Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 160 161 [162] 163 164 ... 167

Author Topic: A Game of Thrones: Every time somebody uses the spoiler tags take a shot.  (Read 204724 times)

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile

valar memeis

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile

Bruh, no Dune spoilers in here plz, I still need to read those books.   

Just wait until D&D sees its next opportunity for a book-to-screen adaptation....

Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile

I doubt that. The Curse of Montezuma ain't got shit on trying to put Dune to the big screen.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Deus Asmoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Bland, but sensible.
    • View Profile

I think that was the point though, and the main reason anyone WOULD agree.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Robert was kind of an awful king though. The Seven Kingdoms was at peace while he was alive, yes, but it was also racking up ludicrous amounts of debt because no one was bothered looking into Littlefinger's finances. The realm was only functioning when the series started because Tywin was willing to keep lending that Crown money, but that couldn't continue forever.
Look elsewhere, reader. There is nothing for you here.

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile

To be fair, Robert was also constantly ignoring his duties as a king because of his hedonism and apathy. We don't really know the extent of Bran's apathy, but I doubt he's going to be throwing expensive tourney after tourney, or do any of the other reckless shit Robert did. For rather obvious reasons.
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

To be fair, Robert was also constantly ignoring his duties as a king because of his hedonism and apathy. We don't really know the extent of Bran's apathy, but I doubt he's going to be throwing expensive tourney after tourney, or do any of the other reckless shit Robert did. For rather obvious reasons.

Which came first, though, the hedonism or the misrule? I'm inclined to think Robert's bad habits were a coping mechanism to deal with a job he really didn't want.

Bran may not throw tournaments or spawn bastards, but King Bran of House "Just as Planned" warging his way around the world for fun and curiosity isn't necessarily a better example for the people.

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile

Do the people really need the king to be anything apart from not destructive? The Hand is inevitably the one who makes changes, and since it's Tyrion doing that he's not likely going to curtail the rights of the small folk more.

Bran listens to reason, and if Tyrion or somebody else brings forth an idea he'll actually consider it and make a decision, drawing on literally all of history to help him make said decision. He has magic powers that allow him to suss out and deal with any sort of deception, it's gonna be extremely difficult to assassinate him considering he also has at least two genuinely competent Kingsguard on top of his aforementioned magical abilities, and he's young.

All good points for him and the realm, really. At most, as you've said, his strongest personal desires are curiosity. If something interests him, he'll warg or greenseer his way into seeing it. Hardly the worst pastime.
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Do the people really need the king to be anything apart from not destructive? The Hand is inevitably the one who makes changes, and since it's Tyrion doing that he's not likely going to curtail the rights of the small folk more.

Well, Robert wasn't actively malicious, and it could even be argued he wanted to be a good king. He just didn't want to rule, which is a problem in a monarchy; apart from their governmental role, the monarch is a psychological focusing point for the people. They're a way to put a human face on the country, and even when the monarch is entirely relictual there's still value to that. When the king stops seeming human or saying anything or being visibly the king, that's how you get people stepping into speak for him and interpret things, which is a short hop to, well, the Sparrows.
   All the bullshit with tournaments and ermine capes and pageantry is mostly there to make the king look good, yes, but making the king look good helps keep people from trying to usurp power when no one's looking. Holding court and throwing festivals, on the other hand, are to make the king look human, which helps keep people trying to bring their problems to the attention of the monarchy and/or griping about the king instead of revolting. People can be foolish in ways that encourage the populace to whine and power through it in ways countries can't.
   With Bran, sure he's not malicious or destructive, but he's also not human. Who knows if his decrees are for the good of the realm as it is or for some greater good that only he can (fore)see? What else is there to do with that uncertainty but to worship him and hope his grand plan includes your happiness? Even if he's personally committed to being a good king, the image he presents -- and that will be all 99% of Westeros ever sees -- encourages theocracy. We've seen how that goes.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile

https://youtu.be/v-kmpmz9Yns

Not only are the memes decent, one of them is salient to this argument.

Say Bran knows there's going to be a war. A bad one. His job as the ruler is to protect the realm, so he brutally suppresses everyone responsible for the war, before they've even thought about getting in to it perhaps. Or maybe he has them killed in their cribs since, to his eye, it will do less damage than letting them grow as people and become interconnected with others.

So he orders his knights to go in to the countryside and murder some number of people. He says he does this out of foreknowledge and that people have to trust and obey him. It's not dissimilar to Dany being utterly convinced she knows what's right and required to achieve a better world. Only Bran has/had the benefit of plot powers. But how long would people believe that? How many atrocities would people be willing to commit because they trust he both knows what the future will be and he's choosing a course of action in the best interests of the realm/humanity? What if the wars he's trying to prevent are spawned exactly because people either don't trust his prophetic powers or resent him manipulating their lives to a future they cannot know? What if the wars he's trying to prevent exist solely because of him?

Muad'dib, man. Muad'dib.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile

Is there even any point to telling the small folk he has psychic powers? You could have anybody without status or power killed in Westeros for any number of reasons, no need for anyone to know about future crime.

The people in Westeros have always been shown to be completely uncaring who is king or in charge, so long as they're protected, and their families of food. Bran may not win a lot of goodwill out of charisma or anything like that, but instituting measures to improve the lives of the small folk on the whole can only be a good thing PR wise.
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Muad'dib, man. Muad'dib.

Worse still, he's Muad'dib without terrible purpose. There is no Kralizec(and thus no Secher Nbiw) to anchor and motivate his prescience with anything approaching a moral imperative.

About the only thing worse than Bran intervening all the time is him throwing up his hands and rolling off to go be a squirrel because, ultimately, nothing they can do is better than doing nothing.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile

I'd just like to point out that Bran is also very useful for regular bowel movements.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers

*insert dick joke*
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

zombat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Another Animal House style ending montage
https://youtu.be/SnRRT3Qj_gY

Didn't someone here say they were going to do one with Sansa dying from choking on a cracker?
Pages: 1 ... 160 161 [162] 163 164 ... 167