Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 118 119 [120] 121 122 ... 167

Author Topic: A Game of Thrones: Every time somebody uses the spoiler tags take a shot.  (Read 205595 times)

zombat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Nae, Cannae make sense, but here we didn't have the Boltons have their center fall back to trick the Northnorthmen. They just waited for all their enemies to run in one tight, convenient bunch right close to the corpsewall (Why do they all gather there? Fuck if I know), and then send their phalanx running around. How does that make sense? Well, it doesn't.

Also, I didn't really see the Dany character depth.
Its actually really funny really.

Jon in the war room was saying the only way to win was to piss Ramsey off enough that he'd leave Winterfell and charge his forces, and that by having Jon's centre line collapse he'd be able to envelop Ramsey's forces.

So the genius plan he comes up with ends up being used against him, and would've succeeded if not for MAGICAL PLOT ARMOUR.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile

That's clearly exactly what they were going for given the Jon/Sansa conversation.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The general plot beats were "obvious" but it was incredibly well-executed and a great episode. Honestly I prefer having a satisfying and good episode to the shitty downer twists that defined Season 5 and derailed the story.
And to be fair, the Vale horsemen did set out a while ago. They just had to teleport past most chailin, walk across hundred of km of North without anyone noticing, and then arrive just behind the Bolton army without anyone noticing it either (Seriously, don't anyone have sentries looking anywhere?)
Didn't Littlefinger establish that he had taken Moat Cailin and that his forces were waiting there when we saw him last?
« Last Edit: June 20, 2016, 06:57:12 pm by Leafsnail »

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH

Basically everything that happens in this season was leaked months ago. I assume he was just paraphrasing those leaks like I've seen people do on other forums.
I thought it was just Jon Snuh life and Dothraki roast that was leaked
Otherwise you can just look at the ep preview, D&Ds list of inspirational material and judge off their characters previous placements to guess all the scenes in between, and you can always be sure certain characters are bulked in immense layers of plot armour (usually the ones always on the cusp of death and misfortune but avoiding it every time)

I assume it was something to do with the essentially invincible creatures that can easily annihilate entire fleets/armies, like we saw in this episode.
Yeah, what was it in S3 where Shireen textpositions on how the war of the dragons rekt the Targaryan power, and how putting the dragons in their little coops killed the Targy power (a little more than the Doom of Valyria did). Targaryans had 10 apocalypses a day basically, but had steel that never needed sharpening and dragons of mass destruction, pretty much the only people who ever caused them defeat were taliban dornishmen and the faceless hashashinators, who specialized in killing the people on the dragons rather than face them. Danaerys is a rather odd one out in that she doesn't need the dragons but they certainly speed things up, I find it funny when it's a joke when Illyrio tells Viserys that the people of Westeros are weaving Targy banners for the return of the Targs, yet for Danaerys that's not a joke wherever mhysa goes

That's clearly exactly what they were going for given the Jon/Sansa conversation.
Tfw no battle of the ice where Ramsay gets lured into the ice by Mannis

Also I wonder what's on Stavos's mind. For starters he's found the burninating, and to boot he isn't acting like himself - the normally cautious commander charging his troops in before the Boltons have deployed their full force. I wouldn't chalk it up to shit writing because it seems they've put some more thought into him, only his degenerating language is shite but the character is developing

And to be fair, the Vale horsemen did set out a while ago. They just had to teleport past most chailin, walk across hundre
Didn't Littlefinger establish that he had taken Moat Cailin and that his forces were waiting there when we saw him last?
Littlefinger says he's encamped at Moat Cailin, but we're never shown him taking it. Taking it is militarily impossible from the south, and to attempt a military assault would result in the destruction of most of the Bolton forces - which is why Ramsay has to bring Theon out to convince the Ironborn to surrender. Ramsay's achievement at the Neck is so great that this is what convinces Roose Bolton to make Ramsay a legitimate son, considering that the Ironborn had with a few dozen men and the three towers kept the entire Northern host under Robb Stark and the entire Northern host under Roose Bolton trapped in the south all the whilst under guerilla attacks by the Crannogmen (the same people the Reed siblings were from).
Littlefinger does openly pass through Moat Cailin once, when the Boltons allowed him through in order to create a Bolton-Baelish alliance.
When Roose Bolton garrisons his men at Moat Cailin, what happens afterwards that allows Petyr Baelish to succeed where no invader has ever succeeded before? Dunno, it's not shown. Maybe Littlefinger had people on the inside who let his army through and killed the rest. Maybe the garrison at Moat Caillin didn't get the memo that they were supposed to alert Winterfell when there were thousands of men camping on their doorstep. Maybe there was no garrison because the men stationed there deserted upon the death of spooky loose Roose Bolton. Or it was just an oversight and D&D wanted Valemen above the causeway ASAP. ~o.o~

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I forgot Baelish was allied with the Boltons due to giving them Sansa, that makes it a lot easier. He can camp outside Moat Cailin because it's a friendly fortress, and he could just say "I want to go to Winterfell and help Ramsey in his battle against the Starks" to get through.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH

I forgot Baelish was allied with the Boltons due to giving them Sansa, that makes it a lot easier. He can camp outside Moat Cailin because it's a friendly fortress, and he could just say "I want to go to Winterfell and help Ramsey in his battle against the Starks" to get through.
They wouldn't buy it coming from Littlefinger, especially since Ramsay did not call upon the aid of Petyr Baelish, which would be an immediate red flag indicating that Petyr Baelish has been contacted by the Stark Forces, or is being sent by the Lannisters to take over the North. It's about as likely as the Freys letting anyone pass just because they're "friendly" or the Valemen letting an army through the Bloody Gate because they're "friendly." No one in GOT is naively stupid that doesn't die fast.
On review I think the Boltons legitimately just didn't garrison Moat Caillin. Roose Bolton when he's talking to Ramsay post-Stannis battle talks about how he expects a Lannister army to march north after the Sansa-Ramsay marriage but makes no mention of Moat Caillin, saying he expects to have to fight a fully provisioned and rested Lannister army in a pitched battle. Ramsay remarks that they do not need the backing of all the houses to control the North, only the great Northern houses. This would most importantly mean that the Boltons probably lacked the loyalty of House Reed - fervent Stark loyalists, and so to garrison Moat Caillin would be to subject themselves to constant Crannogmen asymmetrical warfare. Roose would probably be able to see that Moat Caillin would still be worth garrisoning if he was still written as Roose Goose Bolton, but for obvious reasons, Roose isn't calling the shots anymore. Would CIA encamp his army in a marshland? Probably not, so he was probably lying when he told Sansa he was at Moat Caillin, and in reality had already passed Moat Caillin (which had no garrison). This would also allow CIA to arrive in time without having a mass teleportation device
Most likely, D&D just forgot to mention Moat

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Yeah there are a lot of ways you can imagine him getting past. It's just not really worth investing screentime explaining because there are zero relevant characters at or near Moat Cailin.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH

Yeah there are a lot of ways you can imagine him getting past. It's just not really worth investing screentime explaining because there are zero relevant characters at or near Moat Cailin.
It's something worth lampshading, especially given S6's total lack of intrigue

That Sansa is working behind her brother's back out of distrust should be a major thing, so you could up the ante with Sansa sending Brienne down Moat Caillin with a force of 20GOODpods to open the door for CIA (even if none of this is shown on screen, it'd brolly be cooler if you just show Sansa entrusting Brienne with a top sekrit mission and Brienne appears at the BOB)

Otherwise what happens is you create plot holes

Heck, even if they don't go that route, just include a line where Ramsay says "bring all our soldiers to Winterfell" with the inference that even Moat Caillin is emptied, or something along those lines

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile

But seriously, how do you even get a wall of corpses like that? I don't even. Such a thing is only possible if the attackers are determined enough to climb the pile, and either the defenders are stupid enough to climb the other side to meet them on the top, or have enough missiles to kill them at the apex.
The scene didn't really show boltons forces cutting down snows while they clambored over their own kin, and snows attackers weren't archers so I suppose it was just a matter of lets go climb that wall of bodies?
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile

Yeah.

Also, why didn't CIA like, warn the Starks he was coming? For a guy that smart, it's fucking retarded not to coordinate to the point that if his army had been one hour late all his plans would have failed.

I also love how we don't see a single Valeman once they've rekt the phalanx.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile

Because Littlefinger is secretly a D&D wizard using spells of mass teleportation and scrying to ensure he has the best possible leverage. How else would he have known to come in at such a dramatically important moment? It also explains how things nearly always go inexplicably well for him.

That or we go full crossover and he's the Master from Dr. Who
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile

You're saying that little finger is the Miky-Sam counter to danerys?
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Pretty much. Dany arrives with her ironborn horde and horde of ... I'm not sure if it's supposed to be all the dothraki ever or just 4 or 5 khalasars but still a sizeable amount of them and somehow doesn't rape and pillage her way across the seven kingdoms because she mysha must be obey. Littlefinger acquiesces to her rule, slimes his way into her camp, Tyrion has an accident somehow, three episodes later he's somehow sold her to a Children of the Forest brothel and installed Sansa as Queen of the 4 people left alive in Westeros after all the fuckery that's happened to the damn continent. Boom. End series.
Sig! Onol

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile

Ahah. You still have hope that they won't murder Littlefinger's writing.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Murder his writing? What writing? He's a character that figured out how to weaponize his status as a plot device, he doesn't really have any writing to murder.
Sig! Onol
Pages: 1 ... 118 119 [120] 121 122 ... 167