Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: When will the new version be out?  (Read 1707 times)

Szkeptik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
When will the new version be out?
« on: April 21, 2013, 08:02:25 am »

I'm not familiar with how the update cycle works. Im watching Toady's update posts and Im very excited about all the new stuff he's putting in, but I don't recall any release date info. Is there any information on when the new game version will be released and what Toady wants to put in atill

Emerald Salamander

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: When will the new version be out?
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2013, 08:48:22 am »

I'm fairly certain Toady works on the basis of 'Once its coded and ready to be implemented'. Toady works day through night coding the game so some releases(the bigger ones) can take up to a year. Its really as soon as Toady has coded it, is happy with it and its ready to be put in the game. He also works with Arcs (Millitary arc, caravan arc, economy arc). I'm not too informed on this stuff so don't take my word on this stuff
"Therefore, I implore you, merry band of shit-for-brains midgets, to stop acting like idiots."

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2013, 08:51:05 am »

My guess is mid-late May. After the big release, there'll probably be many smaller ones immediately afterward fixing bugs and adding smaller things, until the next major one comes up.

The releases happen when he feels he's completed most of what is needed in a particular part of the game, and moves on to something new, so there's never a definitive schedule.

Jahsg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2013, 09:18:07 am »

Tldr. When its ready

AlmightyOne

• Bay Watcher
  • You and what lightning fingers???
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2013, 09:36:32 am »

I'm not familiar with how the update cycle works. Im watching Toady's update posts and Im very excited about all the new stuff he's putting in, but I don't recall any release date info. Is there any information on when the new game version will be released and what Toady wants to put in atill
Well if you're getting impatient, I'll advise you, do what I'm doing right now,
Start a fort and try everything you haven't tried before, I'm playing a plus 10 year fort right now I never played one fort for so long...And it made me stop thinking about the new release.

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2013, 09:50:39 am »

Soon(TM)

Em3rgency

• Bay Watcher
  • 13 fortresses and 8 adventurers later...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2013, 12:01:38 pm »

Things come faster if you don't wait for them. Damn you tax day.
A Song of Glacier and Magma: Game of Socks.
Jaime Lannister cancels noble bsns: Needs a helping hand.

Slyjoker87

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2013, 02:20:03 pm »

Well if you're getting impatient, I'll advise you, do what I'm doing right now,
Start a fort and try everything you haven't tried before, I'm playing a plus 10 year fort right now I never played one fort for so long...And it made me stop thinking about the new release.

This. I am currently doing some mega projects to pass the time. The best is trying to build a mega castle with a 10+ story keep. At the top, I am making the most lavish bedroom ever. It's got glass all around and artifact items. So sexy!

Id Utalrisen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2013, 03:39:14 pm »

So just to sum up, there is currently no word on any future updates?

MrSparky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2013, 03:59:31 pm »

That is correct, there is no word on release dates until very shortly before said dates. While this does mean you cannot plan for them it also means they're always released pretty much right on time.

Drazinononda

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm really too normal to play this game so much.`
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2013, 05:33:28 pm »

That is correct, there is no word on release dates until very shortly before said dates. While this does mean you cannot plan for them it also means they're always released pretty much right on time.

Toady is never early, nor is he late. He releases precisely when he means to.
Children you rescue shouldn't behave like rabid beasts.  I guess your regular companions shouldn't act like rabid beasts either.
I think that's a little more impossible than I'm likely to have time for.

geail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2013, 06:18:44 pm »

Toady is never early, nor is he late. He releases precisely when he means to.

And that is why he gave us DF 2012 on Valentine's Day, to show that he loved us.

On topic, there is no real idea when the next one will be released.  Last year, we knew it was getting close, with no date hinted at, then BAM! new version.  The next about 2 months were spent bugfixing and adding minecarts until you get the current version

jonanlsh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2013, 03:54:08 am »

When one man codes, one man can only do so much. But this one man has entertained legions of us for more hours than most other triple-A games out there. God bless Toady, and give the man time, for when the next version is truly ready, it will have been blessed by Armok himself, and we shall be entertained for many more weeks to come.

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2013, 10:28:42 am »

From the way his long-short release cycles have gone, and from the tone of his posts, I expect it to be soon.  And by soon, I mean within the next 4 months.
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2013, 01:10:01 pm »

My spider sense has been tingling lately, I'd guess May or June (and then of course, one immediately after fixing some ridiculous and unpredictable bug)
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?
Pages: [1] 2