Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 60 61 [62] 63 64 ... 84

Author Topic: Witches' Coven: In the Heart of Darkness [GAME OVER: 4/13]  (Read 201101 times)

birdy51

• Bay Watcher
  • Always be Beeping
    • View Profile
Re: Witches' Coven: In the Heart of Darkness [D3: 10/13]
« Reply #915 on: September 09, 2013, 10:01:48 pm »

birdy51, Hapah, Solifuge: please come in here and vote for the claimed mafia member.  It would be stupid if the town allowed itself to be outvoted by the mafia and a flailing third-party.

Please do not tell me which way to vote. I will be voting, but I need to come to that decision myself. Especially given the fact that I need to hear from my brother first.
BIRDS.

Also started a Let's Play, Yu-Gi-Oh! Duelists of the Roses

lordnincompoop

• Bay Watcher
  • Allusionist
    • View Profile
« Reply #916 on: September 10, 2013, 12:41:24 am »

Solifuge has been prodded a third time, and has activated the Anti-Lurk System.

He will be modkilled if he doesn't post by day-end, assuming no extends.

Hapah

• Bay Watcher
  • The nice guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #917 on: September 10, 2013, 01:40:26 am »

Hoped to brush this up a bit more, but it's late so it'll have to do.

Here's the thing.  Let's imagine that, against all probability and common sense, Toaster is actually telling the truth.  Let's say we go along with what he says and kills all the townies.

What incentive does he have to go for the difficult win condition that requires him to trust the shamans and risks having the game time out?  He would instead go for his standard mafia win condition.
Is anyone seriously advocating this besides Leng? I hope I wasn't misunderstood: I think chancing everything on the "Magic is Friendship" club singing circle is madness. However, I think lynching him right away is reckless and wasteful: our short-term goals are compatible, and the Witch has tools that we could use to our advantage.

Looking at past WC games, I'm still inclined to think the witches are the "red herring" (scum)team.
From the bit I've learned I'm in agreement. The rift seems to be getting angrier either with time or with Witch lynches (see spoiler'd text below for references). I'm starting to wonder if this Papal army is actually what it claims as well; as the text from the Bull references the Rhine river valley and we're about as far off from that as you could get while still being in France (I've not a clue what I could do about it if they are here for some other purpose, though). The witches also likely aren't the cause of the town's troubles, for what that's worth: the problems apparently date back for quite some time, and if NQT is to be believed the Witches have only been here for a matter of days. It's a few little things pointing in that direction, and I doubt it's all a coincidence. Tir had a post with a couple of the resources that I'll try to dig up (PPE: here)

Toony: What'd you whisper to your guard in the D1 opener?

Toaster: Not to be a nag, but what can you tell me of Shamans? Where do they come from? Do they Borrow as Witches do? Are they born into it? Are they just created out of thin air?

Spoiler: Text! (click to show/hide)

Assertion 1: Toaster is telling the truth
just trust me here, toaster isn't lying.
You're asking for a lot of trust and raising a lot of questions in the process. How do you "just know"?

No.  The actual witch plan is "Lynch all townies, win, laugh at how stupid the townies were afterwards".  But the backup plan is "Lynch the guy who isn't the reviver so we can buy more time and keep reviving our own guys" (I already stated the witch revive may have unlimited uses).
What good would buying time do? If all are identified and they've got no kill how would they ever catch up?
I can't be expected to remember the names of everyone I've tried to stab.

Bored? Go read the EVE Chronicles.

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #918 on: September 10, 2013, 01:48:48 am »

Toony: What'd you whisper to your guard in the D1 opener?
Answered D1, he was warning his wife of the inquisitors, telling them to hole up.

Assertion 1: Toaster is telling the truth
just trust me here, toaster isn't lying.
You're asking for a lot of trust and raising a lot of questions in the process. How do you "just know"?
that request there was directed to Leaf specifically, because his ability to read people instead of situations is laughable. basically what's going on is my instincts. for anyone but Leafsnail I suggest you trust your own rather than rely on mine.
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #919 on: September 10, 2013, 08:47:02 am »

Is anyone seriously advocating this besides Leng? I hope I wasn't misunderstood: I think chancing everything on the "Magic is Friendship" club singing circle is madness. However, I think lynching him right away is reckless and wasteful: our short-term goals are compatible, and the Witch has tools that we could use to our advantage.
What "short term goals"?  Our goal is to eliminate witches.  His goal is to eliminate us.  There is absolutely no compatibility.  If you're worried about the rift opening I don't see how prolonging the game and assisting our opposition is going to help with that - we probably have to win the co-operation of the shamans to stop bad things from happening on that front, and it would be much easier to negotiate from a position of strength (eg, with two witches dead) than one of weakness (eg, we're about to to be outnumbered by the witches and we're allowing them to walk all over us).  Since third-parties will generally want to win favour with the team that has control over the game.

What good would buying time do? If all are identified and they've got no kill how would they ever catch up?
They could win on a game timeout.  Considering Toaster is advocating a plan that takes a minimum of 8 or so days to execute, I don't think that is overly unlikely.  There's also a chance that the remaining third parties could assist them.  Both of these prospects would be better for them than "get our revival guy lynched today".

Then again, if Lenglon a third-party this is all irrelevant.

Shakerag

• Bay Watcher
  • Just here for the schadenfreude.
    • View Profile
« Reply #920 on: September 10, 2013, 10:58:32 am »

Okay, it's clear this is going nowhere fast.  Clearly even if Toaster is telling 100% complete truth and the witches would be our BFFs we can't get everyone on board. 

I'm rapidly approaching "bored to tears and I don't even care who wins just let something happen" levels.  I don't know if Leafsnail is town.  Hell, I think he might even be anti-town.  But at least he's being persuasive and trying to Get Something Done so I'm going to throw in with him.

Toaster
shorten

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #921 on: September 10, 2013, 12:07:45 pm »

Shorten
there's nothing more to be said. either we go for the global win or the town win. I know what I want but I can't "prove" that we can trust our nominal enemies so...
yeah.
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #922 on: September 10, 2013, 02:36:49 pm »

Shorten- we're pretty damn efficient witch hunters and if you're all worried about the rift then just move to Paris for the spring.

birdy51

• Bay Watcher
  • Always be Beeping
    • View Profile
« Reply #923 on: September 10, 2013, 03:10:17 pm »

Considering Solifuge's silence... I have no reason not to lynch the confirmed witch. What happens tonight will define tomorrow, so let's just get this show onto the road so we have some new material to work with.

Toaster

Shorten
BIRDS.

Also started a Let's Play, Yu-Gi-Oh! Duelists of the Roses

Shakerag

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #924 on: September 10, 2013, 03:16:04 pm »

Shorten- we're pretty damn efficient witch hunters and if you're all worried about the rift then just move to Paris for the spring.
Oh yes, look at us lynching the claimed witch.  Pats on the back all around. 

-_-

lordnincompoop

• Bay Watcher
  • Allusionist
    • View Profile
« Reply #925 on: September 10, 2013, 03:32:38 pm »

BTW shortens are useless at this stage since I won't be able to end this until... Very late on Wednesday. Possibly Thursday. I know it's been a long game Day and I'm sorry to stretch it out further, but I have a million things on my plate and I have to ace every single one if I want a shot at where I want to go.

Hapah

• Bay Watcher
  • The nice guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #926 on: September 10, 2013, 03:38:49 pm »

PFP

I still think you're all goddamned fools. You're squandering a valuable resource! You're killing the one person who could possibly get answers from LNCP about magic-related stuff and he doesn't even have any fangs. But you lot have made your opinion clear enough, and it doesn't look like there's anything I can do to change your minds.

I almost hope that after the last Witch is lynched the Inquisitor goes "There at still malefactors in your midst, so the trials will continue lololol"

PPE: Well at least Toaster might be able to answer a couple of questions now
I can't be expected to remember the names of everyone I've tried to stab.

Bored? Go read the EVE Chronicles.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #927 on: September 10, 2013, 04:31:19 pm »

I almost hope that after the last Witch is lynched the Inquisitor goes "There at still malefactors in your midst, so the trials will continue lololol"
"This is not a full-out Bastard Mod. By this I mean that I will not, at any point in the game, lie to you or break your trust in me"
And the town wincon is, as we've already established, witch elimination.  I have a feeling that there may be a twist that makes that harder to achieve, but we know for sure that it is a win condition.

Also, if we do need to get information from the witches, it would probably be easier to strong-arm his buddy into giving it tomorrow.  Toaster can still act coy because he has a living buddy.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #928 on: September 10, 2013, 04:42:12 pm »

Day 1, 3rd party; day 2, witch; day 3, witch. No mislynches. Sure we haven't had to be super geniuses but I don't see why you're so flat faced. Or is this not good for your wincon?

Shakerag

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #929 on: September 10, 2013, 04:54:54 pm »

Day 1, 3rd party; day 2, witch; day 3, witch. No mislynches. Sure we haven't had to be super geniuses but I don't see why you're so flat faced. Or is this not good for your wincon?
Fair enough; I was only taking today into consideration.
Pages: 1 ... 60 61 [62] 63 64 ... 84