Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 80 81 [82] 83 84 ... 167

Author Topic: A Game of Thrones: Every time somebody uses the spoiler tags take a shot.  (Read 205518 times)

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile

Plus that BS about Valyrian steel turning WW into crushed ice.
As a book reader it seemed clear to me that Valyrian steel rekt the WW. Samwell reads about dragonsteel harming the Others in the books, and both he and Jon suspect that Valyrian steel is dragon steel what with Valyrian steel rumoured to have been forged with dragon fire.

Yep, basically the only reason the Others are even a major threat is because it is RIDICULOUSLY hard to get people to part with their Valyrian steel. Take HOUSE FUCKING LANNISTER[Who de facto rule/ruled Westeros and had metric oodles of money] not being able to get ahold of one for years and years until they get Ice from Ned. As with a lot of problems in GoT, they only exist because everything is split into a bajillion factions who don't get along.
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Thenns are best wildlings. Thenns FTW.

Also Valyrian steel is pretty fucking rare, it doesn't seem far-fetched to me that no-one would have known the scope of its powers... especially considering how uncommon White Walkers were until recently, too.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile

As with a lot of problems in GoT, they only exist because everything is split into a bajillion factions who don't get along.
Sounds familiar.

There are only a handful of known Valyrian steel blades in Westeros and I doubt they'd realistically turn the tide. If White Walkers knew such weapons were on the field they could just use their minions instead of wading in as if invincible.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH

Checked the wiki on Valyrian steel, book Tyrion estimates that there's still thousands of Valyrian steel weapons out there and at least 200 in Westeros. So far in the show we've seen a dagger (wielded by "You shouldn't be here" peasant, later wielded by Petyr Baelish), Ice and its two child swords (one wielded by Brienne, the other by... Probably Tommen) and I don't think any other valyrian steel weapons.

As with a lot of problems in GoT, they only exist because everything is split into a bajillion factions who don't get along.
Sounds familiar.
There are only a handful of known Valyrian steel blades in Westeros and I doubt they'd realistically turn the tide. If White Walkers knew such weapons were on the field they could just use their minions instead of wading in as if invincible.
They wouldn't even need to do that, winter is on their side. They'd only need to wait for everyone to starve to death.

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile

I stand corrected. Makes no sense to me that the Lannisters failed to get their hands on one. You'd have thought at least one of their conquered enemies would have had one, such as House Targaryen.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile

Additionally, according to Tywin, Robert had 'an armory full of the damned things', the things in question being Valyrian steel daggers. More than enough material to forge into a sword.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH

I stand corrected. Makes no sense to me that the Lannisters failed to get their hands on one. You'd have thought at least one of their conquered enemies would have had one, such as House Targaryen.
The Lannisters did have one; it went missing when one of the Lannisters (one of Tywin's unclces, or brothers, can't remember exactly whom) took it with him when he sailed to explore old Valyria, and disappeared because Valyria is spooky.
Then they had two when they reforged Ice, stolen from the Starks. Then they had one when Jaime gave his away to Brienne. They should have at least a few more if you count the Lords serving under them.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Oh no, it was Tommen Lannister, one of the kings of the Rock before Aegon came and fucked up the Westeros, who sailed to Valyria and was never seen again who lost Brightroar. One of Tywin's brothers went after him to get the sword back, and was promptly never seen again.
Sig! Onol

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile

They actually state that they aren't really rare, it's just that no one is willing to part with their family swords.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH

Oh no, it was Tommen Lannister, one of the kings of the Rock before Aegon came and fucked up the Westeros, who sailed to Valyria and was never seen again who lost Brightroar. One of Tywin's brothers went after him to get the sword back, and was promptly never seen again.
Oh yeah, got him confused with that other Lannister who sailed west over the atlantic sea and found Murrica was never seen again.

They actually state that they aren't really rare, it's just that no one is willing to part with their family swords.
They are rare, since no one remembers how to make them. They're just not ~that~ rare.

Spoiler: rewatching the episode (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: June 03, 2015, 04:47:12 am by Loud Whispers »

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile

House Thenn master race.

DAMAGNARINDANORF!

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile

Some musings

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile

Targaryen had two (named) family swords, Blackfyre and Dark Sister. Both was lost over the 300 years since the Targaryen Invasion of Westeros.

Spoilers for the books:
Spoiler: Blackfyre (click to show/hide)

Spoilers for both the books and the show, and possibly things that haven't happened in either yet:
Spoiler: Dark Sister (click to show/hide)
Love, scriver~

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Mace Tyrell best character.
Sig! Onol
Pages: 1 ... 80 81 [82] 83 84 ... 167