Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fortification Windows to uncover Vampires?  (Read 1479 times)

Footman04

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Fortification Windows to uncover Vampires?
« on: April 19, 2013, 12:01:50 pm »

I have an idea.

Dwarves often walk through the blocks of rooms I've made while going to other places. Would they see through fortification windows carved in rooms? If they walk past a vampire in the process of feeding inside, would it be reported?

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
Re: Fortification Windows to uncover Vampires?
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2013, 12:45:48 pm »

Yes, though they still have to walk fairly close to see.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Footman04

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2013, 02:36:27 pm »

Yes, though they still have to walk fairly close to see.

My hallways are three tiles wide. Is that too much?

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2013, 03:47:16 pm »

You should be fine, especially if you turn the whole wall between the bedroom and the hallway into fortifications instead of just a single tile.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2013, 04:39:34 pm »

While more labour intensive, windows are much more aesthetically pleasing while also providing line of sight. I would suggest using green glass windows.
Come and be amazed by this wonderful menagerie! Draw your own! Bring your favorite! The [Forgotten Beast Art Contest] is open for business!
Now also available - [The Legendary Artifact Art Contest]! It menaces! It has rings! It has craftsdwarfship!
I have a [YouTube] channel! It has Let's Plays and other stuff.

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2013, 05:57:46 pm »

Windows also increase room value, more so than fortifications I would imagine.

JimboM12

• Bay Watcher
  • Dank.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2013, 11:18:46 am »

I don't know if it increases value, but using fortifications as windows means if your fort is ever breached, you can order your marksdwarfs into the rooms and barricade the doors and use the rooms as makeshift bunkers!. Also I second the green glass windows for value increasing if you're serious. But come on, imagine an undead siege breaking in and having a recreation of, like, every zombie movie ever.
Pemmican is pretty incredibly durable. Corn and rice also lust forever without refrigeration.
Ah yes, the insatiable lust of corn and rice, clearly two of the most erotic foods.

DWC

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2013, 03:52:58 pm »

I've been doing this fort a while, I always carve fortifications into workshops and bedrooms mostly so that failed moods can be locked into their shops and safely be shot to death. Also so that I can see into them when I'm touring the place in adventure mode.

I thought about giving everyone the hunting labor and making a burrow setting, so if the outer defenses are breached, dorfs will hole up in the shops and bedrooms and open fire from behind the locked doors and fortifications.

Kaos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2013, 08:10:55 pm »

Make bedrooms with a floor grate right on top of the bed tile, use the level above bedrooms as your main corridors, so dwarves walking on the corridors will keep watch on the beds and sleeping dwarves down through the grates they are walking on.

HavingPhun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2013, 11:22:30 pm »

This is actually a very amazing idea. So many benefits. Now I want to make a zombie survival fortress.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2013, 02:46:44 am »

Fortifications really can be immensely helpful in identifying vampires; if in order to pull a lever dwarves must pass fortifications with undead behind them, only vampires will walk past and pull the lever. So, if you want to trap your vampire, temporarily shut down your fortress and order many, many levers be pulled in a given room, which can only be accessed through a single corridor displaying many horrible zombies. Only the vampire will pass into the lever room, and then you can lock them in.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

doublestrafe

• Bay Watcher
  • [PONY_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2013, 04:03:25 am »

Fortifications really can be immensely helpful in identifying vampires; if in order to pull a lever dwarves must pass fortifications with undead behind them, only vampires will walk past and pull the lever. So, if you want to trap your vampire, temporarily shut down your fortress and order many, many levers be pulled in a given room, which can only be accessed through a single corridor displaying many horrible zombies. Only the vampire will pass into the lever room, and then you can lock them in.
I would feel more comfortable about this if I hadn't seen my dwarves' uncanny ability to run exactly the wrong direction.

Maybe if the lever was still within sight of the zombies, I guess.

Kaos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2013, 05:13:29 pm »

Actually that's quite clever|  :D

Footman04

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2013, 07:16:11 pm »

I don't know if this was related to it, but I did catch the vampire. It was the mayor, who is now chained in the jail for more than two years.