Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 118

Author Topic: Roll to Dungeon Quest - It's not you, it's me.  (Read 191244 times)

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Dungeon Quest - Chapter 1.35
« Reply #495 on: July 04, 2013, 11:14:20 am »

"To be perfectly honest, I am here due to the process of eliminating possible hiding spots for that... whatever his name may have been. And to obtain treasure as well, as a secondary goal. I believe that we are not well-equipped enough to tackle an entire mountain of kobolds, the very heart of kobold civilization, who are probably not going to be very happy to see us, without a reasonable number of things to protect us from massive volleys of arrows and great numbers of spears that they undoubtedly possess."

"Also, this place is full of undead. Since undead don't really occur naturally as far as I know, I'm guessing that something is creating them here. And either this something or its possessions are likely to be of some value, no?"

Get bandage. Fix chest. Then look around for any stray loot on this floor, then carefully approach the staircase, looking out for traps in each direction.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #496 on: July 04, 2013, 03:30:38 pm »

"I'm on the ground- I might as well check for crikin' traps."

Check for traps!  On the ground.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #497 on: July 04, 2013, 04:54:43 pm »

"I'll check for traps as well." Lady Foxglove said, flicking zombie parts off herself daintily.

"And, I'm only here because I don't want my favorite messenger to die."

Action: Check for traps! On the ceiling.
No more crawling! Because the floor is for dirty peasants.
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #498 on: July 04, 2013, 05:41:39 pm »

Bukkar bellows in triumph.
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYEEEEEAAAAH! I FEEL LIKE ROGNUS RABB AT THE FUKKEN BATTLE O' SHITEPILE CRATER!

Spoiler: Rognus Rabb (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: July 06, 2013, 04:27:07 am by Xantalos »
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Chink

• Bay Watcher
  • !
    • View Profile
« Reply #499 on: July 04, 2013, 05:56:26 pm »

"Bukkar, may I please have my arm back?"

Ask Bukkar from my arm, and attempt to reattach it, making sure it's balanced for proper performance.

((Apply the +1 bonus to fixing my arm, please.))
« Last Edit: July 04, 2013, 06:08:43 pm by Chink »

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #500 on: July 04, 2013, 06:04:04 pm »

Eh, sure.

Hand him his arm back, brushing off the blood and dirt.
Sig! Onol

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
Roll to Dungeon Quest - Chapter 1.36
« Reply #501 on: July 05, 2013, 07:35:27 am »

Turn Thirty Six

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYEEEEEAAAAH!! screams Bukkar, still beating the twice dead zombie corpse with Whiz’s arm, I FEEL LIKE ROGNUS RABB AT THE FUKKEN BATTLE O' SHITEPILE CRATER!

Whiz coughs politely during a pause in the screaming.

"Bukkar, may I please have my arm back?"

Eh, sure. Um.

"Thanks. You’re, uh, bleeding a bit there. Looks like quite a nasty toe wound."

Um. Ah.

Bukkar picks a few bits of zombie flesh off his new favourite weapon and awkwardly hands it back to its rightful owner, who once again tries to repeatedly ram it into its socket.

He meets with comparative success! Knowing what to expect, he braces himself and withstands the pain! He doesn’t even pass out a tiny bit!

But when he opens his eyes and lets go of his arm to test it out it just falls to the ground with a slight thud.

Feeling a little forlorn, he gathers it up and tucks it away somewhere in his wizard’s robe, wondering if he’ll ever find a potion for limb replacement in this tedious backwater of a town and hoping that if the zombie that bit him was indeed the infectious kind that it didn’t infect his potentially independent arm and if it didn’t I wonder if it would still be my arm, or would it try to bite me, or something, hmm, if only it had bitten someone else’s arm off...

Get bandage. Fix chest. Then look around for any stray loot on this floor, then carefully approach the staircase, looking out for traps in each direction.

Whiz wishes he had a simple kind of wound, something like, say, a gaping chest hole, something lucky like that, he thinks, until he realises it’s quite unlucky to suffer a gaping chest hole through your brand new chest armour, and he thinks that maybe a severed potentially hostile arm is not so bad, but then he sees Gervedder simply wrap a bandage around his chest, close the gape and stop the bleeding.

He wonders whether he should mope, and seeing Gervedder wander off to look for loot, Tackov haul himself across the floor to look for peasant level traps, and Lady Foxglove examine the ceiling for traps at an appropriate height for one of such elevated breeding, he decides that yes, perhaps he should mope for a bit.

He’s fairly sure he never asked to have his arm bitten off by a rabid zombie.

Bastards.

"I'm on the ground," exclaims Tackov, meanwhile, looking on the bright side, "I might as well check for crikin' traps!"

Ug, thinks Whiz. The optimism. Gah.

"I'll check for traps as well." Lady Foxglove adds, flicking slimy bits of zombie skin and flesh off herself daintily. "And, I'm only here because I don't want my favorite messenger to die."

Eww, thinks Whiz. What… gah. That’s all. What gah.

”What a load of tosh!” shouts Gervedder, returning from his brief check the rest of the cleared level. ”Nothing!! Pff. Let’s go. Carefully.”

…   …   …   …   …   …

The band go, carefully, and sneak gently down the flight of steps into level two of the Temple of Sef. It is, unsurprisingly, increasingly dark; the only air seems to be a slight waft between the stairs they’ve come down and some downward stairs maybe fifty feet to the north. It does nothing to dispel the stench of Medha’s cheese, and on occasion one or other of the adventurers can be seen trying to force back a tiny retch.

They move on cautiously, Tackov checking the floor for traps, Lady F pretending to inspect the ceiling occasionally as she removes the more persistent bits of zombie from her clothing, and Gervedder –

”Aha!”

Gervedder stops at the front of the group.

”Aha!! Now! This is surely loot! Ha!”

Roughly halfway between the two flights of stairs the group find themselves next to, on the left, a simple looking wooden door and, on the right, a gently tinkling fountain of water in a little alcove set off from the main corridor.

Gervedder is pointing at what appears to be a non-reanimated skeleton collapsed in the corner against the fountain, still grasping a lightly glowing sword. On his skull is a finely crafted helmet; around what was his neck hangs a small necklace with the face of the sun engraved upon it. His bones are covered in dozens of gnaw marks.

The skeleton’s other hand appears to be reaching towards the fountain.

There’s a noticeable sound of scrabbling or scratching coming from the door.

Spoiler: GM Notes (click to show/hide)
Current Players:
Spoiler: Tackov Cedtry, Toaster (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Whiz, Chink (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Medha Correo, Errol (click to show/hide)

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Dungeon Quest - Chapter 1.36
« Reply #502 on: July 05, 2013, 08:28:10 am »

"I must say, this looks altogether too promising."

Carefully look about for traps and approach the skeleton. Are there any signs of this wondrous equipment being, say, cursed? Like a demonic whisper, strange markings on it, a conscious desire beyond the ordinary to have it in my possession?

"Since I've got the cuirass already, I say one of you should take the things. That is, unless you don't feel like it."

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #503 on: July 05, 2013, 09:24:50 am »

"Well, any and all, right?

This bony fellow either died from a cursed piece of his own equipment, what looks like many hundreds of rats gnawing at him, drinking the nice looking water, or perhaps not drinking the water fast enough. Probably connected to whatever is behind that door over there.

In my investigate opinion, he was a fellow adventurer like us who had gone this far-he was wounded, long enough to lie down and die properly anyway-something came along and finished him off-or he couldn't move, and died in place. It wasn't anything intelligent, since they would have taken his equipment. It wasn't anything large, since he's in one piece still. Either the water killed him, or it didn't help him, or he didn't reach it in time. So I wouldn't suggest drinking it until we have more evidence. Also, those pieces must be magical-everything else is rotted off him, it seems...

Hmm..."

She took a closer look.

Action: Investigate the crime scene with flashy CSI style evidence zooming special effects. Try to determine more about this poor fellow and the fountain.
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
Roll to Dungeon Quest - Chapter 1.36
« Reply #504 on: July 05, 2013, 10:33:27 am »

Carefully look about for traps and approach the skeleton. Are there any signs of this wondrous equipment being, say, cursed? Like a demonic whisper, strange markings on it, a conscious desire beyond the ordinary to have it in my possession?

Action: Investigate the crime scene with flashy CSI style evidence zooming special effects. Try to determine more about this poor fellow and the fountain.

”Hmm… you’re cleverer than you currently look, milady. But then you currently look like an off-duty apprentice butcher. It’s… fetching.”

”Thanks my dear, I do try… Anyway, fashion aside, the standard procedure in this type of situation is to-”

”Jump?“

”Around -”

”All over the place?“

”At funny angles -”

”Until it makes me sick looking at you? Well, sicker than I felt a minute ago looking at you with bits of zombie flesh hanging off and the background stench of Medha’s cheese?“

”Er yes. And then you have to lean over to get a really good look -”

”Like this?“

”Very good, yes. You’re learning, Messenger. These are advanced techniques, eh. Not your standard stare at the wall whilst running your hands over it in the hope of stabbing yourself on a hidden trap, you know.”

Gervedder takes a few steps backwards. He takes a few steps forwards. He takes one step back and then jumps forward suddenly, so that everything in front of him immediately appears slightly bigger. There don’t seem to be any traps, so he approaches the skeleton as Lady Foxglove jumps dramatically back and forth and from side to side next to him making a kind of box shape with her fingers and peeking through them. It’s a little distracting, and he can’t really make out any signs of a curse or anything particularly out of the ordinary.

The sword looks remarkably well crafted, the blade unclean but sharp, and the weapon’s gentle glow looks rather benevolent.

Leaning further forward, Lady Foxglove examines the gnaw marks on the poor victim.

”Hmm. Bigger than the signature gnaw mark of a rat, or even a giant rat.”

”You think it’s-“

”Yep. Zombies. Probably about 97% sure. Hmm. And these pieces. Everything else has decayed or been… eaten?”

”You think they’re magical?”

”Maybe. Or… metal.”

”Ah. Could be that, too.”

”What’s intriguing is that he hasn’t been reanimated, although the area seems to be crawling with undead. It could mean one of two things: the lack of presence of a reanimating power, or the presence of an animation preventing power. And given the sun carved on this pendant, it’s possible that it’s a Pendant of Protection Against Reanimation. As for the sword and helmet, I guess the only way to find out about them is to try them on…”

”Hmm. Well, I’m rather laden down with protective… chest wear here, so, perhaps...”

”Yes… Anyway, let’s examine this fountain before we do anything extravagant like that. Was the victim trying to reach it? His outstretched hand might suggest so.”

”Or perhaps he was trying to signal, even in death, that it is an evil fountain, a fountain of doom...”

”Yes… You’re always touchingly optimistic as regards human nature, eh Gervedder. So either he reached it, or didn’t reach it, and it either killed him, or didn’t. Since it looks like he may have been gnawed to death by zombies...”

”Or gnawed after dying…”

”Hmm. Blast. Nice looking fountain though.”

”Subtly ornamental.”

”Yes. Quite relaxing.”

”Strange place for a fountain though.”

”Hmm.”

((I will probably be able to get a full turn done early next week, but then I am away for 2-3 weeks – I think I will have read only access to the forums if I have any at all. Please don’t go away in the meantime.))

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #505 on: July 05, 2013, 11:03:36 am »

((Oh blarg. That's a lot of time to RP...me and Gervedder could have had grandchildren by then...

I hope we're all safely ensconced in an RP friendly inn then, and not at a terrible cliff hanger!))

"Just to be safe, let's desecrate his corpse. Then I think I'll take that fetching jewelery for myself. It's a little bit tacky, but I can make it work." Lady Foxglove announces, intending to boot the skeleton to pieces, before taking anything.

One could never tell. She wound up her foot, continuing to conversate.

"Honestly, finding and gambling on possibly magical possibly cursed equipment is one of the hidden joys of the adventurers life. You never quite know, do you!

I recall I once put on a magic cloak I found in a dungeon-it was blue satin, my natural weakness-and I spent a week as a small, rather darling mouse. Lost myself somewhere in the city, rough going. Lucky a little girl thought I was cute, and kept me as a pet. She fed me plenty of apples, and sang alot about how cute I was. It wasn't that bad, really. Thankfully the curse-magic wore off in time or I'd probably still be in that little cage of hers.

Though, I've never really liked apples since then...or cats..."
She rambled

Lady Foxglove momentarily boffed her foot at the offending bone-head, hiya-ing for emphasis.

Action: Boot the skeletons head off. Assuming it doesn't back to life with cheap creepy organ music, take the necklace and PUT IT ON.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #506 on: July 05, 2013, 11:07:21 am »

((I don't plan on leaving any time soon, if I may say so myself.))

"Ah, got an idea."

Smell the water. If that proves non-enlightening, take a bandage and dunk it in the water. See if anything changes with the bandage.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #507 on: July 05, 2013, 11:14:03 am »

"While you are faffing about here..."

Assuming nothing horrible happens after the head is booted, put on the helmet!
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #508 on: July 05, 2013, 12:52:42 pm »

Oi. Move.

Take minor health potion and grab the sword.
Use careful application of thuggery to acquire new health potion from other party member.
Sig! Onol

Chink

• Bay Watcher
  • !
    • View Profile
« Reply #509 on: July 05, 2013, 06:19:01 pm »

Defend my own health potions, and fill one of my empty potion bottles with the fountain water. Stick my arm back into my socket AGAIN and pour the water over it. Also, give Gervedder, Medea, and Bukkar my spare crossbows and quivers, along with some arrows pulled from my infinite quiver.
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 118