Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Magic the Gathering?  (Read 594 times)

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Magic the Gathering?
« on: April 22, 2013, 03:01:29 am »

This is about the card game, not the videogame version.

http://www.wizards.com/Magic/Summoner/

Great Card Search Database; http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Default.aspx
(which does not contain all cards, mind you... if anyone has a better one, pm me!)

So who plays, how do you play and why?

I ended up in a regular playgroup, mostly casual play, but some of the older players are throwing around splinter twins and that endless combo where you get hp equal to the T(oughness) of a unit that gets in and then always put in a Avatar (T = players life), so -Play avatar, get 20 hp, play avatar again, 40 T, get 40 hp, play it again -> 160 ->320. And yeah that one guy that plays slivers. How do you counter sliver with protection from color if you're not black?

I play mono blue, lockdown/control, but want to go for blue/black, mostly for Baleful Strix, flying 1/1 with deathtouch. And I pulled Liliana of the Veil out of a booster, so yeah~

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Magic the Gathering?
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2013, 06:17:32 am »

I played but since my deck is shared with my friend it means that I'd need to make a whole new deck (which I am ok with but I want a job first).

I play and I really like how it has a lot of strategy and variety in the cards and how most cards are actually useful (unlike... lets say Yu-Gi-Oh where the vast majority of them are outright useless).

I like to play a variety of decks... but if I remember my decks right they are: White/Black (Cleric deck), Blue/Black (Proliferate deck), Red/Blue (Quick damage)

Unfortunately my proliferation deck was hit too hard with the nerfing gun as it is pretty much near useless. (for those who don't know. It used to be that you can have both negative and positive counters at the same time. Now you can only have one or the other. Meaning that too many decks counter my proliferation strategy)

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2013, 07:16:15 am »

I used to play Magic and so did my brothers. We had such a fun time playing it, with me sucking so much due to lack of cards (and funds to buy more cards), but I was impressed with my eldest bro's card synergy. Basically, he had a sliver-artifact (Mirrodin primarily) deck, which heavily relied on the use of unblockable and flying slivers to attack, a Brood Sliver to produce more cannon fodder, some more other slivers and enchantments which I forgot. By around turn 5, after the usually fifth land card deployment, dude is unstoppable.

The deck was, however, untested in local tournaments, because they were either 1. very rare or 2. nonexistent.

But for casual card gaming sessions, the deck is unstoppable. If only we had a Sliver Queen at that time...
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

aristabulus

• Bay Watcher
  • Fnordius Maximus
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2013, 10:25:56 am »

There's an existing thread for M:tG already...  You can find it here.
If iron is to become steel, it must feel fire! --ancient Dwarven proverb

What is steel compared to the hand that wields it?  --Thulsa Doom