Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Complete noob needs help! D:  (Read 1546 times)

chevil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Complete noob needs help! D:
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2013, 02:26:56 pm »

http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2012:Furniture#Building_a_door_from_scratch
Mkay, cool. Also what does dumping do? I know it moves things, but how do i get my stumpies to move the stuff?
Zones are under i. You can designate a garbage zone and all items marked for dumping get moved to the garbage zone. You can dump unlimited number of item in a single garbage zone tile.

Major Monocle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2013, 02:29:17 pm »

Alright, I'm finally getting the hang of this, thanks! :D One more thing, There's no water source except stagnant water. How would i pump it into the fortress and get it drinkable?

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2013, 02:32:36 pm »

Dumping is sort of a hybrid between (1) a sort of cheaty way to stack an infinite amount of stuff in one square (2) a trick that you can use to force the dwarves to move items to a very specific spot (3) a useful way to destroy or dispose stuff you don't need and is clogging up your fort (4) a source of frustration to new players because it works differently than other stockpiles.

You don't need a garbage dump really, and I suggest that you shouldn't mess with it until you are comfortable with the concept of item designations including the (d,b) menu.  You do however definitely want a Refuse stockpile, which is a different thing.

http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Dumping#Garbage_Dump
http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2012:Designation
http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2012:Refuse#Refuse

water.  If you run it through a screw pump into an area made entirely out of constructed blocks, it should become clean.  Yes, that's kind of complicated for your first fort.  Too bad you don't have a brook or river.  They'll probably drink the stagnant water and just get a little unhappy, and/or a little sick or infected.  This is unlikely to be your biggest problem.

No matter the source, a well is the best way to actually serve the water out to the dwarves.    Anyway, brew some proper booze and it won't matter.

Major Monocle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2013, 07:10:21 pm »

Dumping is sort of a hybrid between (1) a sort of cheaty way to stack an infinite amount of stuff in one square (2) a trick that you can use to force the dwarves to move items to a very specific spot (3) a useful way to destroy or dispose stuff you don't need and is clogging up your fort (4) a source of frustration to new players because it works differently than other stockpiles.

You don't need a garbage dump really, and I suggest that you shouldn't mess with it until you are comfortable with the concept of item designations including the (d,b) menu.  You do however definitely want a Refuse stockpile, which is a different thing.

http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Dumping#Garbage_Dump
http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2012:Designation
http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2012:Refuse#Refuse

water.  If you run it through a screw pump into an area made entirely out of constructed blocks, it should become clean.  Yes, that's kind of complicated for your first fort.  Too bad you don't have a brook or river.  They'll probably drink the stagnant water and just get a little unhappy, and/or a little sick or infected.  This is unlikely to be your biggest problem.

No matter the source, a well is the best way to actually serve the water out to the dwarves.    Anyway, brew some proper booze and it won't matter.
Awesome, thanks. I have the stockpiles under control, and a masonry area for a door, and some other dwarvy things. How does one brew beer? Just make a brewing area?

Exitstrategy

• Bay Watcher
  • There's no exit! Oh, Armok! The !!magma!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2013, 07:34:15 pm »

Make a still (its under the workshop tag in build [b -> w -> l]) and designate brew drink. Make sure you have plenty of barrels to store the liquid dwarf gold in.

Another tidbit for when you start cooking: Don't let your dwarves cook with booze. This can be shut off under the kitchen tab of the status page (z). You'll have to turn off each booze individually though.
Since when has Dwarf Fortress been about doing things the easy way?

I do believe that it is in part about unnecessarily abusing the opportunities that are presented to you.

Major Monocle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2013, 07:41:29 pm »

Make a still (its under the workshop tag in build [b -> w -> l]) and designate brew drink. Make sure you have plenty of barrels to store the liquid dwarf gold in.

Another tidbit for when you start cooking: Don't let your dwarves cook with booze. This can be shut off under the kitchen tab of the status page (z). You'll have to turn off each booze individually though.
Ok, thanks for the tip! One more thing and i'll stop bugging you guys: How do i get mah dorfs to build something like a block? Say i want a room to be completely refilled and inaccessible. How would i do that?

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2013, 07:58:32 pm »

Constructions (walls/floors/stairs) can be built with the (b)-(C) menu.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Major Monocle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 22, 2013, 08:05:46 pm »

Constructions (walls/floors/stairs) can be built with the (b)-(C) menu.
Cool. Thanks alot for all your help! :D

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 22, 2013, 09:34:28 pm »

He's good?

I'm touching Fortress Mode for the first time this year.  My bridge can be a 2-high drawbridge in a one high space?
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 22, 2013, 11:05:24 pm »

He's good?

I'm touching Fortress Mode for the first time this year.  My bridge can be a 2-high drawbridge in a one high space?
Regardless of the length of a drawbridge it will always condense into a single level tall wall when raised.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.
Pages: 1 [2]