Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The necromancer archery range  (Read 1131 times)

avdpos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
The necromancer archery range
« on: April 22, 2013, 03:32:06 am »

I just must spread the word about my (ok, not my idea from the start) most effective archery traning.

step 1
cage a necromancer
step 2 build archery range

n
y
||
x_xxxx
x_xxxx
x_xxxx
x_xxxx
x_||xxx

n=necromacer
y= window
|| bridge
x= open space
_= one level deep moat

So place a (caged/pited) necromacer behind the windows
pit down a creature in his sightline
and then shoot at the replaceable targets. Thatīs the real efficient way to train markdwarfs.
and remember to have a bridge to top the necromancers sightline. sometime you like to clean the shooting range to get rid of miasmam and idotic things that somebody dropped. Forgot to set raisdirection and now I canīt get my necromancer out of sight which means as high fps problem with dwarfs running back and forward that I maybe need to restart.

I do know that itīs not my original idea but I like to describe it becouse of i didnīt found anything about it when I searched forums. Sit in a downloaded savegame and thought it was really good training way with as little as possible interaction.

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The necromancer archery range
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2013, 03:41:39 am »

Do the marksdwarves gain good xp by shooting the zombies?
"Fools dig for water, corpses, or gold. The earth's real treasure is far deeper."

Laserhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2013, 04:09:58 am »

Very good XP. I put a bunch of pitted zombies in, and get legendary marksdwarves within a year. Which is great in a reanimating biome.

My version also incorporates raised bridges that cover the zombies' area, in case I want to quickly smash all the zombies and stray bolts for FPS reasons.

Fenrisson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2013, 04:25:08 am »

What about a moat behind the target, to collect the bolts that missed the target...

This design is in general what i use for Advanced-Archery-Lesson for my Marksdwarves. Only I pit caged goblins as targets - and have an the optional entry for my melee-squads for training/gladiator fights.

Bonus: Add viewing area with seats for the civilians - even better with food and booze supply. Welcome to the dwarven sports arena...

DWC

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2013, 04:31:41 am »

Maybe a fortification instead of a window, in case you pit a building destroyer down there on accident.

Seems like it could somehow dangerously backfire and kill half your fort for a dubiously added benefit, so its certainly worth a try I think.

avdpos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2013, 08:00:25 am »

Very good XP. I put a bunch of pitted zombies in, and get legendary marksdwarves within a year. Which is great in a reanimating biome.

My version also incorporates raised bridges that cover the zombies' area, in case I want to quickly smash all the zombies and stray bolts for FPS reasons.

totaly agree, very good xp-gain.
But itīs good to have the opportunity to take the necromancer out of view that I missed. A bit irritating push [m] that many times to get the entire squad inside the room and not stop in the door to shot "the very dangerous zombies"

Tarqiup Inua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2013, 06:06:47 pm »

If marksdwarf shoots and the bolt is stopped by fortifications, they still get the xp, right?
Nuri al-Gnat - dwarven apidologist
notable works: al-Gnat's test (for determining the child snatcher's ability to pass undetected while getting stung by bees... or at least look human while at it)

Dwarven War Boar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2013, 06:59:15 pm »

Fortifications don't stop bolts.

doublestrafe

• Bay Watcher
  • [PONY_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2013, 07:02:28 pm »

I tend to make these on the borders of reanimating biomes. That way I don't have to wait around for a necromancer to show up. I like the spent arrow collection idea, though, that's new to me.

My favorite part is how they get more and more active as the parts reanimate.

If I can't get evil or a necromancer, the next best thing is a bronze colossus. They last for years in the arena, especially with wood or bone bolts. I've been trying to figure out what else could work--if you're using goblins, would putting a set of doors in front of them that open and close on a repeater work? Would the archers still shoot often enough, and would the doors block significant numbers of arrows?
« Last Edit: April 22, 2013, 07:13:14 pm by doublestrafe »

Catsup

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2013, 07:17:02 pm »

i normally train my marksdwarves on forgotten beasts that are inorganic and heavy. Even a forgotten beast made of vomit wont completely die unless you melee it and cut its head off or bisect it. I can see how this would work for a early fort without any beasts yet, but with necromancers, though i tend to use a different design than the one you posted:

lvl1:              lvl2:
W W W W W     F F F F F
W            W     F         F
W     N     W     F         F
W            W     F         F
W W W W W     F F F F F

W=wall, F=fortification, the N necromancer is chained so dwarves ignore it and it will also not be directly hostile to dwarves, but can still revive the dead. Level 2 is surrounded by another ring of walls 1 tile behind each fortification so that marksdwarves are forced to hug the fortifications and shoot through it. The necromancer is removed by pulling a lever to the chain and opening a passage to some cage traps, as it tries to path off the map. To get corpses inside either pit live undead from above behind a hatch or dump a bit of refuse onto the hatch above and pull a lever linked to the hatch.

another way to do this without necromancers or a forgotten beast is to capture a sturdy cavern creature like a blind cave ogre, or even use one of your wagon animals. Chain it outside until huskifying weather turns it into a husk, then pit it in a similar pit. Husks wont die unless bisected or beheaded.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2013, 07:18:40 pm by Catsup »

Geldrin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2013, 08:31:43 am »

Quote from: Catsup
Even a forgotten beast made of vomit wont completely die unless you melee it and cut its head off or bisect it.

I don't think so. I've had a forgotten beast which was a blob composed of vomit, and a single bolt was enough to take her out. Unless your vomit FB is not a blob.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2013, 08:34:18 am by Geldrin »

Laserhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2013, 03:42:48 pm »

I actually put the marksdwarfs above the necromancer, looking through fortifications at the zombie pen. I set up a patrol route called "Practice Archery", and by assigning a squad to patrol practice archery they just went in, shot at zombies, reloaded, and shot at more zombies. I didn't care to recover the bolts, there is plenty of copper here.