Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Animal Farm & adding animals to a map  (Read 584 times)

OverrideB1

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Coffee-Drinker
    • View Profile
Animal Farm & adding animals to a map
« on: March 14, 2007, 04:29:00 am »

Okay -- I've been trying to get to grips with adding existing animals to a map and I think I've got it. Can someone confirm that it's "just" a matter of adding the required biomes to the descriptions and generating a new map?

Secondly -- I've been wondering about creating an indoor "farm" but I've seen conflicting information about animals breeding in captivity. Can I create a chamber and herd all my animals into there and have them breed instead of having them wandering all over the map?

By the Beards of my Ancestors: There are Elephants inside the fortress. Seems like a good time to lie down right in front of them and... go to sleep
---last words of Cog Ingishontak, legendary Craftsdwarf

Nephilim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Animal Farm & adding animals to a map
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2007, 05:16:00 am »

About the second question: AFAIK that works, but if there are a lot of animals and there's no way for them to get outside they'll probably flood your system with their pathfinding routines trying to find a way out when there is none.
on''t ask for guarantees. And don''t look to be saved in any one thing, person, machine, or library. Do your own bit of saving, and if you drown, at least die knowing you were headed for shore.
--------------------
The fact that a believer is happie

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2007, 05:23:00 pm »

If you add the biome designation and regenerate the entire world, the animals then have a chance of occurring in that biome.  If that have something like the [GOOD] or [EVIL] flag, then they will only appear in those places.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Grek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2007, 01:24:00 am »

They seem to breed just fine if you stick them all in the same cage.

Xashikolauk

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2007, 05:46:00 pm »

Similar question to the OP; can animals breed while in restraints?  Are there similar pathfinding problems with restrained animals?

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2007, 10:21:00 pm »

I've never had animals breed in cages. They will have the next litter if they are already on the way, but after that they stop. They seem to breed ok on chains most of the time, however. And there are no pathfinding issues with chained or caged animals. What I usually do is get me a group of breeders depending on how many births I want and chain them up, then cage all the offspring until I butcher them. It works well. I usually don't get many, since all I use them for is a bit of leather when I need to make backpacks and quivers. However, in most of my recent games I just buy leather from traders and avoid animals - too much hassle.
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

OverrideB1

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Coffee-Drinker
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2007, 03:46:00 am »

So far animals in cages seem to be breeding okay -- although I'm puzzled as to just how the mare in the cage had foals... given that there's no stallion at my fortress yet!

One thing that does bug me, and that is the fact that captured animals (tame or wild) don't seem to breed at all. On the other hand, my Mayor does have this cool pet Chipmunk....  :D

By the Beards of my Ancestors: There are Elephants inside the fortress. Seems like a good time to lie down right in front of them and... go to sleep
---last words of Cog Ingishontak, legendary Craftsdwarf

Eiba

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2007, 08:24:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by OverrideB1:
<STRONG>One thing that does bug me, and that is the fact that captured animals (tame or wild) don't seem to breed at all. On the other hand, my Mayor does have this cool pet Chipmunk....   :D</STRONG>

I had caught a few Rhesus Macaques (four) and by the end of my first year one of them had triplets (it actually said: "Stray Rhesus Macaque (tame) gave birth to triplets")

Of course, shortly thereafter they were all standing outside when an ogre showed up. All seven monkeys piled on to the thing... The ogre ended up with a sprained hip or something, while the monkeys ended up splattered against the cliff face... And so ended my monkey taming experiment.