Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Vampire mayor logistics  (Read 2040 times)

doublestrafe

• Bay Watcher
  • [PONY_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
Vampire mayor logistics
« on: April 18, 2013, 02:52:42 pm »

So, same old story, locked up a vampire, they made him mayor. I got to thinking about this, and I realized that, now that I have a baron to talk to the liaison for me, I should just let him continue to be mayor and ignore him--he'll make mandates, nobody will do them, they'll get charged with violation of production orders, and, since I refuse to create a justice system (justice is not dwarfy!), they'll get happy thoughts about not being punished. The only consequence I can see for this is that the vampire will go insane. Then I realized--will he stop being mayor if he's nuts?

I guess the question is twofold: do I need to keep Mayor Fangface sane, and if so, will installing a water torture feature in his locked room be enough?

PDF urist master

• Bay Watcher
  • Born from cold iron
    • View Profile
Re: Vampire mayor logistics
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2013, 05:23:08 pm »

a problem is that the mayor is dependent on how many friends and ppl you know. the more guys a dwarf knows, the better the dwarf's chance of being mayor. if you lock him up, eventually some other bastard's gonna get way more friends and be mayor.
We are not evil by choice, but evil by necessity.

CapnUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Sure, it's safe to drink!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2013, 05:37:33 pm »

a problem is that the mayor is dependent on how many friends and ppl you know. the more guys a dwarf knows, the better the dwarf's chance of being mayor. if you lock him up, eventually some other bastard's gonna get way more friends and be mayor.

That eventually depends on how fast the dwarves in the fort die. So it could be many years before enough dwarves die off to bring in a new mayor. I have my vampire mayor enclosed in a pyramid (more to keep him from eating children than anything) and he's remained mayor despite his conviction of three murders for four years.
"My doctor says I have a malformed public duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fiber [...] and that I am therefore excused from saving Universes."

Caldemar

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2013, 05:38:21 pm »

I can also say that I had a mayor who went insane (Either that or an expedition leader...don't remember) and they lost all their noble positions upon going mad.

Cannot say if your water features would prevent it...if nothing else they would make it take longer.  You may as well make them a manager as well.  After all, they can do that in isolation as long as they an office.

Mentalpatient87

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2013, 06:07:07 pm »

Can a vampire conduct meetings across a 1 tile wide pit?
Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow dwarf is either a fool or a coward. Whoever can not take care of themself without that law is both. For a wounded dwarf shall say to his assailant, "If I live, I will kill you. If I die, you are forgiven." Such is the rule of honor.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2013, 06:18:01 pm »

Nope, they would have to be able to path to eachother.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Jervill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2013, 06:55:50 pm »

Hopefully doublestrafe has a baron (or higher) noble who can conduct meetings if necessary.

doublestrafe

• Bay Watcher
  • [PONY_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2013, 07:47:32 pm »

Hopefully doublestrafe has a baron (or higher) noble who can conduct meetings if necessary.
Like I said, yeah, I've got a baron now, so meetings aren't a problem.

I don't think that's true at all. My vampire knows nobody except as passing acquaintances, but he has the highest social skills of all my dwarves, and he's been reelected twice now.

I can also say that I had a mayor who went insane (Either that or an expedition leader...don't remember) and they lost all their noble positions upon going mad.

Cannot say if your water features would prevent it...if nothing else they would make it take longer.  You may as well make them a manager as well.  After all, they can do that in isolation as long as they an office.
So it's just a question of keeping him sane. I could give him a very small room full of almost-as-nice-as-the-baron things, so no matter where he stands he has something to admire, plus the waterworks. Plus I guess I could do a mandate now and then if I really wanted to be nice.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2013, 07:59:44 pm »

I don't think that's true at all. My vampire knows nobody except as passing acquaintances, but he has the highest social skills of all my dwarves, and he's been reelected twice now.

This coincides with my observations as well.  Using Runesmith in .31.25 I could bump someone's social skills up to legendary and they'd get elected mayor regardless of how many friends they have.

As for keeping him sane, yeah, I think he needs to be sane to be mayor.  It probably wouldn't be that hard to keep him sane even with missed mandates and demands though.  I think the happiness hit for those is small enough that he wouldn't lose it, even with the lack of happy thoughts from sources like talking to friends.  A mist generator would almost certainly be enough to keep him sane.

Do note however that if he's not interacting with others, his social skills may end up getting surpassed by someone else eventually, and he'll probably lose the mayor election then.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

PDF urist master

• Bay Watcher
  • Born from cold iron
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2013, 08:16:14 pm »

in one of my new forts, i checked the noble screen and saw that my mayor lacked everything he needed (i only give rooms to nobles)

turns out he lost the election. this is four year fort and my mayor didn't die. he became a miller

so i'm guessing there's random elections every once in a while.

PDF urist master

• Bay Watcher
  • Born from cold iron
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2013, 08:17:09 pm »

oh and i don't believe he's gone mad. haven't had tantrum spiral yet...

KroganElite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2013, 09:19:10 pm »

Make him your eternal manager/record keeper. He will eventually be legendary in both.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2013, 09:34:28 pm »

The solution to the "conversation skills" issue is to vampify another dwarf of the opposing gender, and drop them inside with the vampy mayor. (Various methods exist to accomplish this goal.)

Since both are vamps, they won't eat each other, and will instead just stand around inside their fancy oubliette chatting it up.  This will ensure that one or the other of them will be elected mayor every election cycle. Just re-assign the room if the other vamp gets elected, and keep them both inside.

It's a shame that vamps cant/won't marry, because a married couple automatically have shared goodies, removng the need to switch assignees on a failed election.

Mentalpatient87

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2013, 09:38:30 pm »

Nope, they would have to be able to path to eachother.

Crap in a hat.. Can you replace a baron if yours dies in a bizarre accident? I made a bad choice.
Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow dwarf is either a fool or a coward. Whoever can not take care of themself without that law is both. For a wounded dwarf shall say to his assailant, "If I live, I will kill you. If I die, you are forgiven." Such is the rule of honor.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2013, 09:48:37 pm »

In previous versions, you could get new barons, etc.

In the current one I am not so sure.

I do have an idea on how to trick the game into giving you two barons though:

An outpost liason that cannot reach the fortress will stand around outside like a moron. So, you let them in until you get the request to make a baron. Decline. Now we block the inflow of the liasons, and keep them penned up outside the fortress, until more than one of them are present. Both will offer to make barons, because one hasn't been picked yet. Let one in, and pick the baron. Let him leave. Let the other in, and pick a different baron, and let him leave.  The conversation with the second liason must conclude before the first one leaves the map. It may be necessary to box in the first liason until this occurs.

I haven't tested this, but I believe it would work, after observing some curious behavior after accidental liason entrapment. (He spawned on the map on a narrow ledge, with a tree in the way.) Releasing him initiated the conversation to pick barons, after JUST refusing it from the other.

It would be interesting to see if both selected dwarves will be promoted.
Pages: [1] 2