Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: You were just named Archmage!  (Read 4964 times)

vastaghen12

• Bay Watcher
  • [BIOME_SUPPORT: ANY_COMPUTER:1]
    • View Profile
Re: You were just named Archmage!
« Reply #30 on: April 19, 2013, 10:18:12 pm »

Buy good mercenaries. And maybe look out for one who knows his history about the war.
Research the location of the site of most dense grave density within three days travel.
Research poisons. Poison multiple meaningless towns. Blame the enemy for murdering them; take the bodies and resurrect them. ((Is anyone aware of our necromantic ways?))

It’s obvious that if you want to fight a war without dying in the first day of the campaign, you should research a little bit into the Ferleon, the war, and well, the world in general; as you haven’t set a foot outside the college for quite some time and your historical knowledge is kind of rusted. Seeking for answers, you start walking to the great library.
The library is, of course, gigantic and filled to the ceiling with scrolls and books. It will sure take you decades to search for all the required information, was it not for the numerous librarians who have spent their entire lives memorizing the information within. You ask one of them about information relating the Ferleon.

Few things are known about the Ferelon, since they traveled to faraway lands after being defeated by the Aljerenian Empire during the First Era. Historical records point out that they are highly resistant to much magic; especially weak to sunlight, which blinds them burns them horribly; and seem very fond of wearing featureless metal masks.  Most interesting is the report of a special weapon of theirs, which had the appearance of a metal pike and had the ability to emit some kind of invisible fire bolt.

Regarding the other civilized races of the world. The dwarves are currently mass migrating to the great mountain homes far to the south, most of the elven city-sates seem to be doing their usual warring and infighting, and the remaining forces of the Aljerenian empire lay scattered due to the sudden death of the Emperor Geralis Mirellanas. It seems that your only remaining allies right now are:  the small army of Delener, the knights from the Order of The White Sun, and of courses all the mages you convince to accompany you.

You also make some researching about good mercenary guilds near the college and nearby necropolea, and find that sell swords from “The Felloship of Bucklers” seem to be more than the average type of grunt that is aviable for hire;  and that there are some prominent ruins near the Twin Peaks. You also take notes on the locations of nearby hamlets, shall you decide to protect them from “accidental” poison attacks.

Dwarf. We use the Roman approach of sending the new soldiers in first, using flaming and earthen barriers to interrupt battles, then giving the survivors enchanted gear to keep the valuable forces alive...
Somehow I doubt the Romans used flaming barriers or enchanted gear.
But we're human? Aw.

Basically, contact everyone and see who's willing to help.

Also, how long do spells like Levitate last?

After much researching, you glance at the window and notice that the court’s sundial indicates night has fallen. Pleased from the results of your investigation, you return to you recently acquired archmage chambers and start writing drafts of the letters you should  be sending in the next following days, they are currently directed to the elven city-state of Iliea and the dwarven mountain hall  of Orrosk, you need to search for more "oficial" allies.

It appears to be pretty late.

Spoiler: You (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Spells (click to show/hide)

Out of character: (levitate lasts enough time for you to actually get bored of floating all over the place; unluckily you only levitate at about two feet from the ground.)
« Last Edit: April 20, 2013, 01:48:15 pm by vastaghen12 »

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 19, 2013, 11:04:56 pm »

Instruct the stablemaster to have your horse ready for tomorrow. Send the letters off.

Go to sleep. See if there are any mages at breakfast who you think you may be able to convince to accompany you on your suicide mission.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 19, 2013, 11:08:18 pm »

Levitate. Levitate now. Levitate until it is boring. Levitate more.

How long would a detour through elven or dwarven lands take? Can we leave early?

Lobby for access to the city's graves, better to use them now to hold the pass than to save them for some flimsy defence of the city.

Try to contact dead dwarves in an effort to gain leverage with their people.

Send letters to all the elven lords citing the usual unity in the face of doom line. Imply that some of the elven nations have already joined your cause.

Hire some of the experienced mercenaries and send them ahead with some parts and labour to assist with the fortification of the pass.

P.S.
 The Romans made extensive use of constructions, if those constructions happen to spring out of the ground at our whim, and there happens to be a fire in front of it, then so much the better. But there is little point in worrying about what might have been...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 19, 2013, 11:11:16 pm »

Ok maybe he's making assumptions but you sorta have to.

The general gist of his thing is: get allies.
Precisely. The general idea is to contact everyone we can.
The elves thing was a bit...DF-specific, but we can just leave out the last claim if I'm wrong.

Research poisons. Poison multiple meaningless towns. Blame the enemy for murdering them; take the bodies and resurrect them. ((Is anyone aware of our necromantic ways?))
NO. And yes, they are.

How do we regain MP?
Also, sleep.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 19, 2013, 11:18:28 pm »

I say an easier stragety is to visit the elves and dwarves, raid their prisons, and build a proper one of these! http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ArmyOfThievesAndWhores

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 19, 2013, 11:20:10 pm »

Step One: Conjure ourself at the moment before we conjured ourself. Step Two: Throw at enemy.

Gervassen

• Bay Watcher
  • Be aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 19, 2013, 11:26:44 pm »

The library is, of course, gigantic and filled to the ceiling with scrolls and books. It will sure take you decades to search for all the required information, was it not for the numerous libertarians who have spent their entire lives memorizing the information within.

I knew that Ayn Rand was a prolific writer, but an entire library filled with her works? Amazing!
The way's paved with knaves that I've horribly slain.
See me coming, better run for them hills.
Listen up now...

-- Babycakes

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 20, 2013, 12:46:15 am »

Hire mercenaries, and the knights. Try and convince the mages to come along with you- but keep more focus on the knights and mercenaries, after all armored people are certainly better for necromantic use.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 20, 2013, 01:44:50 am »

Maybe, it probably takes more energy to animate something to carry armour, probably slower too. You want good fast undead, you start with animate skeleton and have them swarm folk. While folk are busy you cobble together a flesh golem. While that is keeping them busy you gather all the shattered skeletons and stick them together to get a skeletal horror. Once that has been reduced to dust you infuse the bone-dust/soil combination with enough energy to create an animate grave-yard. Armour would just get in the way...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 20, 2013, 02:39:45 am »

ptw

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 20, 2013, 08:36:55 am »

Maybe, it probably takes more energy to animate something to carry armour, probably slower too. You want good fast undead, you start with animate skeleton and have them swarm folk. While folk are busy you cobble together a flesh golem. While that is keeping them busy you gather all the shattered skeletons and stick them together to get a skeletal horror. Once that has been reduced to dust you infuse the bone-dust/soil combination with enough energy to create an animate grave-yard. Armour would just get in the way...
I'm not sure about the exact progression, but seeing as most armor was made to let humans survive longer by protecting human weak points and weaknesses, it's questionable how much armor would help.

Of course, our living minions troops would need armor, but they're probably in the minority.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 20, 2013, 10:01:13 am »

Zombies may not have organs, but it's not like their body structures suddenly morph into those of starfish. Armor will still be useful in stalling the enemy from killing them.

Sorcerer Kail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 20, 2013, 11:36:52 am »

Even if our zombies are super tough, giving them padded armor and optionally metal armor(for proper protection)- on top would greatly improve their endurance to hits. Not only they would be resistant by definition, but hits to them would be weaker.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 20, 2013, 01:07:12 pm »

Well, before I respond I have to understand how killing zombies works.

And I'm A. not restricting myself to zombies (zombies and their ilk happen to be the only undead who would benefit from armor) and B. assuming that we have very limited resources which we should spend where it will do the most good.
Sig

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 20, 2013, 01:10:34 pm »

Let's gather corpses, bones, etc. and pile them into a caravan to take to the North.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4