Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 100 101 [102] 103 104 ... 167

Author Topic: A Game of Thrones: Every time somebody uses the spoiler tags take a shot.  (Read 205738 times)

zombat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Edit: Also, did Ramsey forget he was a bastard?
Everyone has forgotten they're a bastard. The sand sneks are bastards who just assassinated all the Martells, yet rule over all the Martells' lords. Ramsay is a bastard who just assassinated his father and rules over the north despite rebelling against the King who just made him legitimate (and why are they afraid of invasion, they hold moat cailin and recaptured stony shore ffs!), Jon Snow is a bastard but we get all this shit about him being the last legitimate stark (despite not being legitimate, nor for that matter, a probable stark). I'm just waiting for Gendry to come back and reclaim house Baratheon and Storm's End to complete the bastard shitshow lol, anyone else missing?
Tyrion   ;)

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile

But....Tyrion's not a bastard? He's drinks and he knows things, but that's about it.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile

But....Tyrion's not a bastard? He's drinks and he knows things, but that's about it.

All dwarfs are bastards in their father's eyes

There's also a somewhat solid theory about Tyrion being a secret Targaryen, in the books at least. But this shitstorm strayed a whole frigging lot from the books in the last two seasons...
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

That journey to the Wall with Jon was brilliantly done, I think, in exploring Tyrion's character.

And the previous Joffrey-slap. Mustn't forget that.
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile

Eh, the show's a lot more fun if you just roll with it and don't think too hard about everything. It is a spectacle, nothing more, nothing less. Considering that they started this series long before Martin was even close to finishing the books, I don't see how we could have expected anything different.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers

Well, there's a theory Tyrion is actually a Targaryen bastard because Aerys the Mad could have fucked Joanna Lannister because he's such a funny guy.
OR
Tyrion is actually only legitimate Tywin son because Cersei & Jamie are Aerys bastards which explains the whole sibling love thing, and explains why Tyrions existence was such an insult to Tywin yet he never actually wanted to kill him or stuff.

Also, I like that new theory that Daenerys is actually Jons sister because Tower of Joy and she apparently has memories of Dorne or someshit. It could also somehow mean that her immunity to fire isin't just Targaryen thing because it's actually getting resurrected by R'hllor thing and Jon can be on fire now too. Would mean that Jon and her get to ride dragons because immunity and maybe there could be someone else who dies and get brought back - not Beric sadly as he's dead now, which is actually kinda sad, he could have been a very nice Azhor Ahai.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile

Eh, the show's a lot more fun if you just roll with it and don't think too hard about everything. It is a spectacle, nothing more, nothing less. Considering that they started this series long before Martin was even close to finishing the books, I don't see how we could have expected anything different.
To be fair it was pretty close to being finished. It just hasn't got any closer.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile

It took him 9 years to write books 4 and 5. Did we really think he'd get 6 and 7 done any faster?

I didn't.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile

I mean we basically had 4 books published in the 10 years before the show and 1 book in the 10 years after. Also the series is now a book longer.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH

The last scene was stupid but the rest of the episode was fine and I appreciate that the plot appears to be going somewhere for the first time in ages.
D&D's overcompensation was too unsubtly pummeling to tolerate, they managed to erase all the complexities of all the characters, as far as I can tell the only characters who have escaped such mischaracterised flanderisation are Arya, Bran, Jorah (irrelevant), Tyrion (even if he's now just the one who knows and drinks things), Varys and GREGOR THE MOUNTAAAAAAAAIN. Who they shouldn't be calling Sir Gregor, given that they sent Dorne the Moutain's skull, but D&D writing for ya.

e: and even in the case of the last scene I'm not gonna cry about losing 8 episodes of Daenerys sitting around in some hut with Dothraki widows

e2: actually I guess the Ramsey scene was also pretty dumb but what's new.
This Dany scene was by and far the worst one I've ever seen. There was no hype, you know she's never in danger, and the Khals all die in the most rushed nonsensical way ever. The fact that Dany goes from doing absolutely nothing to having all her problems resolved is worse than if she had done nothing at all, at least then she would have actually had problems to deal with in her life.
We basically spent last season's episode hyping up the Dothraki, then we get a whole episode of hyping up the Shekel Khaleen, then we get one episode of calmly toasting the deadliest fighters alive, whose blood riders have somehow been slain by the friendzone brothers - despite being the most guarded people alive short of the Braavosi top don, we aren't even gifted to an epic fight scene between Jorah and Bluebeard vs dozens of Dothraki bloodriders in unarmed combat. Remember how at the end of season 1 it was such a big deal when Jorah fought (and was nearly completely wrekt) by one bloodrider? Yeah nah, D&D doesn't remember.

There would've been one easy way to have done this right. Have Tyrion attempt to fix all of Dany's fuckups in Meereen, all the whilst Varys disappears to do Varys things, Missandei and BDSMworm develop actual character and humanity (or at the very least inhumanity, as they are now they are just flanders), then zoom off to Dany getting rekt. Dressed down as Khaleesi of nothing, hopes and ambitions fruitless, heck have Dany have to use her intelligence to try and buy herself some time by threatening them with Drogon or playing to the pride of some of them to have them try and tame Drogon - literally anything where we don't know for sure Dany isn't about to be slaughtered in 10 secs. As it stands now there was zero percent chance that anything but Dany flawlessly solving all of her problems and becoming perfect with everybody loving her would happen, for she is a painful Mary Sue and D&D are in meltdown mode.
Then when all seems hopeless for Dany - a surprise face shows up. Eunuchs serve the Dosh Khaleen, and guess who happens to show up? FUCKING VARYS. Then we could spend an episode showing Dany meeting the Khals, but with foreshadowing of stuff to come - like Varys standing in the background holding brazier oil. Hype it up to be some mini-RW and when we get to know and love the Khalasar, when all of them are assembled in some great and holy ceremony - have the plan be executed as Dany roasts them like a cheeki nandos. Instead of playing the "wow isn't this awesome, don't you just love wondrous Dany boy" music, play the Red God's theme as she burns alive all the Dothraki Khals and family during the most sacred of ceremonies, crushing their entire religion as worthless (they could keep the Dosh Khaleen talking about how all the crone stuff as superstition, being thematically appropriate).
Then have Dany walk outside the burning temple, showing the Dothraki all panicked and angry, uncertain of whether they should try and kill the witch - then end scene as big fucking Drogon lands on the fires of the temple, a dragon as dark as the night is full of terrors - with all the Dothraki bowing down to the greatest horselord, whose horse happens to be a dragon.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I mean we basically had 4 books published in the 10 years before the show and 1 book in the 10 years after. Also the series is now a book longer.

Personally, I'm more miffed with Rothfuss than Martin. Both are milking their franchises for all they're worth, but Rothfuss at least pretends for integrity. Plus he made a blinking board game instead of finishing the book.

I think I may be having withdrawal symptoms.
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

zombat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Dressed down as Khaleesi of nothing, hopes and ambitions fruitless, heck have Dany have to use her intelligence to try and buy herself some time by threatening them with Drogon or playing to the pride of some of them to have them try and tame Drogon - literally anything where we don't know for sure Dany isn't about to be slaughtered in 10 secs.

Khals could've made good on their promise and had a go with her, then their men, then when its the horses turn the dragon swoops down and burns everything and everyone.

I can understand why they wouldn't subject one of the biggest girl power Sues to repeated gang rape though, given the current climate of shrill feminazis moaning about everything. They'll probably say how its the worst misogynist thing GOT has ever done... even worse than getting tied to a bedpost as a saddistic shit shoots crossbow bolts into you or getting pushed down and stabbed right into the baby.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile

Khals could've made good on their promise and had a go with her, then their men, then when its the horses turn the dragon swoops down and burns everything and everyone.

given the current climate of shrill feminazis moaning about everything

windows into people
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile

That's so nice strawman you got there GO. No one ever claimed the shirt was scaring women away. Just that it was terrible and symptomatic of a climate where women don't feel welcome. Which might or might not be true, but is certainly not so ridiculous a claim as what you're representing.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH

That's so nice strawman you got there GO. No one ever claimed the shirt was scaring women away. Just that it was terrible and symptomatic of a climate where women don't feel welcome. Which might or might not be true, but is certainly not so ridiculous a claim as what you're representing.
windows into people
You guys might've missed the gigantic feminist backlash against unnecessary Sansa rape that caused them so much shit that they decided to fix season 6 by killing off the remaining competent male leads whilst making the secondary ones incompetent, needing strong independent woman don't need no man to fix everything

"Weiss and David Benioff were emphatic, before the season started, that any change in direction you might see in this episode were not in response to viewer feedback. Benioff said, “The thing that’s slightly frustrating is the idea that we’re responding to criticism from last year, so therefore we’re going to beef up the female roles—that’s blatantly untrue.”"

Basically they've overcompensating from the sheer amount of shit (pardon, the absolutely livid viewer feedback) they got for unnecessary Sansa-rape, hence why we got Dorne even though there was no foreshadowing of popular discontent against the already-established as popular Prince who brought prosperity to Dorne (or how the sneks teleported to a ship in King's Landing).
So this season is likely going to be stronk womyn even if it means erasing all the complexities of all the characters even in the remote sphere of D&D's attention, even if it means(...)
Zombat's not wrong lel

Just read the critical reviews from feminists, my favourite one is from the guardian who rated this season as critically smashing for how it portrays women versus last season's "worrying" portrayal <3

Let's take a brief look at all the characters we've been reintroduced to so far, from ep1 to 2:
Spoiler: ep 1 (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: ep 2 (click to show/hide)
I'll get onto ep3 later since ep3 is guilty of all the sins of ep 1 & 2 combined if anyone's interested, if not I don't care much anymore, I just want Clegane bowl hype, no more sand sneks and toasty grrl power xD

That, or an extended House of Cards style CIA cut. Might do that actually, sounds like fun
Oh yeah, point being as it stands now every single male character has either said they were too weak and needed a female counterpart to lead them, or that male character was killed by the female characters surrounding them, or they're Littlefinger and the High Septon - both antagonists. Tyrion is the only sympathetically portrayed male lead who is somewhat independent, serving Danaerys rather ambivalently - (and he will ride a dragon fucking confirmed sekrit Targ, or maybe Nettles), but he will soon replace Varys as his right hand man with a red priestess (who knows too much about Varys, making him genuinely scared). Needless to say the pointless destruction of male characters (Doran & Stannis rofl) and the Flanderisation of every female character into a Mary Sue (name one flaw Dany has) has made the show boring and predictable. Oh look, Bran needs M.Reed or he's useless. Jon needs R.Priestess or he's useless. Davos and the Knights need R.Priestess or they're useless. Daario Brothers need Dany or they're useless. Loras needs Margery or he's useless. Tommen needs Cersei or he's useless. Doran needs the bad pussy and his all according to keikaku is useless. Stannis is Mannising it in the after-plot. Theon needs Yara or he's useless. Dany does nothing wrong, even when she burns people alive or crucifies innocent people without trial. The war of the Five Kings is over and the only main character left to contend is Dany, who has zero flaws, is so attractive people swear loyalty to her on sight, has a perfect sense of justice, is capable of inspiring mass zealous devotion through liberty and beauty, is a flawless general who has never been defeated in combat, fluently speaks Westerosi, Dothraki, Old Valyrian, is capable of making the entire Mongol Dothraki world bow to her (through awe and beauty), rides a dragon, has unique hair and is a Queen of an ancient, powerful magical dynasty from a long-lost Empire of which she is the last remnant and possess magical powers for herself, is guarded by the greatest soldiers alive including mysterious sorcerors and has ambitions to bring world peace through world conquest of which she has no opponents to face.

Wew lads a thousand fanfics flash before my eyes

Just read the critical reviews, GO's portraying it exactly how they rate it lel

"The most recent episode of HBO's Game of Thrones largely evaded the two major questions from the previous chapter, and instead lined up its sixth season to gravitate around the heroics and cunning of its female protagonists." Mark W. Pleiss, Pop Matters
"It's too early to say for sure, but the first episode of the first post-Martin season already feels more woman-friendly, indeed a tad warmer and more embracing overall." Matt Zoller Seitz, New York Magazine/Vulture
"If there's a theme to "The Red Woman," it might just be Girl Power, which is a promising turn." Katie Walsh, The Playlist
"Showrunners David Benioff and DB Weiss have said this season is all about the women, and this opening episode did much to suggest they are right." Sarah Hughes, Guardian
"If this premiere is any indication, the executive producers are moving beyond George R.R. Martin's novels to show women finding their power and wielding it." Mark A. Perigard, Boston Herald

That's for episode 1, season 6 - which according to fans is the weakest episode GOT has ever produced, which according to Critics is crack cocaine they can't get enough of for some reason... Hmm, I wonder what the Critics evaluate their judgements on? I haven't got a clue  :P
P.s. GO has a point on the guy who shot a probe onto a comet and all they gave a fuck about was making some physics nerd cry because of his shirt :)
Pages: 1 ... 100 101 [102] 103 104 ... 167