Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 118

Author Topic: Roll to Dungeon Quest - It's not you, it's me.  (Read 191511 times)

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Dungeon Quest - Chapter 1.9
« Reply #195 on: May 08, 2013, 10:01:01 am »

And finally she walks up behind Gervedder. "For being such a good sport, messenger. Couldn't have sold it without your well timed...theatrics. Maybe next time, you can play the Lord and I'll play your Lady? I think I'd enjoy that. Of course you'd have to play the part. Why not clean yourself up a bit? That garish messenger uniform of yours is quite useless now that you've retired from your former profession.

I'm going now to get some things done, anyway...so come along if you like..."
She said sweetly, implications wild-mussing his hair with her free hand and slipping the money in his pocket with the other.

"One never truly retires from messenging, it merely takes a lesser priority in their lives. And I do enjoy being a fool far more than being a lord. Being a lord can be quite dull at most times, unless you're one of those silly buggers who rides off to battle dragons and promptly gets devoured by the forest or worse, succeeds and then becomes a full-on adventurer. I once had to deliver a message to one of those bastards, and he sure was tough to get a hold of. You should really stick with Whiz if you want a lord - he's a bit more plausible as an actual lord. And then you would have an amazing loveless trophy marriage dynamic between you that would probably facilitate certain dealings."

Gervedder stares at Whiz excitedly for a moment, taking a step toward him and away from Adelige. Having mentally conjured up the image of the mighty mage-lord Whiznificent, he turns to the woman.

"All in all, a grand idea. But you should probably invent an alias for him in that case. I'm not sure Lord and Lady Whiz would sound quite plausible. I'll get back to you on that later."

The messenger is about to run off, but remembers something.

"Oh, and in case I forgot to tell you guys," he says, looking over everyone, "Mount Kuriel is the kobolds' den. And it's to the east of the plains, largest mountain. Just thought I'd tell you all."

And with that, he runs off at last.

Action Addendum: Liberate self politely from Lady Foxglove after tipping Deafarse and the other guy (Cadge-ear?) and look for an armorer. Inquire on the price of an iron cuirass and a helmet.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2013, 10:04:47 am by Harry Baldman »

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: May 08, 2013, 10:01:32 am »

Guuuuuh. Hizdlzdlzdlz. Faaaak. Fukken cheap ale...

Stagger through town, sniffing for the aroma of coffee or bacon.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: May 08, 2013, 10:10:41 am »

Tackov rolled his eyes as he walked away from Lady Foxglove.  Well, at least she was effective...

Find a shop dispensing fine swag for one trained in the magical arts.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: May 08, 2013, 10:15:58 am »

"One never truly retires from messenging, it merely takes a lesser priority in their lives. And I do enjoy being a fool far more than being a lord. Being a lord can be quite dull at most times, unless you're one of those silly buggers who rides off to battle dragons and promptly gets devoured by the forest or worse, succeeds and then becomes a full-on adventurer. I once had to deliver a message to one of those bastards, and he sure was tough to get a hold of. You should really stick with Whiz if you want a lord - he's a bit more plausible as an actual lord. And then you would have an amazing loveless trophy marriage dynamic between you that would probably facilitate certain dealings."

Lady Foxglove felt the slippery messenger escape her perfumed grip and dash away.

"...well, he sure can run...and I love a chase." She observes, smiling to herself.

But onto other matters...

"I've got 3/4ths of a robe and some too small armor. I wonder what I could get made with that?

Search for a tailor who is willing to repair my robe with the Raider Armor. If I can't find one, look for a magic shop.

"...You're coming with me, Whiz. I need at least one person in this squad that's not a fashion disaster aside from myself." She says, grabbing him by his collar and dragging him toward the swaggy area of town. They were going to the same place anyway, they could at least get matching ensembles.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2013, 01:16:24 pm by Dwarmin »
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

Errol

• Bay Watcher
  • Heaven or Hell, Duel 1 -- Let's Rock!
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: May 08, 2013, 12:31:15 pm »

"You're just envious of my ribcage, hehehe. Well, I'm comin' with you for now. Never know when you need a curse! How 'bout the 'So Beautiful, It's A Curse' pack? Only four yuros, and that's cutting into me own ribs!" Casually take out the severed rib and fashion it into a necklace. Walk off equally casually, with Foxglove, just to see what she's doing and maybe shenanigans will happen.

Then stock up on actual bandages at the next place that offers them. Look for a magic shoppe of the more seedy sort or some place to buy chest protection as well.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2013, 12:34:01 pm by Errol »
Girls are currently preparing signature, please wait warmly until it is ready.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: May 09, 2013, 12:07:17 am »

"You're just envious of my ribcage[...]"
((This got me laughing regardless of context XD))

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
Roll to Dungeon Quest - Chapter 1.10
« Reply #201 on: May 09, 2013, 07:27:20 am »

Turn Ten

Give Deafarse Morris and his mate a dime (10 green farthings) each for their exceptionally helpful advice.

Action Addendum: Liberate self politely from Lady Foxglove after tipping Deafarse and the other guy (Cadge-ear?) and look for an armorer. Inquire on the price of an iron cuirass and a helmet.

Gervedder hands Deafarse and Cadge-ear a handful of green farthings each – enough to probably buy a gallon of ale each but not enough to keep track of – and wanders down a likely looking street that branches off away from the main square.

After a good deal of distraction and diversion which seems inexplicably to take hours, he comes across a decent looking armourer’s workshop and asks about some basic armour.

”An iron cuirass and a helmet you say? I could do you the pair for, say… 200 Yuros? You’ve got to admit, that’s quite a bargain, seeing as how it’d probably reduce your chances of serious injury to the relevant parts by, ooh, about one sixth?”

Stagger through town, sniffing for the aroma of coffee or bacon.

Meanwhile, in the seedier parts of town…

”Guuuuuh. Hizdlzdlzdlz. Faaaak. Fukken cheap ale...”

Bukkar keels over in a corner to retch profusely, and before he can react some lowlife smacks him over the head with a brick and ransacks his pockets!

He flees before Bukkar can even stop retching!

Find a shop dispensing fine swag for one trained in the magical arts.

”Fine swag!” calls the fairly round man standing behind a stall outside of a dark-windowed shop down a side street.

”Fine swag for one trained in the magical arts! All genuine and legit! Oh, ‘ello sir! What you be after then? Ooh, wait – you look as though you might be trained in the magical arts. Come inside. You after something genuine and legit? Or just some kind of… love potion or something? Ha! A fine looking fellow like you wouldn’t be needing a love potion, eh? I bet you just need to wink and smile, eh? Eh? Nudge nudge? Wink wink? Eh? I bet your wife’s a g- er… anyway… What you after?”

Action: Take ten Yuros and look for some sort of beauty salon-get my hair done up nice in a place with a vanity quenching mirror to check my reflection. Drag Grevedder Whiz clothes shopping if he does not resist too much. He needs to look PRESENTABLE.

Search for a tailor who is willing to repair my robe with the Raider Armor. If I can't find one, look for a magic shop.

Not far away, close to the main square, Whiz the wizard is standing arms folded in growing boredom and irritation as he watches Lady Foxglove Vainglorious III’s reflection in the long and well lit mirror in what, he’s been assured, is a beauty salon. It’s a new experience for him. As he watches slightly less vain and glorious customers come and go, nattering like hamsters and preening like peacocks, he’s not entirely sure he sees the point.

Envying Medha’s freedom – she has just finished watching the pair through the window and left to find something more interesting to spend her money on – Whiz turns to leave. He might not see the point of this level of vanity, but he’s growing more and more aware that his dress is rather badly torn, and he means to attend to it.

”WHIZ! I say dear! We aren’t very well done yet, are we. I said last night: you MUST look PRESENTABLE! Don’t move another inch before this lovely mademoiselle has finished this last eyelash!”

…   …   …   …   …   …

A few hours later Whiz finally escapes. He has tried on more outfits in these few hours than he had during the rest of his adult life, but he’s escaped. He’s carrying more than 7 Yuros worth of fine –and presentable – clothing in a variety of prettily decorated paper bags, but after several minutes of bitter verbal struggle he’s managed to retain his three quarter length dress, and he’s now searching for a tailor with less fancy clientele who might be willing to repair it for him.

It’s his favourite dress and he’s had it for years.

Barely thirty minutes later it’s his favourite dress with mastercrafted leather reinforced shin protection!

Item Acquired: Whiz: Raider’s Dress of Shin Protection

Casually take out the severed rib and fashion it into a necklace. Walk off equally casually, with Foxglove, just to see what she's doing and maybe shenanigans will happen.

Then stock up on actual bandages at the next place that offers them. Look for a magic shoppe of the more seedy sort or some place to buy chest protection as well.

Medha’s feet should feel tired after hours following Lady Foxglove and Whiz traipse around various fancy clothes shops; after miles dashing up and down from shops of General Physick to seedy disreputable Magic Shoppes, but they don’t. It’s hard to notice the fatigue in her feet when nearly all of her mind is concentrated on feeling terribly terribly smug about the amazing necklace she happened to just casually fashion out of her own rib whilst waiting for Whiz to step out of yet another changing room.

She stops once again to stare at her reflection in a shop window.

She can’t help herself but smile: she can’t fathom out what, exactly, it might do, but her new rib necklace is obviously of tremendous power – or at least, tremendous for her, mere Level One Curse Crafter! Ha – if only they could see her know, back at Curse Crafting College. She’d shove their Miss Most Likely To Accidentally Curse Herself Class of 842 right up… right up their… dammit… right up somewhere painful.

Medha notices someone looking at it – or her – greedily as she fondly and absent-mindedly fingers the lowest point of the necklace. A lecherous looking ugly man with a large gut spilling out from under his grubby brown shirt like rising bread dough.

Suddenly her fingers seem to tingle like the passing of pins and needles and there’s an ominous crack that Medha seems to recognise – an ominous crack and a dull thud as the lecherous man falls to the ground, writhing in pain with his ribs poking out through his shirt! Blood spurts bountifully and comically into the air!

Item Acquired: Medha: Neckless of the Ribless

As the man gasps like a fish Medha thinks quickly. Nobody else in the street’s seemed to notice yet, but there’s a dying man spraying blood all over the floor and she’s the only person nearby.

Any passing eejit might well put two and two together.

She ducks into the shop next door.

”Got anything for chest protection, my good sir? Hehehe. Oh, hello there, Gervedder! I was just… looking for an armourer...”

”I’ve just said it to the gentleman here and I’ll say it to you too – I’ve got a nice shiny iron cuirass – that’d be a breastplate, to the uninitiated, ma’am – which you can have with a nice shiny helmet for two hundred Yuros. How about it?”

Medha mentally counts through the few coins she has left in her pocket. She frowns to herself. She’s nearly two hundred short.

”Hmm – well. You both look fairly reputable types, though I dare say praps you’ve fallen on hard times. I’ll let you in on a little secret. I’ve got a bit of a rat problem in me basement. Ha! Yes, hard to fathom it, int it, but it’s true. See, I’ve also got a bit of a son problem down in the basement. The daft eejit’s got totally carried away trying to study all the magicks and that and I daren’t got down there no more. Gert bloody big rats the size of dogs they are. Right up to here,“ - the armourer points to his thigh – ”and right vicious little buggers. I haven’t been able to get to me stocks of iron for days. If you can shoo them off and tell me son he’s a naughty bloody boy and take… take away his stupid bloody magick, or whatever it is making all these gert big rats swarm about down there, then I’ll let you have your breastplates free, the two of you. Got a bit of a rat phobia, see, I have, and the last time I tried to stop him I didn’t hear the end of it for days. Good for his education, the wife  says… Better’n growing up half deaf as a bleedin’ armourer, she says. Half deaf! Who wouldn’t be, after ten years listening to that foghorn! Eh?”

He mumbles on for nearly a minute before remembering his customers.

”So – how about that, instead?”

Spoiler: GM Notes (click to show/hide)

Current Players:
Spoiler: Tackov Cedtry, Toaster (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Whiz, Chink (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Medha Correo, Errol (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: May 09, 2013, 10:13:44 am by lawastooshort »

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Dungeon Quest - Chapter 1.10
« Reply #202 on: May 09, 2013, 08:54:32 am »

"For free, you say? Well, if there's free breastplates for two of us, then I'd say beating up some dog-sized rats may very well be worth it. Incidentally, how many rats are we looking at here? Half a dozen? Dozen? Uncountable legions?"

Gervedder pauses and looks over at Medha.

"So, mind getting back to our fine compatriots? Would like some backup, as dog-sized rats are probably no simpler to eliminate than actual dogs. I'm asking you because you probably know where at least a few of them are, unlike me. Tell them there's magic and armor in it for the group."

He turns to the armorer.

"You wouldn't mind if we brought our companions along on this, would you, dear fellow? It would make the entire thing more expedient and such."

Converse!
« Last Edit: May 09, 2013, 08:56:19 am by Harry Baldman »

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: May 09, 2013, 09:04:53 am »

Tackov sizes up the merchant.  "Oh, I'm not picky- I know a fine merchant such as yourself has several magical wares for sale.  Perhaps something on the order of expanding my magical repertoire?"
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: May 09, 2013, 09:05:08 am »

Converse!

”Well, you could bring ‘em along, but I’ve only got two bloody spare breastplates! They’re prime raw whatnots, you know, not worn-out hand me downs! The wife would bl- Anyway. No, no I don’t mind your companions, as long as they don’t make a mess and get Billy out of there in time for dinner this evening and don’t encourage him too much with all the magicking. As for how many, well, it’s hard to tell – they’re kind of magick like, like what I said, eh? And, y’know, it’s quite hard to count when you’re having a panic attack...”

Tackov sizes up the merchant.  "Oh, I'm not picky- I know a fine merchant such as yourself has several magical wares for sale.  Perhaps something on the order of expanding my magical repertoire?"

”Right - that’s starting to get into quite a pricey realm, innit, eh? Cheapest things I’ve got are these minor mana potions, minor health potions, a couple of scrolls of Beginner’s Fireball and my last scroll of Inflict Flatulence… bit of a favourite round the party season, that was. Anyway, I’ll do any one of them for 5 Yuros, and that’s letting you rob me blind.”
« Last Edit: May 09, 2013, 09:13:34 am by lawastooshort »

Errol

• Bay Watcher
  • Heaven or Hell, Duel 1 -- Let's Rock!
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: May 09, 2013, 09:07:25 am »

"More is better, yes. But shouldn't you go for it, as a messenger and someone Lady Stuck-Up might actually take seriously? I know she's having fun with her pretty boy at that one beauty salon. Seems she likes it when they struggle, nyehehehe..." She catches the armorer looking at her funny, and stops.
"Unless they're already gone. Can't do stuff about that. I could look for some other of our heroes, though? Bukkar shouldn't be hard to find. Just follow the trouble."

Also, retrobuy bandages for all of my money.
Girls are currently preparing signature, please wait warmly until it is ready.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: May 09, 2013, 09:15:14 am »

"Beauty salon, you say? Well, couldn't be too far. Okay, I'll go find Adelige and Whiz, you find the two others."

He once again directs his attention to the armorer.

"Oh, two breastplates is not a problem. But say, would you mind if we commandeered some of your son's magical supplies? After all, it would be counterproductive to give them right back to him, wouldn't it? You'd have rats across the bloody living room in that case, and you don't want that, do you?"

Get answer from armorer, then run off to find Lady Foxglove and Whiz in the shopping part of town.

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: May 09, 2013, 09:19:10 am »

"Oh, two breastplates is not a problem. But say, would you mind if we commandeered some of your son's magical supplies? After all, it would be counterproductive to give them right back to him, wouldn't it? You'd have rats across the bloody living room in that case, and you don't want that, do you?"

Get answer from armorer, then run off to find Lady Foxglove and Whiz in the shopping part of town.

The armourer scratches his chin for a second, torn between his dislike of his son’s rat mutating and his equally strong dislike of the feeling of giving anything away for free. He grudgingly gives in.

”Hrmm, well, I suppose you could commandeer just a tiny bit? But don’t go over the top like. If he sees you taking everything he’s liable to throw one hell of a tantrum, anyway, so it’d be counterproductive not to give’em straight back, in a sense…”

((Also Errol I have retro-added your 80 bandages))

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: May 09, 2013, 09:21:02 am »

Having staved off another offensive from the forces of aging naturally with a legion of expensive cold creams and eye liner, Lady Foxglove decided it was time she made her way to the Captains lodgings. It was time for an audience with the Lord...maybe they could manage to actually get on the mission before being distracted by side quests, like killing giant rats or harvesting bear bladders or something equally foolish.

She looked at herself in the mirror one last time-at that moment realizing whiz had vanished off to the tailor, probably using magic...that swine. She had at least two dozen more poofy shirts for him to try on!

Fox turned to her own fashion, then. Hmm, This land was dreary and in need of her unique brand of inspiration. Also, she had Lumithea in the summer and come out in world where it was winter! Her seasonable ensemble was in ruins! To say, well..the red flowery hat was a bit too sanguine for this time of year. Ooh, what about the Sash? Aquamarine matched her eyes! And it was oh so swishy and hot...but, pearls in the winter? Oh Gods no...she wasn't a barbarian! Maybe the pleated slacks were a bit too much, also...unless she matched them with this darling shirt...tanned canary yellow, loose and certainly informal-not to mention attention getting. Why not? Life was about taking risks! She could do worse...and...ooh, she just had to have these shoes...

*abbreviated for times sake*

Action: Adjust my wardrobe for super presentability.

Otherwise, wait to get summoned by the messenger!

((@Lawas: Ey, my vanity penalty should be off my sheet for now :P
Also, where'd my 8 Yuros go? The price of fashion? I don't see anything in my inventory...))
« Last Edit: May 09, 2013, 09:23:51 am by Dwarmin »
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: May 09, 2013, 09:22:59 am »

((@Lawas: Ey, my vanity penalty should be off my sheet for now :P
Also, where'd my 8 Yuros go? The price of fashion? I don't see anything in my inventory...))

Whoops, so it should.

The 1 Yuro was for the beauty salon, the 7 Yuros was the price of Lord Whiz's fashion ;)
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 118