Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 118

Author Topic: Roll to Dungeon Quest - It's not you, it's me.  (Read 191450 times)

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
Roll to Dungeon Quest - Chapter 1.11
« Reply #225 on: May 10, 2013, 06:37:10 am »

Turn Eleven

Meanwhile, back in the past…

Lurching upward, still spweing vomit everywhere, Bukkar runs after the thief!

”Hoy! You ... you bilge rat!” screams Bukkar Crangrom, ”I'll keeeel yuuuu! Oh my head…

Lurching to his feet, staggering from lamppost to lamppost, vomiting with such tumultuous force that the force of the blast all but fails to knock him back to the floor, the Magin’ Rage thunders down the dirty street like a herd of stinking angry vomiting camels.

Almost miraculously, after a hard few minutes of chase, he catches up with the thieving miscreant.

”Oiiiii! Turn and… turn!”

Bukkar swings; misses; spins round more than once; and collapses face first on the ground roughly halfway between Medha Correo and Lady Foxglove Vainglorious III.

They both take a step back.

Bukkar retches quietly to himself for a minute or two and then rolls, asleep, into the recovery position. He snores.

…   …   …   …   …   …

Action: Somehow coax someone into coughing up some coffee. I'm leaving this to your devious creativity, lawas. Bacon and scrambled eggs would be optimal.

”So, er… you like ribs?”

”Eh?”

”Ribs,” says Medha, violently poking the armourer in his in what she takes to be a playful coquettish fashion.

He winces.

”Oi!”

”Hmm. OK. Erm You, er… you come here often?”

”I work here, missy… Look.”

The armourer takes Medha gently by the arm and leads her out of his workshop, points up at the sign above the door, and says, in a slow and slightly louder than normal voice that he knows is a tried and tested method of addressing foreigners, ”Jack’s…Armoury… See? Jack’s Armoury. And I’m Jack the bleedin’ Armourer.”

He walks back into the workshop, mumbling to himself about how he thought that would’ve been bleedin’ obvious seeing as how she’d just bloody run into the shop asking him for some bleedin’ chest armour, but no, these daft buggering foreign types are all the same, head in the clouds, and-

”My name’s Medha, what’s your name?”

”Oh bleedin’ Mother of Sef, I just bloody told you! Bleedin’ Jack! Jack the Bleedin’ Armourer! Crikey, if you sort these rats out you’re getting a lovely new shiny cuirass, what more could you bloody want!?”

”Euh… Coffee?”

Action: Lady Foxglove practices chip shots on cans and bottles with her new crossbow while waiting for the Avengers to assemble.

Buy the Health Potion Scroll of Fireball and go with Gervedder(Gervedder isn't here yet, so) start practicing shooting.

Back outside Whiz the Wizard is struggling with the mechanism of his crossbow.  It looked simple enough when that bloody woman did it just now.

”Ping!”

He’s determined not to give her the satisfaction of having to ask her to show him or, gods forbid, bloody well do it for him.

”Pang!”

He grazes his knuckle and sucks some of the blood away.

”Bosh!”

He’s a man, he should know how to bloody well operate such a basic piece of equipment…

”Crang!”

She’s bloody well doing it on purpose. She knows I can’t work this stupid bloody thing and she’s making those stupid bloody noises on bloody purpose. Bloody show off. She hasn’t missed once.

”Pliiiing!”

”Rarrrrrghhhghhgh!”

”You know dear, you’re meant to shoot the bolt. You see – like this: Braaaaap!”

Lady Foxglove Vainglorious III blasts apart another bottle at twenty paces.

”You see, if you wanted to throw the crossbow instead you may as well have just bought a bag of stones or something. Sometimes I really do wonder. Most of you wizardy types are all the same you know – indeed, my father used to tell a joke. How many wizardy types does it take to change a candle, he’d ask, or something like that. Oh, it’s you again. You smell better than normal.”

”Ha!” says Medha, ignoring Lady Foxglove and brandishing a jug of steaming coffee in triumph. ”Let’s get this down that eejit’s throat and get going. Look, here are the others.”

…   …   …   …   …   …

“This is the life, eh?”

“What?”

“I said this is the life! Proper adventuring! So much better than just messenging. And a class above chasing down runty vermin in a field in the cold and dark!”

“We’re chasing ra-“

“Exploring dungeons – no, QUESTING in dungeo-“

“It’s some grubby old armourer’s baseme-“

“Fighting for loot and a noble cause, laden with magic scrolls and weaponry, a cunning rogue at the front…”

“A whatting who where??“

“…a trained battlemaarrrrg!”

Suddenly a giant man-sized fungus seems to leap silently out of the semi-darkness, grabbing Gervedder by the waist and biting furiously at his ankles!

Wound Acquired: Gervedder: Bleeding Ankles!

Status Acquired: Gervedder: Held by a fungus!

Spoiler: GM Notes (click to show/hide)

Current Players:
Spoiler: Tackov Cedtry, Toaster (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Whiz, Chink (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Medha Correo, Errol (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: May 10, 2013, 06:43:44 am by lawastooshort »

Errol

• Bay Watcher
  • Heaven or Hell, Duel 1 -- Let's Rock!
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Dungeon Quest - Chapter 1.11
« Reply #226 on: May 10, 2013, 06:45:50 am »

Is Mr. Thief still around? If so, Curse Of The Fool. Watch, laugh, knife if he does anything funny and reappropriate the contents of his pockets. Caffeinate Bukkar as needed.

In the present... check the basement for any other fungus monsters. Or non-fungus monsters. From a safe distance.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2013, 07:10:14 am by Errol »
Girls are currently preparing signature, please wait warmly until it is ready.

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: May 10, 2013, 06:56:19 am »

Sorry for not being clear - I just assumed he ran off so that you could proceed with caffeinating Bukkar and exploring the dungeon basement.

This is the basement so far:
« Last Edit: May 10, 2013, 06:58:25 am by lawastooshort »

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: May 10, 2013, 07:05:37 am »

Gervedder didn't even know there were any major arteries you could bite open on the ankle. Then again, adventuring was always about discovering new things.

Run up the stairs and spin like some sort of bloody adventure-dervish, hopefully losing the fungus at that. If successful, throw the bastardly thing down the stairs. If not successful, try to staunch the bleeding on my bloody ankles with something available. Say, a bandage. Ask Medha very, very kindly if necessary.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2013, 11:44:54 am by Harry Baldman »

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: May 10, 2013, 08:02:45 am »

"You've got something on your leg, Messenger...ewww!" Lady Foxglove shrieked, escarping herself back up the stairs. She wasn't getting giant mold all over her new shirt!

Thinking quickly, she ran back to the ground floor and spoke to the proprietor quickly. With any luck, he kept some foodstuffs on hand when he got hungry in the shop...

"...my good man, do you have any bags of salt?" She asked non-chalantly.

Action: Hike back up the stairs and borrow some salt from the armorer. Or get it in some other way. Then, douse liberally the evil fungus with the acquired salt, killing it with osmotically induced shock!

SCIENCE

((OOC: Also, how does fungus BITE))
« Last Edit: May 10, 2013, 08:07:09 am by Dwarmin »
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: May 10, 2013, 08:30:47 am »

((While my answer would be by binary sporulation, I'd be waiting for La's answer :P))

SomeStupidGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • Just strummin' right along...
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: May 10, 2013, 08:32:18 am »

((With its teeth. Duh. :I))
Your favorite pinko progressive nerd-gal. Probably.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: May 10, 2013, 10:27:14 am »

Bukkar wearily looks up.

Ye want me to fry that? Guh.

Go punch the fungus.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2013, 03:29:34 pm by Xantalos »
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Errol

• Bay Watcher
  • Heaven or Hell, Duel 1 -- Let's Rock!
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: May 10, 2013, 11:38:56 am »

Gervedder didn't even know there were any major arteries you could bite open on the ankle. Then again, adventuring was always about discovering new things.

Run up the stairs and spin like some sort of bloody adventure-dervish, hopefully losing the fungus at that. If successful, throw the bastardly thing down the stairs. If not successful, try to staunch the bleeding on my bloody ankles with something available. Say, a bandage.

Give the messenger the bandage. If he asks very, very kindly.
Girls are currently preparing signature, please wait warmly until it is ready.

Chink

• Bay Watcher
  • !
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: May 10, 2013, 12:54:10 pm »

"Bloody Fungi!"

Jump back and attempt to copy Adelige's method of shooting crossbows to attack the fungus.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: May 10, 2013, 02:43:46 pm »

"It's just a fungus.  The teeth don't even look that menacing!"

SISSY SLAP FIGHT the fungus!
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
Roll to Dungeon Quest - Chapter 1.12
« Reply #236 on: May 13, 2013, 06:37:17 am »

Turn Twelve

Run up the stairs and spin like some sort of bloody adventure-dervish, hopefully losing the fungus at that. If successful, throw the bastardly thing down the stairs. If not successful, try to staunch the bleeding on my bloody ankles with something available. Say, a bandage. Ask Medha very, very kindly if necessary.

"You've got something on your leg, Messenger...ewww!"

”Crikey.”

Many years of running have, clearly, taken their toll on Gervedder Vietzo: horrifically bleeding from the anterior tibial artery, swollen with decades of exercise until it has evolved into a major and vital blood superhighway keeping his precious ankles pumped full of oxygen and stuff, the messenger spins round like some sort of adventure-dervish with rabies, bleeding at the megafungus so hard its wrestler-like grip loosens, and slips, and finally fails.

Gervedder dashes up the stairs, slides on his own blood, bashes his head on a step, and rolls back down, bump by bumpity bump. He rolls over onto his back, staring the awful mushroom in the… face?

It seems to stare right back at him.

Medha, carrying an enormous sack of bandages over her shoulder, starts screaming as she sees the severed major artery spray blood like some kind of terrible wound, and in a horrifying possible premonition of the end of the turn Gervedder sees, in his mind’s eye, the young curse-crafter strip naked and run up and down the corridor vomiting and trying to commit arson.

He acts fast.

”Medha, my lovely dear? Do you think you could possibly spare me one of your bandages? I’m a little too busy bleeding to death from the ankle to acquire one myself, so I thought, I know, Medha Correo – that’s a most obliging terribly polite lovely young woman! I’ll ask her! Very very kindly!”

Medha is stunned into agreement – she takes a bandages from her collection, wangs it the short distance over to Gervedder, and turns, screaming but fully dressed, down the corridor to the left, arms and legs flailing both.

Displaying considerable medical prowess under pressure and a towering death-fungus, Gervedder bandages his near-fatal ankle bite with something like actual competence.

Action: Hike back up the stairs and borrow some salt from the armorer. Or get it in some other way. Then, douse liberally the evil fungus with the acquired salt, killing it with osmotically induced shock!

SCIENCE

Shrieking and wailing at the idea of getting giant mould over her new shirt, Lady Foxglove follows Gervedder’s lead in escaping back up the stairs, slipping over in the messenger’s blood, rolling back down the stairs with a bump bumpity bump, and coming to a halt at the superfungus’s… feet?

Where she differs though, where she no longer follows Gervedder’s lead – and how was she to know that shrieking and wailing are the two things that most antagonise megafungi in their natural habitat – is in shrieking and wailing with such tremendous force that she antagonises the superfungus into attacking her.

Perhaps she should have tried bleeding on it instead.

She can’t quite remember why she wanted any salt as the poor fungus wraps its mushroomy arms around her, enveloping her in its musty grip and bending down to bite her like a mouldy ghoul, but she knows she definitely did.

As it rummages about ineffectively for somewhere nice to gnaw her, Lady Foxglove feels, rather than the sharp puncturing fangs of legend, a slight twinge of disappointment: she still doesn’t know how fungus bites.

Perhaps she’ll find out next turn.

SISSY SLAP FIGHT the fungus!

Or perhaps not!

"It's just a fungus!" bravely shouts Tackov the wind-mage, advancing on the mushroom, "The teeth don't even look that menacing!"

”They look menacing enough from here! Stop prattling on and come and rescue me, you blithering idiot!”

As Tackov flings his arm into the air and then in his turn slips over in Gervedder’s extra-lubrifying blood, he has just enough time before his face hits the floor to, he swears, see the fungus sidestep out of the way and then aim a kick at his head.

Jump back and attempt to copy Adelige's method of shooting crossbows to attack the fungus.

"Bloody Fungi!" cries Whiz, "And bloody Tackov! Your feeble slapping is so bad you’ve taught the fungus locomotion! Watch and learn, windmage: I’ll show you how to take down a giant mushroom!"

He raises his crossbow in the flashy Foxglove style and totally hits the evil mould growth with a slight glancing blow that does nothing at all.

"Perhaps you need to stand slightly further away!" shouts Tackov helpfully from the floor. "You know, further than five feet!"

Go punch the fungus.

Having been staring at his feet – a rather strenuous activity, even after half a jug of coffee – for most of a turn, Bukkar, at the whooshing sound of crossbow fire, looks up in a state of great fatigue.

He kindly offers to fry the giant mushroom mocking his comrades but instead walks up to it and falls victim to its newly taught dodging skills. He totally misses with a series of devastating hooks to the chin.

Suddenly a staggering drunk lurches out of nowhere: he punches Bukkar in the chest and insults his mother, inflicting severe pain!

Severe Pain Acquired: Bukkar Crangrom: Severe Pain!

In the present... check the basement for any other fungus monsters. Or non-fungus monsters. From a safe distance.

Meanwhile Medha screams and flails down the corridor to the left, soon taking another left, then a right, and then spying two wooden doors just ahead of her, and then falling prey to a monstrous rattipede that leaps out of the shadows and trips itself up in front of the poor girl before she can even realise what’s going on.

Spoiler: GM Notes (click to show/hide)

Current Players:
Spoiler: Tackov Cedtry, Toaster (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Whiz, Chink (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Medha Correo, Errol (click to show/hide)

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Dungeon Quest - Chapter 1.12
« Reply #237 on: May 13, 2013, 06:54:48 am »

We are truly amazing, Gervedder thinks as he observes the extremely interesting qualities of his blood. Perhaps this could be utilized somehow. However, this would have to be determined at a later point. Right now, violence is slightly more important.

Load crossbow, quietly sneak up to megafungus and shoot it in the back from point-blank range with said loaded crossbow, then retreat back, hopefully harming it or attracting its attention enough for it to turn its back on Bukkar.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: May 13, 2013, 07:21:55 am »

Lady Foxgloves decided to use her usual tactic when being grappled...

Action: Kick the fungus in the crotch and escape it's grip! No touching!
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: May 13, 2013, 08:08:16 am »

Man, that was some god-awful rolling, considering the 2d6/2 nature of the rolls.

Tackov gasps as he stands back up.  He knew he wasn't much of a fighter, but damn, that hurt!

"Come at me, fungus!"

SISSY SLAP FIGHT some more!

badness of 1-1vs6

:(
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 118