Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Training doctors  (Read 1777 times)

Someone1214

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Training doctors
« on: April 18, 2013, 03:18:33 pm »

Do any of you know some ways to give dwarves injuries that aren't lethal or permanently disabling to train doctors?

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
Re: Training doctors
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2013, 03:29:13 pm »

The methods outlined in this thread work just as well for training doctors as for combating skill rust.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2013, 04:19:18 pm »

Dropping idlers/nobles a few z-levels with a bridge every so often is the gist of it.

Do NOT drop someone repeatedly through Z-levels, they'll break both their legs and get an infection, and leave blood splatter everywhere.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

Marceline

• Bay Watcher
  • meow meow meow meow
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2013, 05:03:44 pm »

injuries that aren't lethal or permanently disabling
What are you, some kind of elf?

Build some upright spikes scattered around high traffic corridors in your fort and randomly turn them on every couple of weeks.

CapnUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Sure, it's safe to drink!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2013, 05:40:05 pm »

Build some upright spikes scattered around high traffic corridors in your fort and randomly turn them on every couple of weeks.

Or build a timed logic system that turns them on at a set schedule. Or a random one!
"My doctor says I have a malformed public duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fiber [...] and that I am therefore excused from saving Universes."

Someone1214

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2013, 06:37:09 pm »

Or build a timed logic system that turns them on at a set schedule. Or a random one!

How would you build a random one?

Zanthra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2013, 07:07:36 pm »

How would you build a random one?

Penned animal + pressure plate?  Bigger the pen, more average time between activation.

mobucks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2013, 10:39:08 pm »

I just double the XP gain for the medical professions by adding

[SKILL_LEARN_RATE:DRESS_WOUNDS:200]
   [SKILL_LEARN_RATE:DIAGNOSE:200]
   [SKILL_LEARN_RATE:SURGERY:200]
   [SKILL_LEARN_RATE:SET_BONE:200]
   [SKILL_LEARN_RATE:SUTURE:200]

to dwarves in creature_standard.txt

Yeah it's cheaty as hell but it's not like you can set doctors to train/R all day to get legendary in a year.

Someone1214

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2013, 06:27:47 am »

I did the bridge drop thing. As an added bonus, the drop ends right next to the dining room, so eating dwarves get to watch the spectacle of their friends and relatives falling several z-levels to fracture important limbs, bleed all over the place and pass out from pain. All with the knowledge that they might be next!