Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: space fortress?  (Read 1638 times)

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
space fortress?
« on: April 17, 2013, 06:35:42 pm »

i know DF is a niche on its own but, will we ever see an ascii game with elements for example, of Dwarf Fortress and Prospector?, i found a project called "Infiniverse" it was an space roguelike but looks like the autor abandoned it (unfortunatelly). the idea remains at least, i hope to see something like that in the future...

jakeread1

• Bay Watcher
  • Maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan, I got this.
    • View Profile
Re: space fortress?
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2013, 03:40:29 pm »

Pretty sure this is the wrong board to post this question.
New Character awaits a epic black vs hood black vs straight up black fight!
http://www.youtube.com/user/jakeread1 <----- that there is my youtube channel!

Jboy2000000

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello good people of the interwebs!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2013, 03:44:30 pm »

No, technically DF is a Curses project, so we can talk about it here. I can't say anyone will know but still.
"Wanna be a better liberal? Go get shot in the fuckin' face."

Just goes to show, even a Male Doctor that Looks Like a Female and a Criminal with Poor Hygiene Habits can fall in love.

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jonathansfox.com/
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2013, 07:21:41 pm »

No, technically DF is a Curses project, so we can talk about it here. I can't say anyone will know but still.

Even more technically it's not a Curses project, it's just styled to look similar. Dwarf Fortress renders using 3D graphics libraries, rather than through a console. That's why it can have graphics. My own ZSS is similar in that regard.

It doesn't bother me any, but you might have better luck asking in the Other Games section, which gets more traffic.

ff2

• Bay Watcher
  • The Occasional Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2013, 09:36:03 pm »

Posted accidently
« Last Edit: April 18, 2013, 09:40:25 pm by ff2 »

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2013, 05:36:30 pm »

Dwarf Fortress renders using 3D graphics libraries, rather than through a console.
That's the oddest thing I heard about DF, since I learned some guys were making a 'game of life' out of pups ans canals.  :o
why render in 3d something that never has more than 2 dimensions, ever?
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2013, 06:32:42 pm »

That's the oddest thing I heard about DF, since I learned some guys were making a 'game of life' out of pups ans canals.  :o
why render in 3d something that never has more than 2 dimensions, ever?

I think it's just because it's faster. Modern graphics cards handle 3D at blazing speeds, so you can get a lot of mileage out of rendering a 2D game as a trivial 3D game and giving the work to the graphics card.

Cheedows

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a dwarf, right?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2013, 08:45:38 pm »

Either way, this board isn't exactly the liveliest so the OP would have better luck somewhere else

Soadreqm

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm okay with this. I'm okay with a lot of things.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2013, 11:25:20 am »

Graphics were originally adopted because it was apparently a huge hassle to get Code Page 437 displaying right on all platforms.

Oh, I should also say that the movies might be displaying the wrong ascii characters for some people, since I use the higher order ones from 128-255.  I still haven't found a Windows fix for this (although Kevin has for linux).  I'm not sure, but ever since Angband added tile support, it seems they just use their own fonts and render the ascii characters themselves, graphically.  I might end up doing the same thing with Open GL.  It would be a sad day...

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2013, 11:31:12 am »

LCS doesn't display entirely right on Linux for the same reason. It's entirely playable, but the Linux port uses alternate characters to approximate the intended appearance of newspapers, the flag, other graphics and things.