Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: What feature(s) would define Dwarf Fortress 1.0 for you?  (Read 1868 times)

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
What feature(s) would define Dwarf Fortress 1.0 for you?
« on: April 20, 2013, 01:55:34 pm »

Exactly as it says on the tin.

What feature or group of features would make you feel that the game is truly complete? (what exactly your definition of 1.0 is I'm leaving up to debate)

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
Re: What feature(s) would define Dwarf Fortress 1.0 for you?
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2013, 02:02:49 pm »

Dwarves talk to their friends when they're upset instead of beating the mayor to death.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Vlad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2013, 02:09:29 pm »

When anything that can happen or that you can do in the real world can happen ingame. So basically when it fully simulates everything that can be done in the real world is when it will be at ver 1.0 for me.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2013, 02:11:32 pm »

Being able to have The Hobbit's entire plot be procedurally generated by modding in orcs and hobbits.

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2013, 02:20:06 pm »

Being able to have The Hobbit's entire plot be procedurally generated by modding in orcs and hobbits.

So apparently, we could even simulate what happened AFTER the Return of the King.

Also, having every world be essentially a parallel universe co-existing with your other worlds that you can visit at (almost) any time.
Cross-world invasions (starring your own dwarves), including a large floating fortress moving through the sky. (magic)

Nimbby

• Bay Watcher
  • One of Them
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2013, 02:54:53 pm »

I agree with Putnam. Epic adventures and unique conflicts would be 1.0 for me, I think magic would be nice, but only as a dynamic to spice up the end game. Once I can go on epic quests and find procedurally generated loot in procedurally generated landmark locations I think I will know it is 1.0.

Slayermaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2013, 03:29:32 pm »

When we can apply the infinite monkey theorem to Dwarf Fortress.

birdy51

• Bay Watcher
  • Always be Beeping
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2013, 03:30:21 pm »

Getting arrested by the local authorities, put on trial, and thrown into jail.

This opposed to be killed by a hundred peasants and their horrible little boning knives because you thought that their chicken was wild... The horror!
BIRDS.

Also started a Let's Play, Yu-Gi-Oh! Duelists of the Roses

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2013, 03:52:27 pm »

Something that much better appropriates my intentions: when all of these are possible.

Em3rgency

• Bay Watcher
  • 13 fortresses and 8 adventurers later...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2013, 05:16:17 pm »

Magic implemented, all races playable in both fortress and adventure mode, more races, another larger "civilization" mode, more procedural text, maybe to the point where you could read an extract of a legendary book, instead of just getting a description of its writing style, everything you can do in fortress mode should be possible with your single dwarf in adventure mode, and obviously everything that is coming in the next release (I'm drooling for it).
« Last Edit: April 20, 2013, 05:18:10 pm by Em3rgency »
A Song of Glacier and Magma: Game of Socks.
Jaime Lannister cancels noble bsns: Needs a helping hand.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2013, 05:33:09 pm »

Non-dwarf races in fortress mode are actually pretty explicitly planned for post 1.0, I think.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2013, 06:14:48 pm »

Cut out the middleman and just have Cat Fortress.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Nyan Thousand

• Bay Watcher
  • It's exactly nyan thousand!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2013, 08:02:20 pm »

Making an Earth gen results in the recreation of world history. At one point a Dwarf named Urist McAdams creates something similar to DF, thus achieving Dwarven singularity.

mross

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2013, 08:19:03 pm »

NPCs being indistinguishable from living beings in adventure mode (natural language, true intelligence, procedural, plausible motivations) - in other words, you should be able to cary on a conversation with an NPC via text and have them react with 100% realism, and this would affect their future interaction with other NPCs. NPCs also converse and interact with each other in a similar manner. NPCs remember, learn, and grow as individuals in the same way as humans.

You can't make a lava tank out of ice or wood. Or a house out of ash. Or a bridge made of soap that's a kilometer long.

Smashing something under a bridge doesn't annihilate its atoms.

Flying creatures don't need a ground path.

Pets can be butchered.

Animals can eat fast enough to avoid starvation.

Dwarves develop a self-preservation instinct.

Dwarves discover that fire can be put out with water.

Dwarves stop being obsessed with laundry.

Battle is dangerous. Consult with your squad leader if you are pregnant or nursing before fighting demons.

Traders are no longer interested in garbage.

This is a legendary statue. Press V to view.

This is a masterful mural by Thikolangelo. Press V to view.

This is a masterful composition by Nadost Beethoven. Press L to listen.

The mountainhome demands to know what is becoming of the immigrants they've sent, and why your outpost hasn't been sending quarterly reports as agreed. A fact-finding expedition has been dispatched to investigate.

The recent death of Baron Thikud has shocked the Dwarven population. They demand justice. A detachment of Dwarven peacekeepers has been deployed to police your fortress.

Your massacre of Elven traders has become an international incident. Your fortress has been sanctioned by the United Kingdoms. A multilateral force of Elves, Dwarves and Humans will arrive at your fortress next month to assassinate you and institute a leader more receptive to democracy.

You have discovered steam power! You have developed calculus! You have discovered electricity! You have discovered the turbine! You have discovered the germ theory of disease! You have discovered general relativity! You have struck uranium!

I don't actually want technology, but it would be neat as an option.

Almost forgot: an interface that doesn't suck.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2013, 08:22:45 pm by mross »

mnjiman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2013, 10:34:18 pm »

These are features that I heard would occur, expect to occur, or would simply make the game not broken:

a) A proper economy that allows clothes and items to be properly distributed throughout the your fortress. Coinage would done through a banking system (or coins automatically condense). There would be various levels of shops that would allows players to either be immersed with shops or not. Better economy would allow more nobles to come.
   - This would also reintroduce shops.
   - Dwarfs how have jobs would have more income.
   - dwarfs that do not have jobs would get enough money to buy food but thats about it.
   - other species will come to buy stuff from your fortress.

b) The ability to war other nations, sending your dwarven armies out against your enemies! When your armies encounter something you have the choice to see your army and help them out, or let them fight automatically. As you fight, your fortress has to do stuff for themselves (if traders come, you already have what items are allowed to be traded that will be handled by certain manager positions).
   - allows you to war, spreading your territory and your wealth.

(ill add more later)

« Last Edit: April 20, 2013, 10:41:14 pm by mnjiman »
I was thinking more along the lines of this legendary champion, all clad in dented and dinged up steel plate, his blood-drenched axe slung over his back, a notch in the handle for every enemy that saw the swing of that blade as the last sight they ever saw, a battered shield strapped over his arm... and a fluffy, pink stuffed hippo hidden discretely in his breastplate.
Pages: [1] 2