Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Traderiver: Tale of the Abandoned Merchants  (Read 905 times)

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
Traderiver: Tale of the Abandoned Merchants
« on: April 19, 2013, 03:47:12 am »

The small galley would not budge. The mud of the riverbank held it firmly in place, and even if the seven wayward merchants could get it free, none of them knew how to sail. The three crewmen had taken the dingy, and rowed back upstream as soon as possible, leaving their passengers stranded.
“Y’know,” started one of the merchants. “We could probably figure out to sail it ourselves, and we’d get to that new dwarven fortress eventually.”
“It’s not worth it.” said another. “I don’t like those cramped caves anyway. They all smell like smoke and sweat. And all they ever trade with us is random stone rings and spiky wooden balls.”
“What should we do, then?” asked a third. “Go home? Good joke.”
“We’ll stay here.” Everyone turned to look at the scrawny, chocolate-haired woman. Her name was Cassar, and was the self-styled leader of the disorganised traders. “There’s lots of trees here. We have lots of food, and the river is fresh and clean. There’s seven of us, too. Isn’t that the traditional number or whatever that the dwarves start new outposts with?” The others murmured in agreement. They could see the lush, green foliage all around them. They could see the berries, the deer, the trees, the river. It was a good place, but only Cassar seemed to look on it as a new home.
Or maybe she saw this place as though it could become her home. That she could make it her home.

OK, here goes. I embarked on a 3x3 map with a 30-tile wide river in the middle. There's also a six z-level aquifer in the first stone layer, no metals of any description, and the site is smothered in trees.
I modded in humans to be a playable race. (this seems to have also removed Adventure mode, but never mind) I fixed the problem with human nobles, but I just copied and pasted from the Dwarf entity.
My goal is to build a human fortress. Above ground. I'll use soil layers for cellars and such, and maybe underground farming if I want. I'm going for an unwalled town design, with a big bridge across the river as a major project. I'll post updates here periodically.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
Re: Traderiver: Tale of the Abandoned Merchants
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2013, 08:37:52 pm »

Diary of Cassar Reinales, 13 Granite 93
I think we’re on the right track here. I’ve been cutting down trees, and the others have been assembling a house, gathering fruit and exploring the countryside. We’ve got a big pile of logs, and a bigger pile of food. Soon I’ll get someone to start keeping track of everything. But before then, we need to cut down some more trees.
Apparently my house is complete, so I’ll move in there now. A new, bigger house is being set up, along with a bunch of tables and chairs. Jasro wants to make it into a tavern. Sure, why not.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.