Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Dwarves steal from caravans?  (Read 2239 times)

Meme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dwarves steal from caravans?
« on: April 19, 2013, 03:49:02 pm »

My first elven caravan came for this fortress. When I looked at my jobs list however I saw a huge amount of store in hospital jobs. As I found out they we're taking the cloth and thread from the ELVES without paying and without the elves caring. Is this normal?

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarves steal from caravans?
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2013, 03:51:20 pm »

Those are some fine, fine dwarves you have there.

Meme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2013, 03:52:32 pm »

And I think the local kea's just stripped one of my dwarves bare by stealing all his clothes while taking the cloth...

Fishybang

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2013, 04:03:59 pm »

Yeah, ive had this happen alot before, it happened for the humans also.
Quote from: AustralianWinter
Rakust finished her design - a skirt called "Clambreaks". I am not touching the woman, ever. And I'm not talking to her either.

PDF urist master

• Bay Watcher
  • Born from cold iron
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2013, 08:02:16 pm »

so, do you want to stop this or encourage this (if that's possible)
We are not evil by choice, but evil by necessity.

KroganElite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2013, 09:28:43 pm »

It's a known bug. Placing even one container in a hospital will make dwarves take cloth/thread from ANYWHERE and fill up that container regardless of set caps.

King Mir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2013, 10:27:32 pm »

In my experience setting the cap to 0 seems to prevent the behavior.

lue

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:missing right bracket
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2013, 10:39:38 pm »

From what I remember, having the hospital not require any cloth works. What I've done in the past is leave the cap at 0 and have a cloth stockpile close by. You might be able to set the cap to some non-zero value until you've got enough cloth in the hospital's containers, and then set the cap back to 0, but I don't know if this would work.

By the way, if you aren't already aware of all the bugs hospitals currently have, it would be worth checking out the bugs section on the wiki's hospital page.
Post not guaranteed accurate or pristine for all of time.
Sigtext. Enticing, yes? If you do not know where things I have "sigged" go, this page will explain.

Giver99

• Bay Watcher
  • self destruct..5..4..3..2..1..Oops
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2013, 11:52:01 pm »

somthing like this happend to  me but it was a dwarfen caravan and my dwafs where starving and only taking food
Oop's Wrong Lever!

Astrid

• Bay Watcher
  • This is a text.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2013, 02:42:41 am »

I stock my hospital up like that when an elven caravan arrives. They dont seem to care much about it.
And i dont mind it at all. I prefer good filled hospitals, so.

Hurkyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2013, 06:51:34 am »

As far as I can tell, the issue with hospitals is simply this: if the hospital realizes it isn't fully stocked, there is room in the containers in the hospital, and there are materials on the map and there is an idle dwarf, then it triggers a job to move that material to the hospital.

Note, in particular, that existing jobs to stock the hospital are not accounted for. (and also that ownership of the material isn't either)

If you don't have many idle dwarfs, then you can avoid drastically overstocking your hospital by setting the cloth/thread limits to allow more material, and then monitor the job menu; as soon as you see dwarves take the "bring item to hosptial" job, set the limits back down to 0 so further jobs aren't generated.

MattStriker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2013, 07:56:29 am »

So...they're putting dwarven lives above trade?

What is wrong with these dorfs?!?

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2013, 09:28:36 am »

Dwarven lives above trade with elves. Think about that one for a minute.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Mohreb el Yasim

• Bay Watcher
  • ♫♪♫♫♪♫♪♪♫♪
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2013, 01:38:25 am »

So...they're putting dwarven lives above trade?
normal dwarfs put party/marriage/break/eating/sleaping/drinking/another party/a second breac/anything else
above trade, so you migth find yourself with a dedicated (really, he is not) broker to miss a trade caravan or two :D
« Last Edit: April 23, 2013, 01:41:50 am by Mohreb el Yasim »
Mohreb el Yasim

GENERATION 24:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experime

fractalman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2013, 01:59:34 am »

I thought that bug was patched?
...you can always just throw a bunch of cattallow, plump helmet, or cheese roasts at the traders to make up for the cloth your dwarves took.  as long as the traders leave with more dwarfbucks than they came with, they'll be fine. 
This is a masterwork ledger.  It contains 3719356 pages on the topic of the precise number and location of stones in Spindlybrooks.  In the text, the dwarves are hauling.
"And here is where we get the undead unicorns. Stop looking at me that way, you should have seen the zombie deer running around last week!"
Pages: [1] 2