Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 116 117 [118] 119 120 ... 167

Author Topic: A Game of Thrones: Every time somebody uses the spoiler tags take a shot.  (Read 205577 times)

Deus Asmoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Bland, but sensible.
    • View Profile

So how was beating the Waif what qualified Arya to be No-One in any case? That was always set up to be a test of her letting go of her own attachments to become a proper assassin. Killing someone that has done everything possible to make Arya hate her short of murdering her family doesn't qualify her any more than any of the other people she's killed.

Also waiting for Arya to teleport into Winterfell and kill Ramsay, since she's the only character with plot armour stronger than his aside from Daenerys.
Look elsewhere, reader. There is nothing for you here.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile

The whole thing with Arya is, I think, the worst thing they've done with the series since passing the books. And I say that because, flawed as Martin's writing can be, one of the most appealing things about A Song of Ice and Fire is that it is grounded. Sure, there is magic and dragons and whatnot, but all of the mundane stuff is actually mundane. You stab a person in the gut and they're going to go into shock and probably die. Maybe adrenaline will keep them going for a bit, but they're pretty much out for the count once their body figures out what happened.

I could have bought a single stab being ultimately ignorable if it missed any major organs, but she got stabbed many times, including a really viscous twist deep into the gut. She should have died right there, or at least shortly after crawling out of the water. She should not, by any stretch of the imagination, have had the strength to get up and run around after being administered to. Heck, I had my appendix removed as a kid and I'd have been hard pressed to get up and walk the next day. In fact, I'm pretty sure they didn't let me even try.

This whole thing just went beyond "OOOOH! SHOCK! SPECTACLE! We can play with the audiences emotions!" into "The hell are they thinking??" territory.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH

Jon Snow - Stabbed, stabbed again, stabbed some more, stab stab stab. Dies. Comes back like Jesus.
On that note, it would've been considerably more tolerable if Arya gets stabby stabbed, dies, then gets red priested back to life like Jesus
So we wind up with a faceless Arya?

That'd be pretty fukken metal.
Would've made sense, the more that I think about it. Since they were aborting her Faceless adventure early, they could've had a cool scene where Arya is being chased by the Terminator only to get Jaqen Hagendar'd. She is 100% dead, dead dead dead, totally dead, maximum dead, viewership all across the world flips their shit and then next episode have someone like Quaithe or a mysterious red priest bring her back to life with Rhololo magic, thus not exposing Arya's plot armour or conflicting with the crunch of the Faceless. Also as well, all that stuff about acrobatics and improbable surgery with sterile wounds and all can be explained - Arya did die, and is not back by normal means, thus not grounded in normal reality. And just when you think things are over, BAM, Arya bumps into Friendzone Mormont and informs him she knows of a means to fix his greyscale (the priest who brought her back to life), if he promises to bring her to Westeros. Jorah would then have to choose between going back to Khaleesi or home, but he knows Arya's also important as fuck, and either way he's leaving with a fire arm and Arya's actually getting to advance her story in a way that is not retarded. And just when you think it's over, BAM, Jorah Mormont runs into little Lady Mormont, who has not forgotten that he is an exiled slaver~
Man, this shit writes itself

The whole thing with Arya is, I think, the worst thing they've done with the series since passing the books. And I say that because, flawed as Martin's writing can be, one of the most appealing things about A Song of Ice and Fire is that it is grounded. Sure, there is magic and dragons and whatnot, but all of the mundane stuff is actually mundane. You stab a person in the gut and they're going to go into shock and probably die. Maybe adrenaline will keep them going for a bit, but they're pretty much out for the count once their body figures out what happened.

I could have bought a single stab being ultimately ignorable if it missed any major organs, but she got stabbed many times, including a really viscous twist deep into the gut. She should have died right there, or at least shortly after crawling out of the water. She should not, by any stretch of the imagination, have had the strength to get up and run around after being administered to. Heck, I had my appendix removed as a kid and I'd have been hard pressed to get up and walk the next day. In fact, I'm pretty sure they didn't let me even try.

This whole thing just went beyond "OOOOH! SHOCK! SPECTACLE! We can play with the audiences emotions!" into "The hell are they thinking??" territory.
Arthur Dayne - stabbed in the back, he collapses to the ground before being decapitated by Ned Stark.
Gerold Hightower - stabbed in the neck by Ned Stark, dies immediately.
Khal Drogo - sliced in the shoulder, wound gets infected despite having doctors from all over Essos in his Khalasar, dies.
Robert Baratheon - gored in the gut, wound gets infected despite having maestars from all over the Seven Kingdoms, dies.
Renly Baratheon, stabbed through the chest, dies instantly.
Stableboy, stabbed through the gut by Arya Stark, dies instantly.
Champion of Meereen - his horse is killed with a knife throw to the eye, which kills it immediately. The Champion is decapitated when his horse collapses.
Yoren - stabbed in the leg, immobilizing him before being finished off with a stab through the throat by Armory Lorch.
Qorin Halfhand - stabbed through the chest by Jon Snow, mortally wounded.
Martyn Lannister - stabbed by the Karstarks, dies immediately.
Willem Lannister - stabbed by the Karstarks, dies immediately.
Robb Stark - stabbed in the gut, dies quickly.
Rorge - stabbed in the heart by Arya Stark, dies quickly.
Talisa Stark - stabbed in the gut, dies quickly. Baby dies too.
Lommy - stabbed in the throat, dies quickly.
Polliver - stabbed in the throat, dies quickly.
Craster - stabbed through the mouth by Karl, legend of Jin fookin Alley, dies immediately.
Jeor Mormont - stabbed in the back by Rast, has enough strength to try strangling Rast to death before collapsing (being finished off by Rast).
Barristen Selmy - stabbed and dies slowly.
Maester Luwin - stabbed in the gut with a spear, mortally wounded, mercy killed by Osha.
Hound - stabbed, wound gets infected, presumed dead, miraculously survives under care of a Septon, spends entire seasons recovering.
Greyworm - stabbed, is bedridden in recovery for a hell of a long time with an Empire's healthcare at his disposal (is still not in fighting shape).
Stannis Baratheon - stabbed in the leg, mortally wounded.
Mag Mar Tun Doh Weg the last King of the Giants fights Grenn, the farmer's son, and five other Night's Watchmen. Mag Mar Tun Doh Weg is mortally wounded by their stabbing.
Areo Hotah - stabbed, immediately dies.
Doran Martell - stabbed, dies almost immediately.
Jojen Reed- stabbed by wights, mortally wounded, mercy killed by his sister.
Roose Bolton - stabbed in the gut, dies almost immediately.
Meryn Trant - stabbed repeatedly, probably mortally wounded but gets throat slit anyways for good measure, dies.
Arya Stark - stabbed multiple times in the gut by an order of assassins with a 100% success rate, falls into the Braavosi canals where they transport their excrement and refuse, is saved by an actress with apparently god tier surgery experience, proceeds to run around jumping from buildings, sprinting, culminating in blind stick fighting from which she is victorious, before moving on to challenge the entire house of many faces.

So I tried to compile a list of all the major and minor characters that died from stabbing or where stabbed, I think I got 90% of them, and am not including all the mooks that died of stabbing, or major characters who died offscreen or brought back through magic.

Notable stabbings focusing on the gut area:
Roose Bolton - in peak physical condition, the only excessively health conscious person alive in Westeros (not anymore). A warrior, dies immediately nonetheless.
Areo Hotah - a giant of a man wearing body armour, a bodyguard by profession and one of the most skilled warriors alive - dies instantly to his abdominal wound to someone considerably smaller with a considerably smaller weapon. This flies in the face of the Hound's lesson to Arya - Meryn Trant > First Sword of Braavos, because Meryn Trant wears armour and carries a big fucking sword. Not the first time a scantily clad bad poosi defeats a giant man without a big fucking sword, Ramsay perfected this technique vs the Ironborn.
Stannis Baratheon - stabbed in the leg, mortally wounded. Possessed of an unconquerable iron will, even wounds stopped him.
The Hound - the second largest person alive after the Mountain and the toughest warrior alive (if the Mountain no longer counts). Probably owing to his immense toughness and refusal to die, he miraculously survives and is cared for by some unknown priest with medical knowledge and supplies. Even so - he takes 2 seasons to recover.
Khal Drogo - Genghis Fucking Khan, it's a big deal when the undefeated warrior is slain by an infected scratch.
Mag Mar Tun Doh Weg - is not even human, being a Giant.
Grey Worm - spends two seasons recovering from his wounds, spending much of his time actually bedridden. Is still not back in fighting shape, sticking to command and the War Council - this despite being a warrior trained since before his memories to fight, being in superb physical condition and personal hygiene.

Tfw as well you realize they also wasted Greatjon Umber, being a Northlord who made it back North from the Red Wedding alive - mentioned to be killed offscreen in S6 lol
The general gist of it all is that Arya really relied on the plot armour here. The issue is that in such a way that it's impossible to ignore

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile

I'm going to search YouTube for a compilation of just the stab scenes, I'm sure someone's done it. I hope it's accompanied with appropriate music. The opening theme is rather stabby actually, but something with a little more time between beats might be easier to see.
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH

I find it interesting to note some people think a lot of the retarded shit D&D gets up to was exacerbated by how much they hated the actors, hence why DeObia got so fucked and Stephen Dillane's Stannistude irked D&D into burninating his character, but most interesting is how Ian McElhinney got fucked. He didn't really get fucked worse than any of the other actors in particular, especially DeObia whose time they just wasted, but this probably stands out to me because of their reaction:

In George RR Martin's book series, Selmy, a Westerosi knight turned loyal advisor to Queen Daenerys Targaryen, is still alive and well – but last year, the Game of Throne showrunners decided to write in a shock death for the character, at the hands of the dangerous Meereen-based rebel group the Sons of the Harpy.

"Truthfully, miffed," McElhinney told an audience at London's Comic Con last week, after being asked how he felt about the change. "But I knew before I even saw the script because I got the schedule. Unfortunately I'd read the books, so I had expectations for season five.
They laugh at him for writing a sincere letter about his shocking death and they laugh at him, saying that made them want to kill his role more

I think if anything can sum up the direction GOT took, it's "Unfortunately I'd read the books." It's notable that as soon as GRRM stops holding D&D's hands, things go downhill fast - GRRM having written for shows before must help. Sad thing is since the ravenous reviews from critics who are pleased by no character development, plot developments, revelations, twists or actions, merely the presence of strong 1D Female characters, D&D are going to continue down the path where bum fingering the show = critical acclaim, putting in effort = critical scorn
I don't think anyone would particularly care if D&D really wanted to own the show and put it down their own track but Jesus Christ, they either do not have the talent or care anymore to do so

Ep9 something should actually happen, namely that Danaerys will probably burninating the slaver fleets (thus solving all her problems again), but that will be the last scenes so they can play the Dany wonder music before rolling to credits. Before then most of the show will be a battle of Hardhome scale, where the Northern host fights the Boltons, who far outclass the Wildling forces and fight in a phalanx. Jon's principle commanders will be Tormund and Davos, the Night's Watch won't do much, and to piss Davos off there'll be the flayed corpse of Stannis burninating somewhere. The red priestess won't do anything of note to change the battle outcome. One of the big fights will be Smalljon Umber vs Tormund. Brienne will not use her teleporting powers to 1goodman the Bolton forces. Wun Wun will die doing a reverse Hodor, opening a gate, thus rendering all giants extinct in door related incidents (seriously, all of them have died opening or closing doors, it's a theme). When all is lost and the Northern host is surrounded, they will attempt to break out of the Bolton forces grip, but will ultimately fail. Close in shots of Jon Snow and Sansa's faces when they realize "fml, we're dead", either before or after we get a dramatic Rickon Stark run to Jon and Sansa which ends in Rickon dying (because it's not as if anyone even remembers who Rickon is, or even if anyone from prior S3 still watches). With the Bolton forces stabbinating the wildling host (because it turns out soldiers > tribesmen) all is lost, GG
lol jk
CIA arrives with the fuckhueg Vale host and saves the day, with the Knights of the Vale WRYYYYYYing through the Bolton forces, caught between the Wildling host and the Valemen (and the Valemen on their own could wrek the Boltons). Ramsay runs into Winterfell but this is where Wun Wun opens the gate and then the combined CIA-Stark alliance busts into Winterfell and Ramsay gets captured. Jon Snow and Sansa decide that they're morally above killing Ramsay, using the anachronism that they won't stoop to his level. They then lock him in the kennels with his dogs, which promptly eat him. Cut to Danaerys burninating the Astapoory, IN THEIR THATCHED ROOF COTTAGES [end scene with cgi and whimsical noises]

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Why the wildlings gotta carry Stark colours
Mance Raydar didn't die for this shit
Really the Night King is #1 dad for adopting all those orphan babies
« Last Edit: June 19, 2016, 06:56:20 pm by Loud Whispers »

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile

oh look you were entirely right except for the timing of the scenes. good job d&d

Actually this episode was fairly okay. Even if the events were predictable as hell the visuals were pretty good. Dragons make good CGI dumps.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2016, 11:23:52 pm by Xantalos »
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile

When Sansa asked "Where is he?" I thought that they were going to have forgotten about him and let him escape.

Can't wait to read this episode in the books though.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile

Oh the book Battle of Ice is going to be so different from what happened here that it'll be practically unrecognizeable. So many different plot lines...
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Welp, time to binge-watch the entirety of season six for the first time so that I can watch the finale with my friend(s) when it comes out.

Wish me luck. I can barely remember what was going on last I watched.   

Edit: okay, just watching the "previously on" segment at the start of the season was pretty intense.
A lot of stuff I'd mostly forgotten about, and a few things I was already very much looking forward to seeing how they pan out. No time to figure out how to re-word that unwieldy sentence, gonna unpause the show now.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2016, 05:24:37 am by Yoink »
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Comrade P.

• Bay Watcher
  • For space is wide and good friends are too few
    • View Profile

Jon kicking the shit out of Ramsay's face up close was very satisfying.
Sigs

Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody’s gonna die. Come watch TV?

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Just... wow. Thanks for the spoiler, there. ::)
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile

Fuck me LW, I only predicted half of the battle. Where the fuck did that wall of corpses come from, seriously?
Good job anyway.
Rip wunwun, you predictable can opener.
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile

Not watching znymore. Just following this thread (mostly for LW) and waiting for  grrm to finish winds
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH

Fuck me LW, I only predicted half of the battle. Where the fuck did that wall of corpses come from, seriously?
Good job anyway.
Rip wunwun, you predictable can opener.
Ahaha, got everything but wall of corpses

Not sure when they built the corpse rampart then lol

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile

Inb4 it turns out LW is just a split personality of one of the writers, one that hates with a burning passion how shitty they are and feels compelled to vent their rage on the internet in almost prophetic rants about the direction of the show.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG
Pages: 1 ... 116 117 [118] 119 120 ... 167