresh my memory?
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2013, 05:59:23 pm »

Necroing a bit, but now that we can actually play some new discussion may be had.

Also I never heard of Forge before. Care to refresh my memory?

It's a bit complicated since the forge is mostly connected with the Might and Magic series (It's barely ever mentioned in Heroes).
Might and Magic had a pretty odd world where hi tech and magic combined.
In fact Enroth was/is an alien colony world... well it's all weird.

Now people didn't want minotaurs on jetpacks and goblins with SMGs in their fantasy games with Angels and Devils duking it out so there was an outrage and Forge got replaced with another town that IMO was made hastily out of already existing creatures (half of it's population already existed in HoMM3 and the other half is more of less the same creature slightely reskinned)

If you want more info on the forge and how it's related with HoMM/M&M then look here.
http://mightandmagic.wikia.com/wiki/Forge_(town)
Self promotion below.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2013, 06:01:31 pm »

After Might and Magic VI, I won't buy another. HoMM 5 was good and I played probably 15 hours of it before I got burnt out making same-y heroes.

M&M6, jesus. I played two chapters and was bored to tears. In going 3d and piling on the eye candy, somehow the game became less interesting. I know campaigns are more structured that one-off games.....but I managed to play and enjoy the HoMM5 campaign for quite a while. M&M6 turned me off almost instantly.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Hugehead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2013, 06:05:09 pm »

After Might and Magic VI, I won't buy another. HoMM 5 was good and I played probably 15 hours of it before I got burnt out making same-y heroes.

M&M6, jesus. I played two chapters and was bored to tears. In going 3d and piling on the eye candy, somehow the game became less interesting. I know campaigns are more structured that one-off games.....but I managed to play and enjoy the HoMM5 campaign for quite a while. M&M6 turned me off almost instantly.
Different series there mate, Heroes of Might and Magic isn't the same as Might and Magic.
We're Bay12er's. If there is a bug, we will find it, exploit it, and make a recursive statue out of it. Just look up Planepacked.
When a dwarf enters a martial trance, they become Jedi. Short, drunken Jedi.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2013, 06:07:53 pm »

According to this wiki article, they're all part of the same family of games. Might and Magic 6 is the Ubisoft-reboot of the same IP.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2013, 06:10:07 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2013, 06:13:52 pm »

Well they were part of the same world more or less till the forge drama in HoMM3.
I have no idea what happened after that.
Self promotion below.
Pages: [1] 2 3