Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 150 151 [152] 153 154 ... 167

Author Topic: A Game of Thrones: Every time somebody uses the spoiler tags take a shot.  (Read 205271 times)

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile

New tactic: We use the ballista to launch Arya.
If they're gonna do that they should mass-produce this technology

That looks like the the Indian version of xuxiao or whatever that ridiculous fictional martial art is called again.
Xianxia? Yeah, the more outlandish Bollywood films aren't too far off from that sort of thing.

And Indian mythology is actually pretty similar to some forms of Xianxia in the power tiers at least.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

-
« Last Edit: November 23, 2020, 07:49:00 pm by dragdeler »
let

zombat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'd imagine a dragon would be capable of keeping itself warm, but it's flesh would have great thermal conductivity so it doesn't burn up from it's own heat.
But thermal conductivity works both ways and that's why they don't like the cold

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Also for trivial matters:  I'm also amused at the bizarre nature of travel in the world.  Maybe the winds are stronger there? That would explain the apparently bizarre fast travel by ship and dragon.
This product contains deoxyribonucleic acid which is known to the State of California to cause cancer, reproductive harm, and other health issues.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Imagine westeros as roughly the size of the UK and it makes more sense.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH

There are times when you can feel the love the creators have for the show.

There are times when you can feel the contempt oozing off the screen.

Hahahahahaha

Ulfarr

• Bay Watcher
  • Going on a pilgrimage to Mars
    • View Profile

It's probably the same excuse as in last season. Travel happens offscreen and an undefined amount of time has passed between each scene or in plain speech we don't know how to connect the scenes together..

If I remember correctly traveling by land (via Kingsroad) from Winterfell to King's Landing is supposed to take 10 - 15 days. I think it was Catelyn Stark who said so when planning her trip south in the first season. About 15 days was also the deadline the Lannisters gave to Robb Stark to come to King's Landing to swear fealty after Ned's execution.
Bring Kobold Kamp to LNP! graphics compatibility fix.

So the conclusion I'm getting here is that we use QSPs because dwarves can't pilot submarines.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile

(totally OT)

You know, every time I see "Game of Thrones", I think of people scrambling to get to a toilet, a-la musical chairs. I imagine chipotle carry-out delivered to a convention hall or something.

Ulfarr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I blame that one documentary that euphemized toilets as thrones and defecating as growing roses.

So the conclusion I'm getting here is that we use QSPs because dwarves can't pilot submarines.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

calling the toilet "the throne" is a very old US colloquialism.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile

It's probably the same excuse as in last season. Travel happens offscreen and an undefined amount of time has passed between each scene or in plain speech we don't know how to connect the scenes together..

If I remember correctly traveling by land (via Kingsroad) from Winterfell to King's Landing is supposed to take 10 - 15 days. I think it was Catelyn Stark who said so when planning her trip south in the first season. About 15 days was also the deadline the Lannisters gave to Robb Stark to come to King's Landing to swear fealty after Ned's execution.
*does rudimentary horse stats google search*

Winterfell to Kings Landing in 15 days, you say? Internet says an average horse speed is about 30-50km a day. Let's say 50 for bigger numbers. 50*15= 750km.

That's like half the size of England. Even if you assume that it was a more fit horse that could manage 100km in a day, that's still only about the size of England. How the hell does Westeros even fit the amount of differing biomes and armies of tens of thousands and whatnot into it when it's apparently not even the size of the U.K.

oh wait no hang on its probably just that Westeros has super horses, roose 'loose' Bolton told Ramsay that there's multiple thousands of miles in the North alone during that one scene where he got legitimized in season, like, 6 or something. Clearly Westeros horses simply have the power of the thunder in their veins and can travel 100 miles an hour.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Given that this is for an environment that has multi-year-long winters and summers, you are using earth units of measure?

Ever think that "a mile" might not be the unit you are thinking it to be?

(Also, very dense, very small planet. That's how. Extreme surface curvature with a thick atmosphere means extreme differences in insolation over short geographical distances.)
(the wiki for the books suggests the author intended for the planet to be larger than earth however, so it could be the result of unusual atmospheric effects.)

« Last Edit: May 08, 2019, 03:18:47 am by wierd »

Ulfarr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

calling the toilet "the throne" is a very old US colloquialism.

Oh, I only learned about that colloquialism some years ago.

Back on topic

A quick search resulted in that Westeros is about 2000 miles long (in a straight line I guess) from The Wall to Dorne. Kingsroad is supposed to stretch for over 2000 miles which isn’t unrealistic if you consider that it has to conform to the local terrain/paths.

About the climate stuff, I think the many different biomes can be (somewhat) justified by the effect of its vast mountain ranges (see the Vale) and also the Wall (it’s supposed to be 200+ meters high which would definitely have an effect).

A nice real world example would be Greece which has a lot of variation in each of its regions, with eastern areas being considerably drier than the western ones and southern regions being also a lot warmer than the northern parts.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile

Some apparently think Drogon had baby dragons and Euron was looking at them towards the end of the episode.

Wishful thinking ftw.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread
Pages: 1 ... 150 151 [152] 153 154 ... 167