Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: What Playstation 2 Games Should I Buy?  (Read 3893 times)

Hugehead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What Playstation 2 Games Should I Buy?
« Reply #45 on: April 23, 2013, 03:41:08 pm »

Also are the other Shin Megami Tensei games just not worth picking up?

Well all the games use the same core system with slight variations. I think Nocturne is one of the best in terms of production values and overall entertainment.

Like, the old SMT on NES is fairly primitive.
To be nitpicky, the NES games are just Megami Tensei, it wasn't until the SNES ones that they got the Shin added to the front.

Since they haven't been mentioned yet the Kingdom Hearts games are good, and the Tales of... series is good as well, but I'm not sure which PS2 entries are the best.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2013, 11:25:23 am by Hugehead »
We're Bay12er's. If there is a bug, we will find it, exploit it, and make a recursive statue out of it. Just look up Planepacked.
When a dwarf enters a martial trance, they become Jedi. Short, drunken Jedi.

majikero

• Bay Watcher
  • Poi~
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 23, 2013, 03:45:02 pm »

Tales of Abyss but that's getting a remake to 3DS I think.

Alkhemia

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Deep Sea Diver Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 23, 2013, 04:00:19 pm »

Tales of Abyss but that's getting a remake to 3DS I think.
already out
"Hiken: Tsubame-Gaeshi" -Sasaki Kojirou (Grand Order}

"Please touch me. Without lying, wherever you want to touch. That is my wish." - Kiyohime (Grand Order)

"Tyranny, violation, genocide. Those are the things that I detest above all else." - Amakusa Shirou Tokisada (Grand Order)

inEQUALITY

• Bay Watcher
  • Living On the Mirror's Edge
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 23, 2013, 06:47:22 pm »

Final Fantasy X is my favorite 'main' Final Fantasy, and always will be.

Garbage. Stick to the PS1 and prior, avoiding VIII.
FFX was good. It's X-2 that needs to dropped into a fire and violated rectally with a pronged stick.

Why? It has one of the best battle systems in the Final Fantasy series. The minigames are odd, but it is by far a funner game than X.

Dang it, this thread reminded me that to this day I STILL need to play X-2... and finish X. Not like I haven't already had the ending spoiled and whatnot. Still my favorite JRPG of all time (Admittedly, I still need to play SMT and Disagaea). I wish I knew why so many people disliked X?

I second any Armored Core recommendation; AC2: Another Age is one of my personal favorites from the system, but that may just be because it was the first one I picked up. You just can't go wrong with customizeable mechs.
Quote from: Carl Sagan
It does no harm to the romance of the sunset to know a little bit about it.
If the magma cannon doesn't count, they aren't proper scientists.

majikero

• Bay Watcher
  • Poi~
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 23, 2013, 07:16:53 pm »

I forgot to add this to my early recommendation.

Ace Combat 5. Because Razgriz.

Ar Tonelico 1 and 2. Only if you like awesome music and JRPGs.

Mana Khemia 1 and 2. Again only if you like JRPGs.

.hack//GU series. Should be easier to find than the other .hack games.

Colosseum: Road to Freedom. Quite nice if you like gladiatorial action.

Odin Sphere. It's simply beautiful. Also a good action game.

Wild Arms. ALL OF THEM. 4 and 5 if you don't like the older ones.

Xenosaga. ALL OF THEM because Xenosaga.

Front Mission 4. Tactical turn-based wanzer action. Hell yes.

Harvest Moon: A Wonderful Life. The only Harvest Moon I played where you grow old and die. The ending depends on what your child ends up doing.

Ape Escape. Not sure which one is best.

Warship Gunner 2. Naval battles and ships.

Zone of The Enders. Short but good.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 23, 2013, 11:40:30 pm »

Wild Arms 3.
I don't know if its the best or just pretty ok, but it had a really freaking memorable song for me that I couldn't find the name of for ages until last yearish.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 24, 2013, 04:49:33 am »

Harvest Moon: A Wonderful Life. The only Harvest Moon I played where you grow old and die. The ending depends on what your child ends up doing.

Actually, you're better off ignoring this title. Takes so long to start, has a lot of loading and game is pretty slow.

Avoid unless you're an HM fan.

And yes, how could I even forget about Kingdom Hearts? Tales of the Abyss is a good start to any beginner of the Tales series.
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 24, 2013, 05:22:26 am »

I liked A Wonderful Life quite a bit actually, but that's just me.
Wild Arms 3.
I don't know if its the best or just pretty ok, but it had a really freaking memorable song for me that I couldn't find the name of for ages until last yearish.

No. Seriously. You must play this game. I love WA 3, the setting was perfect. 1 was my favorite, though. And that song gave me a nostalgiagasm.

I could list PS2 games all existence so I'll say I double-recommend all the titles I've seen so far with a couple more suggestions:
Romance of the Three Kingdoms 8 RPG/Strategy, one of my favorite games that I still happen to own for PS2. 9 is alright, but very different as you can't be any officer you wish, only a ruler. Has an extreme amount of replayability to me but I'm a history and strategy buff so it's not quite everyone's type.

Way of The Samurai Action RPG, open and your decisions actually affect how things turn out. I cannot recommend this game more. The 2nd one is also very, very good. Hard as all hell, too. Also has a limited type of permadeath with even harder difficulty settings to unlock, but good luck with that. Barely managed to beat this on normal.

Drakengard Alright, I'm going to admit there's very few times in an RPG where I'll be driven to nearly cry. This is one of them. Drakengard was and still is one of my favorite Action RPGs. Seriously. You go buy it now and tell me it isn't incredible. 2nd one is more kiddy but still alright. I wholeheartedly recommend 1, though, especially if you're into Mature RPGs.

Front Mission 4&5 Mech RPG badassery. Writing is a bit to be desired compared to a title like FM3 but they're still solid, good games.

Dark Cloud [yeah I know this isn't a new one but I'm listing it again because it is so notable] You need to play this if you haven't. One of the first games I bought for my PS2 and never regretted it. In depth, solid, very fun RPG.

I feel old. I get nostalgia thinking of the old RPGs I've played.
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

The13thRonin

• Bay Watcher
  • Profession: Handsome Rogue
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 24, 2013, 07:01:32 am »

Britney Spears Dance Beat...

I assure you I am not trolling... It was a surprisingly good rhythm game.
I'm Digging Deeper... AGAIN... You Should Too!

Dig Deeper DIAMOND - 750+ items of new content including; new plants, new creatures, new metals, new woods, new gems, new stones, new crafts and much, much more.

Krath

• Bay Watcher
  • I dig giant robots.
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 26, 2013, 11:22:08 am »

Britney Spears Dance Beat...

I assure you I am not trolling... It was a surprisingly good rhythm game.

Oh, the days I spent playing this on one of my demo disks.
Jizzar sounds some kinda celestial object made of jizz~
Like a quasar or something~

Squanto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 26, 2013, 11:50:45 am »

If you like to have people over and do splitscreen, I would recommend:
-Star Wars Battlefront II - Super fun group action, and the large numbers of NPCs make it nice for smaller groups of friends too.
-007: Nightfire - Arena mode is amazing, but you will likely want a full group of 4 for the best experience
-007: Everything or Nothing - Some of the best 2-player co-op I have played in a long time.  Long live salt shaker and teapot kills!
-Armored Core II - Fairly fun, although limited to arena mode.  Lots of customization options for your robot if you played through singleplayer.  Controls may be a bit wonky, though.
-SSX - Snowboards.  Find the secret way to punch people.

For single player:
-Metal Gear Solid 3 - Because putting a cirgarette on every wound you get.
-Ratchet & Clank(Avoid Deadlocked) - Very well-made games, nice improvement and expansion of game mechanics throughout the series.  2 was my favorite, but Deadlocked made the major mistake of removing Clank from the gameplay and made it very deathmatch-like and dropped most of the story.
-Shadow of the Colossus - Climbing giant monster things.  Yeah.  Also a good story if you don't mind the no-speaking for 99% of it part.
Probably no reason other than it giving them a larger B-peen.
The B is for Business.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]